Contract problem with Orange Dominicana

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
On 24/11/2010 we took out a contract for Orange's Internet to the house with the Orange shop in Las Terrenas
, NET Hogar - 18 meses/FLEX, in my wife's name. 18 months later, May 2012 we told our local Orange shop that we did not wish to renew this contract as their service had been atrocious. Sure enough they stopped sending (by email) any more invoices. Then some three months later my wife started receiving almost threatening voice and text calls from a nameless person saying that she should go to their office either in Santo Domingo or Samana to do the paper work and pay RD$ 10,000 to a bank account with Banco Popular. They have sent us nothing in writing on their headed and signed paper to our email address to where they used to send their invoices The "Solicitud de Servicios de Comunicacion" very clearly states as above 18 months. Both the initial request for service and the termination of service were made at the same geographical location.
We suspect a scam of some type this also the opinion of friends of ours.
What can we do to stop it , my wife is getting quite upset with the threats of going to court etc.
HELP please.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Whenever I receive an unwanted call for whatever reason I tell them to please hold. Then I put the phone down and continue whatever I was doing. Later when I pick it up no one is there. This drives them nuts. They talk and talk untill they realize no one is there. Also if it is a scam they need to pay for this.

In your case do nothing, pay nothing no matter what, and never talk to them. They will give up.

This is definitely a scam. The tipoff is putting the money in Banco Popular. If it was a bill from Orange they would tell you to pay it at an Orange store. Pay them no mind.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Rather 'prepago

Then some three months later my wife started receiving almost threatening voice and text calls from a nameless person saying that she should go to their office either in Santo Domingo or Samana to do the paper work and pay RD$ 10,000 to a bank account with Banco Popular.

I also think it is a scam and Orange (maybe even INDOTEL) should be told about it.
It seems that there is someone in their ranks who has access to your data (and those of others) and tries to squeeze money out of (former) customers.

Anyway, it is good to know.
We are just buying a phone from Orange (bye, bye Jodetel) and will not opt for a plan with them sending invoices but rather get 'prepago'.

The least you have to do with red tape here, the better it is for your nerves. ;)

donP

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
I had a similar call but never got as far as asking where to deposit payment. Not sure if it was legit or not. The threats sounded similar though.

I do have a dispute with Orange over a flybox that I used one month and tried to return because the service was so egregiously bad. None of the offices in Las Terrenas had the authority to change the original contract. I went with a different internet provider who promised to resolve the situation with Orange but nothing has happened (internet has been great though). Happy to pay a penalty but not the whole nut for something which has been worse than useless. Do I need a lawyer? Any suggestions about where I have to go and what I have to do to resolve this are welcome.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just forget about it. Don't pay them one peso. I have had similar problems with these morons, and there is nothing they can do to collect.