Something to do that is different in Santiago: Anan?s

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
ANAN?S is the student restaurant at PUCMM-Santiago. It is hidden in back of the Student Center and seats perhaps 50 persons all told. It has a nice menu at great prices. Call 809 580 1962 ext 4618. English is spoken, for reservations.

You will be served by students of the Hotel Administration program which is winning prizes all over. Their professor, Esteban, a young Chilean chef, gave me a great tour of the place yesterday. And many of my students-former students-are there to serve you.

Yes, there is a nice, modest wine list.

This week-today, Friday is the next-to-last week of this year's session. Bon apetit , buen provecho, and To your health! They will be open next week Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Make reservations early as I tried to go there today with Jinty and Palaut and it was full until 2:00.

HB (you can tell them I sent you!)

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Okay, here is what went down.

Excuse me if there are nonseguitors and silly mistakes. It was a heck of an afternoon.

I went up to Max Delicias by the Monument to meet up with Pelaut and Jinty and Pelaut's son Allen.
We had a flock of beers--ice cold Bohemia Extra-- and waited for Mrs. Jinty. Pretty soon it was close to 2:00 so I asked if they wanted to forget the criollo menu and try the University place. They agreed and I called.

"Yes, professor, we can seat 5."

So we get there at about 2:30 and have a wonderful table. Decoration and decor is really nice. Remember this is the semester grade for these kids. Place is spic and span.

We order Entrees which were delicious and then we had the main dishes. Huge porkchops for Jinty and Allen, breaded fish for Mrs Jinty, something Italian in a rich sauce for Pelaut and I had shrimp with a yucca pur?. And wine, oh we had wine. A wonderful Argentinian Malbec that was just smooth and with nice body. Oh it was good food.

Considering the beers, we made use of the "facilities" which were in perfect shape.

I asked the maitre'd about next week and she said that they are now taking reservations for lunch and dinner seatings.

Folks this is a hidden gem...you really gotta try it!!

HB, sated and oh-so-happy...

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Sounds interesting HB, thanks for sharing that info. More or less how much would it set me back?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Said like a true Scotsman!

Entrees were between 125 and 250. Main courses were (remember this is lunch, there is a different menu for dinner) as much as 400. All told with all the wine (maybe 3 or 4 glasses each?) The bill was less than 2700, for five adults who ate like they were starving! The Dominican saying: "Oye, los platos no paren!" came into mind.

And we tipped, since the kids use the tips to pay for breakage (they are hotel administrators and need to know all this).

GO! You will not regret it!

HB

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
Loved it! i had the "delicia de res" and their mousse "semifreddo", top notch!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Great!! Thanks for posting. I told one of my students about this thread and she said she was going to read it to the group. Your comments here are appreciated.

HB

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
This sounds great . I have fond memory's of working in the on campes restaurant at Johnson & wales . I am happy to here that the students well have this valuable experience before going in to a paying job . I well be there to get fat on my next trip to the Dom Rep .

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I can certainly verify the Prof's rating for this fine dining room. A real touch of class! These students really give you star treatment for McDonald's prices. We had a wonderful luncheon!!! So much so I have booked for this coming Friday.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just got a peek and the evening menu...RD$675 all included!! Wow....

Can't wait to go there tomorrow.

I will report next semester when the new crew opens shop so you will have more time to get ready..

Cordially,

HB

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
HB - will they open next semester? I thought it was just once a year.

Delicious food - we went when they first opened and it was amazing. IMO better than the 2011 project!

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Hillbilly and Jinty are spot on. These kids do all the jobs from commissary to kitchen to bar and restaurant staff, and they do it with knowledgability, good humor and broad smiles. Their products are what you would expect in the for-pay gourmet restaurants of the best cruise ships. I'm not a big fan of super-fancy presentation, but I am somewhat of a gourmand. They put out a lavish presentation, but it in no way hides beneath it, as often happens, poor fare. If I could give Michelin stars, Anan?s would get 2? out of the exeptional 3.

Thank you, Hillbilly, for taking us there. And thank PUCMM for hospitality training rarely evidenced in the resorts and cruise ships I've experienced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Talked to Margarita Odette this morning before class. She told me that they are booked almost solid today.

Unfortuantely, she also told me that there will be no more restaurant until next November!!!....Sorry if you missed it! :8^((/

Okay, that was the bad news. Now the good news.

This class will be working of buffets this coming semester, with accomodations for up to about 100 persons. Any ideas?

The first thing I thought of was a Charity Buffet for the orphanage! Sort of like what goes on at Rocky's at Thanksgiving time.

I need to find out if we can do it on a Saturday so we get everyone there!! Mansos and cimarrones all together, eating and drinking....What say? Or on a Friday.

I'll talk about this a bit later after I talk to the professors.

Abrazos, and bon app?tit,

HB

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
HB....I just got back from Santiago and WISH I had seen this thread! Uggghhh!! I would have loved to check it out.

I am gonna be back Dec/Jan, if there is anything good in that time frame post it up here so I can check it out. Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Talking to a few of our friends here these past two-three days, it seems that the idea of a Charity Banquet catered by these folks might fly. On Monday, I will be talking to the professors and seeing about dates. As I understand it, we can seat 100.

Last night's dinner was great!! I had the fish, perfect with a touch of curry. The lady had the pork loin and the host had Tortilini (sp??). We nearly came to blows over the mousse...hehehe....it was good...and the Norton Malbec was oh so smooth...too smooth and this hillbilly had a glass or two too many! WOW...what ambience, friends and good food will do the a person's will power!

Later all,

HB