cost of watchman

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a watchman for a residence? I would be interested in knowing the price for an evening to morning shift, and a 24 hour shift. Cheers.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Depends on the area..... we pay 50-60 pesos/hour.... and he has a gun

Use a service if you can..... way easier to manage for sickness, replacement, etc
That is our service's charge I quoted

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks WW. This would be for Santiago. Do they offer discounts for longer times, say for a 24hr watchman?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks WW. This would be for Santiago. Do they offer discounts for longer times, say for a 24hr watchman?

RD$50-60 per hour is up to US$1.50. From that, the company has to take its profit, cover its expenses, and pay the watchman. You can imagine how much he gets.

This poorly paid person is being asked to guard your house/property.

When you think about it, you can understand why the first person the police suspect when there is a robbery of something guarded by one of these watchmen, even if the watchman is tied up and gagged, is the watchman.

How much less do you think your watchman should be paid?

As William Webster recommended, best to use a good service, one that has good supervision of its employees and a good reputation.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
We used the “best security” company in our area for about 4 months @ RD $8,000 per month, night shift only. ENOUGH was just that.... they fired. We would get a good guy that did a good job and made the hourly rounds and logged in at each post. He left after a couple of weeks. Then a new guy and new supervisor that didn't know the routine. I had to a new one every couple of days. I talked to the big boss and asked to see the rounds log in sheet.... Ahhhh. The system is broken.

I would get up in the middle of the night and find them sleeping, not making their rounds. Late show ups so that we would have to wait for them and making us late for evenings out with others.

One night; 4 dogs barking and gun shots outside our gate. The guard slept thou the whole thing. The company wanted to switch guards so started shooting off rounds. How smart was that? I fired the company the next morning. I'd rather depend on myself and my own systems then go thru that again.

Lots has been written about this and I learned and put some in.
Automatic night security lights. (I didn't put in the movement sensors because of dogs.)
Electric front gate and garage door.
Cheap do it myself alarm system.
Dogs.
Razor wire on some walls with thorny bougainvillea growing on it to cover the razor wire.
Other thorny plants worked into our landscaping.
Cameras. Some work and some fake. All need power so the little red power light and night light works.
Reinforced doors with keyed deadbolts or quick slide bolts.
A couple of iron gate doors/windows at higher risk points
A “safe” room AND escape plans.
Cell phone in the 'safe” room with all the needed numbers. (don't depend on help)
Car alarm fob in “safe” room to set that off car alarm and lights.
Pepper spray, a hunting knife, a throwing ax are hidden here and there.
Double pain windows/sliders with safety glass; hard to break.
Bright... VERY BRIGHT flashlights.
My buddy “Bob”.... 9mm at my side 24/7. And anyone that lives or works around us knows it.

Sounds like a lot and would cost a lot. Not so much in the long run and..... I don't have to worry about the security guy getting a goods night sleep......... or planning to rob you as is usually the case.

And NO, we do not look like a prison. Most things no one notices UNLESS they are looking for them and that is what we want. We have had attempted robberies, but they never even got onto our property or over the walls.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Imo here in Santiago only the richest people or high profile business owners have full time guachis. Unless you are involved in a risky business or lots of jewelry or money lying around I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. In fact it could actually draw more attention. My opinion is to have a good security system, dogs and don't do things to make you stand out, like having a Land Rover or BMW. As the middle upper class is on the rise here in Santiago it's no big deal to have a nice house and car. Just my two cents.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I would avoid employing a guachi if at all possible. Get a dog have Belgian K train it for you and follow Ringos plan. In my limited experience I have found that the only honest guachis are too old to do anything. The young ones are usually part time criminals.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
A couple of other tips that I've learned when first getting here to get me started. I had to stop and remember what it was like when we first moved here...

BE AWARE OF WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND YOU. YOU are the first security force.

TAKE PHOTOS. Someone or people hanging around your place with no reason. Take photos and let them know that you are doing it. Mumble something about... internet as you leave. This little and simple procedure worked amazingly well. I had one very irritated man return with the police after I had taken his photo. I was on MY side on my property. I then took a photo of him with the police and I walked away. End of story.

IF your dogs are barking.... get up and LOOK. You can stay out of sight to some degree but just YELLING at the dogs tells whom ever they are barking at that you are up and watching. Your dogs sounded the alarm.... YOU must act on it.

NEVER let anyone inside your place that you don't know. I don't care WHO they say they are or from. Demand their ID card and business card and phone number that you can call to verify. No ID, no card or phone? Walk away, NO additional talk is needed... just walk. In some cases I would call my Lawyer and tell them to talk to him. 99% quickly left. OH.... have your cell phone with lawyer number on speed dial and let the person know what you are doing. BUT NEVER OPEN YOUR GATE OR DOOR BEFORE EVERYTHING IS GOOD AND BE RUDE IF NEEDED. GOT THAT?

NEVER put you hand though your fence/gate/door/car window.... NEVER. They can grab your hand and you have lost. If they are trying to give YOU something... let them pass it to you.

Have outside lighting NOT shine into your place. You want to see them and them not seeing you.

Put window drapes/blinds up. Simple and cheap. Again... keep where you are and what you do so others don't know.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Are there any alarm companies in santiago that monitor your home similer to ADT available in the US ?

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
While on the subject of security. For the dr1ers that live in Santiago do you guys feel safe? Have you or anyone you know have been recently a victim of an assault? Thanks.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Wow! What has happened to paradise? It seems like it's safer in the South Bronx. Being an island boy myself, I know all the security is needed, but I don't think I could live like that.

george1

Jan 2, 2011
All the advice given so far is very accurate and reasonable. In addition, let me just mention one thing as well. Hiring a Guachi here is not like hiring brinks in Europe.
As stated before, most Guachis are extremely unreliable and great cowards and the worst chismosos. The one in my building in Cazicasgos actually turns of the water pump all night long so his slumber does not get disturbed by the noise the pump makes since he has a mattress set up near it.
Also, please consider that the vast majority of all crimes I read about have THE GUACHI involved! I had two huge dogs for years and nothing ever happened.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
"NEVER put you hand though your fence/gate/door/car window.... NEVER. They can grab your hand and you have lost. If they are trying to give YOU something... let them pass it to you".

WOW !! Where are you living ?? Sounds like some serious bandits in your hood.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
NEVER put you hand though your fence/gate/door/car window.... NEVER. They can grab your hand and you have lost. If they are trying to give YOU something... let them pass it to you.

WOW !! Where are you living ?? Sound like some serious bandits in your hood.

Pauleast,

Some criminals do grab your hand when you put your hands through the fence/gate/door/car window. But it mostly happens when you are in the zoo or at Great Adventures safari tour in NJ.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Thanks Ken. I personal would chouse Alerta over a person sleep in the job. I am sure it has it's flats as with everything . Has anyone had any experence with this type of security system ?