Kindle Readers!

slb1

Jul 1, 2012
I am considering getting a Kindle reader from Canada to use here in the DR. However I am wondering if anyone has experience with this as I have limited internet access (just use the sticks for my computer) and so I wont have wifi to connect to to download books. Can I download the books on my computer and transfer them to the reader or something? Or go to an internet cafe and download from there?
THANKS

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
You can put them on your computer and then connect your Kindle to your computer using a USB cable and transfer them that way.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is also freeware available that will change one format (commonly .pdf or .epub) into the .mobi format the Kindle requires: calibre - E-book management

So you're not limited to Amazon and the Kindle format.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Alter Ego one of our moderators has a Kindle and knows the how to about uploading in the DR.
Send her a pm

http://www.dr1.com/forums/members/alterego.html

Like Cobraboy, I use Calibre. If the book comes to me in an e-mail, I open it with Calibre. [Calibre is a free program]

Once it's in Calibre, I can convert it to .mobi regardless of the original format. If you plug your Kindle into the USB port, Calibre automatically recognizes it, and a button appears allowing you to choose what books you want on the Kindle - and then you just click and in seconds they are on the Kindle. I also use Calibre to manage my books, i.e. remove the ones I've read.

My son has a Kindle Fire, and it reads more than .mobi files.

The most widely used format that is not supported on the Kindle is the EPUB open source format, used by many other e-readers such as the Nook from Barnes and Noble. Amazon may eventually add EPUB compatibility to the Kindle; in the meantime, free programs such as Calibre can be used to convert e-books from EPUB to AZW format. Other formats such as LIT (MS Reader) and LRF (a Sony format) can be converted this way as well. The success of these conversions can be hit and miss but they are options available to Kindle users.
.mobi formats will also work.

I use an Aluratek which •Supports PDF (Adobe Digital Edition DRM/non-DRM), TXT, FB2, EPUB (Adobe Digital Edition DRM/non-DRM), MOBI (non-DRM only), PRC (non-DRM only)and RTF electronic book format.
I use epub or pdf and have a program that will convert to any format, it is called AVS Document converter but it does cost to buy it.

Feb 7, 2007
Kindle also supports .mobi

You can convert epub to mobi with Calibre, as mentioned. It does pretty good job. I have just converted couple of .mobi into .epub

If you get restricted .epub or .pdf (e.g. you actually buy it*) you can un-DRM it with PDF Epub DRM removal **
Pdf epub drm removal - free download - (145 files)

* And you should, right?
** If and when you purchase ebook with your hard earned cash and it comes DRM-restricted, I am deeply convinced you have the moral right to transfer/read it on any device you own and not be restricted by DRM

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I have a Kindle keyboard with 3G, so I can prettymuch use it anywhere. I was downloading books at the airport, in the US and in Canada last week, and I use it all over in the DR without wifi. I'm not sure how the 3G works on the newer Kindles, but for mine, it doesn't cost me anything :)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
ok.. i destroyed my first two kindles.. evidently by simply rolling over on them.. Ah well, yes, another reason to find a novio (kidding, kidding)_

and then of course finding out that with wifi in the apartment, i could order books instantly from anywhere .. and had to cut myself off

now i am having withdrawal and wanting another kindle.

can anyone who has experience with the new upgrades let me know if it is worth it.. for the Fire or whatever?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
ok.. i destroyed my first two kindles.. evidently by simply rolling over on them.. Ah well, yes, another reason to find a novio (kidding, kidding)_

and then of course finding out that with wifi in the apartment, i could order books instantly from anywhere .. and had to cut myself off

now i am having withdrawal and wanting another kindle.

can anyone who has experience with the new upgrades let me know if it is worth it.. for the Fire or whatever?
The Fire is awesome. At $200 it's a serious bargain. We're amazed how long the battery lasts.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The Fire is awesome. At $200 it's a serious bargain. We're amazed how long the battery lasts.

I just received a new Fire HD as a gift. It doesn't seem to have very good battery life. If I use it with wifi turned off, it lasts a day. If I turn on the wifi, the time is less.

Maybe it is because I am someone who reads a lot. I could use the Kindle three or four hours a day, easily.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I just received a new Fire HD as a gift. It doesn't seem to have very good battery life. If I use it with wifi turned off, it lasts a day. If I turn on the wifi, the time is less.

Maybe it is because I am someone who reads a lot. I could use the Kindle three or four hours a day, easily.
Alida uses it to watch listen to music and videos for hours while doing other things, like a radio or TV in the background. We get well over a day on a charge with wifi on.

It's not the Fire HD, don't know if that makes a difference.

Few tablets go for a really long time on wifi or 3G, nor do cell phones.

We do keep it plugged in if an outlet is close by, however.

Besides: they are only $200. Find a batter tablet for that money...

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Alida uses it to watch listen to music and videos for hours while doing other things, like a radio or TV in the background. We get well over a day on a charge with wifi on.

It's not the Fire HD, don't know if that makes a difference.

Few tablets go for a really long time on wifi or 3G, nor do cell phones.

We do keep it plugged in if an outlet is close by, however.

Besides: they are only $200. Find a batter tablet for that money...

OK,

Your Hired!!!!!!!!!!

JASUS CHRIST,

Can u Dummy Down a bit????

F-CK the Texans , GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love ya CB.........

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I am a kindle junkie.. My kids each have one because they are forced (mean mommy) to read daily.. they have 2 of the older kindle's with the full keyboard, and it's AWESOME!!! 1 has the whitepaper kindle (I think that was the name) and I LOVE that.. My kids have the best ones in my opinion.. They are so clear when reading, and they are light.. I love to read in my bed. I have the Kindle Fire, and the HD, and I hate them both. I would have bought a tablet if I wanted something for the Internet. Personally, it's way too heavy to read in bed, and I don't find it as clear as a real book, or the other two kindles the kids have. Sometimes I steal their kindles after they've gone to bed..Shhhh.. don't tell. Just my .02 pesos

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
By the way I can't trade with the kids only because I've tried. Then about 5 minutes into their reading I catch them on games, or online.. lol

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am a kindle junkie.. My kids each have one because they are forced (mean mommy) to read daily.. they have 2 of the older kindle's with the full keyboard, and it's AWESOME!!! 1 has the whitepaper kindle (I think that was the name) and I LOVE that.. My kids have the best ones in my opinion.. They are so clear when reading, and they are light.. I love to read in my bed. I have the Kindle Fire, and the HD, and I hate them both. I would have bought a tablet if I wanted something for the Internet. Personally, it's way too heavy to read in bed, and I don't find it as clear as a real book, or the other two kindles the kids have. Sometimes I steal their kindles after they've gone to bed..Shhhh.. don't tell. Just my .02 pesos
I also think the "regular" kindle is better for reading books because the pages look like paper. The Fire has a slick color screen. We use it more like an internet tablet than ebook reader.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Im still using my kindle 3G and I love it. I bought the leather cover with the built in light and it's great at nite in DR. Its also great to read at the beach - son bought the Fire and he says it's not good at the beach, so he borrows mine.

Have an iPad too but Kindle so much easier for me to read on because just click with the thumb instead of swiping