What to do When You're attacked!

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
About 1pm a young lady 28y/o was attacked and lost her eye near the Abraham Lincon Avenue Atracadores disparan en rostro de una joven para quitarle jeepeta, pierde ojo y peligra su visi?n completa | Noticias SIN - Servicios Informativos Nacionales

This brought me to the question - how do you react when attacked? I'd love to share some useful tips. Feel free to add on to the list.

1. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you. Chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse.

2. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won?t see you, but everybody else will.

3. Some people have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit ? doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON?T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE! If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, Repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.

4. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:
A. Be aware: Look around you, look into your car at the passenger side floor and in the back seat.
B. If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Many killers and rapists attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C. Look at the car parked on the driver?s side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard or police officer to walk you back out - don't just pickout any officer. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)

6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!

7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN!
The predator will only hit you ? a running target ? 4 in 100 times; and even then it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. So RUN! Preferably in a zig-zag pattern!

8. Some people are sympathetic to strangers. It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked for help into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.

Beware of any suspicious driving infront or behind you AND always roll up your windows!

Source What To Do When You’re Attacked

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
No. 1 - I think it is a good idea to not carry too much money in a wallet to hand over. Rest of money can be another wallet or money belt.

yapask1

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'll be frank with you. this is just fantasies. i was attacked in DR and had a gun put against my head. my thinking stopped working altogether. i run on instincts alone. i fought. and screamed. i did not know what i was doing. i just wanted to defend my stupid bag with lousy 41 pesos inside.

we can all give good advice but no one here - apart from maybe ex-military - is trained to act in situations like this. do this, do that, this will not work. all i want to say here is: no matter what fight for your life. and fight you will because there is something inside you that does not want to die. protect your life. screw the wallet, car, whatever possessions. think about yourself.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
i'll be frank with you. this is just fantasies. i was attacked in DR and had a gun put against my head. my thinking stopped working altogether. i run on instincts alone. i fought. and screamed. i did not know what i was doing. i just wanted to defend my stupid bag with lousy 41 pesos inside.

we can all give good advice but no one here - apart from maybe ex-military - is trained to act in situations like this. do this, do that, this will not work. all i want to say here is: no matter what fight for your life. and fight you will because there is something inside you that does not want to die. protect your life. screw the wallet, car, whatever possessions. think about yourself.

You never mention whether the thug successfully made away with your hand bag. Yes, i've been attacked at gunpoint in Santiago and it's a scary experience.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
The fight or flight reaction is strong. Some people will just fight like DV8 for a forty peso bag. I dont see the sense in that but to each his own. Jackie printed some good stuff. A key element to self defense is situational awareness. Be aware of your surroundings, most criminals are not looking for a fight they are looking for easy money. If you notice them and they know you see them they will be less inclined to attempt to harm you. Of course the drunk or drugged up psycho is a different story.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
If alone, I would try to fight back if I see a chance. If with wife or kid I would not take a risk...

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Absolutely NEVER fight back, use every ounce of sense inside to keep yourself from fighting. The vast majority of robberies turning into a murder is an instance where the victim tries to fight back, they will never kill someone that isn't fighting back or trying to keep them from reaching their goal. If you are ever robbed in the DR, DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR ASSAILANT. Never say something like I know who you are, you're in big trouble or anything to that effect, it's another reason for them to waste your ass. Give them everything they ask for while looking away and just be on your merry way afterwards. A large amount of these petty atracos are commited by drug crazed morons with twitchy trigger fingers so do not take your chance. This is coming from a Hospital Corpsman from the US Navy who has done 2 tours in Fallujah in the last 4 years attached to Marine Corps units. Do not fight back or face likely death.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
A tip for women:if you are being attacked,kick the assailant in the nuts,hard! and then run like hell!:D

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Absolutely NEVER fight back, use every ounce of sense inside to keep yourself from fighting. The vast majority of robberies turning into a murder is an instance where the victim tries to fight back, they will never kill someone that isn't fighting back or trying to keep them from reaching their goal. If you are ever robbed in the DR, DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR ASSAILANT. Never say something like I know who you are, you're in big trouble or anything to that effect, it's another reason for them to waste your ass. Give them everything they ask for while looking away and just be on your merry way afterwards. A large amount of these petty atracos are commited by drug crazed morons with twitchy trigger fingers so do not take your chance. This is coming from a Hospital Corpsman from the US Navy who has done 2 tours in Fallujah in the last 4 years attached to Marine Corps units. Do not fight back or face likely death.

This appears to be the standard advice and I would agree.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
There are currently approx 8 countries in the Caribe that have the Death Penalty, and approx 50 worldwide.

I do not think there is a better candidate for such law than the Dominican Republic. But as much as it makes sense, in true DR fashion, you can believe it wont happen. It is very sad how far this country is behind in so many ways yet many continue to put the "Pichardo-ish" spin on it, and sell it as a robust developing country.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

You're lucky you've got away and it was probably because of the element of surprise, your attacker didn't expect to be attacked by a pretty Polish girl ;)
Seriously anybody who is not trained better don't put up a fight because you'll most likely get the short end of the stick. I've been in several life threatening situations during my life and because of my many years of training I'm able to talk about it. Don't try to be a professional when you're just an amateur.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yep, guess you are right. Not that I wasn't trained how to try something BUT I never had to use anything like that in a real situation. So I agree it is better to do as you say and hope the police will kill that moron eventually...

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
There are currently approx 8 countries in the Caribe that have the Death Penalty, and approx 50 worldwide.

I do not think there is a better candidate for such law than the Dominican Republic. But as much as it makes sense, in true DR fashion, you can believe it wont happen. It is very sad how far this country is behind in so many ways yet many continue to put the "Pichardo-ish" spin on it, and sell it as a robust developing country.

The death penalty will never be implemented in the DR for the simple reason that the majority of the Politicians
are liable to be put on Death Row.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
And besides Saudis, who gives death penalty to purse snatchers ?

Some Asian countries. It would however be effective, my point is more for the criminals who actually kill innocent people while committing their crimes. They may think twice if they know once caught its "eye for and eye" Meaning death penalty for murder! This is fair!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

I think the Dominican Republic is actually the worst candiate for death penalty! Prosecutors, which are the ones who handle investigations are political positions. Law enforcement officials have been known to plant evidence or to just to be careless during a procedure, on purpose, to either benefit or ruin someone. If Death Penalty was available, powerful politicians would have a very easy way to get rid of people they find inconvenient.

Corruption and death penalty are actually the worst combination!