Malaria

kouliscon

Nov 6, 2012
Hello

We will be travelling to DR this week and i read at the net that there are Malaria warnings.

I would like to know the following:

1) is it bad the situation there?
2) Simple AUTAN for mosquitos will resolve the issue?
3) Is there a pill or vaccine which we can do in order to avoid issues?
4) Can we get it from there?

thx in advance

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
What part of the island are you going to?
Malaria is a recurring disease, so there is always some warning in one place or another in tropical countries like DR. I don't think it is anything to worry about, unless you're visiting areas where there is an outbreak, which are always localized.

kouliscon

Nov 6, 2012
Hello and thx for the reply.

We are staying 5 days at Bahia Chiquita de Samana and then 7 days at Punta Cana.

Is there any medicine which we can get at Dominicana to prevent anything?

thx

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is a risk of dengue, but not malaria. As there's no vaccine or prophylactic, the advice is to use a good repellent and wear long trousers - especially at dusk.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
I don't know of Malaria in the Island; however im aware of dengue which exhibits almost similar signs & symptoms.

I've had malaria multiple times since my childhood and i can certainly tell when the signs start creeping in.

Keep off swampy pools and stagnant waters and watch out for any flying little creatures - mosquitoes :)

May 29, 2006
Very low risk of Malaria in the DR. I've given blood multible times coming back from the DR and the only areas considered to be at risk are agricultural areas where Haitian farm workers might be carriers. Dengue and some other buggies are more of a concern. The chance of getting Malaria is something less than 1 in 1000 over a year's stay and less if you are staying in the tourist areas.