Accountants in the DR

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Can anyone recommend an english speaking accountant in the DR as I opened a trading account in the U.S. and they withold 30% tax on dividend income and I was wondering how to get it refunded as I am not a U.S. citiczen or resident

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Unfortunately most independent accountant or local accountant companies invent the rules when they are not sure, I would consult with a serious company like PwC, Deloitte, etc.,

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Unfortunately most independent accountant or local accountant companies invent the rules when they are not sure, I would consult with a serious company like PwC, Deloitte, etc.,

Do they have an office in the DR

Do they have an office in the DR

Oficinas de Deloitte en Rep?blica Dominicana

Directorio de oficinas mundial

Rep?blica Dominicana
Santo Domingo
Ver mapa
Pedro Henr?quez Ure?a No. 150
Edificio Diandy XIX, 2do piso
Santo Domingo
Rep?blica Dominicana

Tel?fono: 001 (809) 563 5151
Fax::001 (809) 563 8585
E-mail:informacioncr@deloitte.com

However, I would contact your trader company first. All fees, taxes and any amount should had been disclosed at the time you open the account with them. The first thing an accountant will ask you is for the disclosed agreement between you and the trading firm. Good luck.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Oficinas de Deloitte en Rep?blica Dominicana

Directorio de oficinas mundial

Rep?blica Dominicana
Santo Domingo
Ver mapa
Pedro Henr?quez Ure?a No. 150
Edificio Diandy XIX, 2do piso
Santo Domingo
Rep?blica Dominicana

Tel?fono: 001 (809) 563 5151
Fax::001 (809) 563 8585
E-mail:informacioncr@deloitte.com

However, I would contact your trader company first. All fees, taxes and any amount should had been disclosed at the time you open the account with them. The first thing an accountant will ask you is for the disclosed agreement between you and the trading firm. Good luck.

Thanks and all fees have been disclosed

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
You can probably file it Via Turbo tax for under $100.

Thanks but,

I called the brokers again and they said because I am a Canadian citizen they withold 30% so I need to check with my Canadian accountant and see if I can get the 30% back as I am not a Canadian resident or I just stay with my current plan for dividends

Mike, I found a post on another forum on the subject. It looks like you need to file form T-2209 from Canada's Revenue Agency to claim back the taxes. According to the posted information, a 15% tax is taken from Canadian Citizens investing in the US, therefore I would ask your Canadian accountant about this.

Forms and publications

Original post from another forum:
"Call the gov't at Forms Line 1-800-959-2221, and ask for a form T-2209.
This is the "Federal foreign tax credit" form.
( or you can print one from the govt site , CRA.GC.CA/forms

Then follow the directions on the form, to use your US taxes, ( or any other country as well), withheld, as a tax credit against your Canadian taxes payable.

It is a bit complicated at first, but not difficult to do.
I do it every year.

Remember too to get the same Provincial form, Form T-2036, because if the Federal foreign taxes credit does not use up ALL the foreign taxes paid, you can apply any left over against your provincial taxes.

Hope this hepls.....good luck"

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Mike, I found a post on another forum on the subject. It looks like you need to file form T-2209 from Canada's Revenue Agency to claim back the taxes. According to the posted information, a 15% tax is taken from Canadian Citizens investing in the US, therefore I would ask your Canadian accountant about this.

Forms and publications

Original post from another forum:
"Call the gov't at Forms Line 1-800-959-2221, and ask for a form T-2209.
This is the "Federal foreign tax credit" form.
( or you can print one from the govt site , CRA.GC.CA/forms

Then follow the directions on the form, to use your US taxes, ( or any other country as well), withheld, as a tax credit against your Canadian taxes payable.

It is a bit complicated at first, but not difficult to do.
I do it every year.

Remember too to get the same Provincial form, Form T-2036, because if the Federal foreign taxes credit does not use up ALL the foreign taxes paid, you can apply any left over against your provincial taxes.

Hope this hepls.....good luck"

Thanks and I appreciate the concise iterpretation and will take this under advisement.

Mahalo

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Can anyone recommend an english speaking accountant in the DR as I opened a trading account in the U.S. and they withold 30% tax on dividend income and I was wondering how to get it refunded as I am not a U.S. citiczen or resident

for non-us-citizen; it is easy just ask your broker to send you a W8 form fill it out and sign it. that's all...then they won't withold 30% tax