Claro's Internet Fijo Velocidad

Feb 20, 2011
I am finally planning to switch from wifi to fixed internet; Claro has several plans, the basic one comes with 1 mbps down and 256 kbps up.
I am using skype and email-fax and am more concerned about the upload speed.
Has anyone been on that plan and has any positive / negative comments?
I know I could go with a higher speed plan but don't want to dish out more pesos than necessary for internet.
Thanks!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Get the next one up. I believe it is 1.5 down and 768 up. You will get close to 3 down and 1.25 up with this plan. Better for Voip calls.

Feb 20, 2011
Get the next one up. I believe it is 1.5 down and 768 up. You will get close to 3 down and 1.25 up with this plan. Better for Voip calls.

Thanks Sky;

Guess you are right, Claro lets you double the speed for 250 pesos a month which is not too bad.
That'll give me 2.0 down and 512 up and should be sufficient.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~We are coming in for three weeks, does anyone know if Claro has a prepaid USB that I can access the internet with...need a secure sign in ....not a WIFI hot spot....any thoughts that can assist me....

Thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yes they have a USB stick that works off of their cell signal. Orange has one also. Check for signal strenth of both companies before you choose one.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Yes they have a USB stick that works off of their cell signal. Orange has one also. Check for signal strenth of both companies before you choose one.

~Sky....what strength should I be looking for? I need something that will work good and be somewhat reliable....also can I purchase one at the Claro by the Super Pola??

Feb 20, 2011
~Sky....what strength should I be looking for? I need something that will work good and be somewhat reliable....also can I purchase one at the Claro by the Super Pola??

Don't know about the Claro dongle but I have an Orange dongle that works fine; had the same problem, condo complex wifi (mostly) works but is too weak to upload docs for e-mail.
For that I connect the Orange dongle and it works fine for now also I will go fixed internet in the future ; they say Orange USB is faster than Claro USB, I am not sure since I never tried the Claro one.
Wireless speed depends on many factors anyway so what they tell you and what you experience may be two different things.
Orange is also in Plaza Palma Real, don't know how much the dongle is now but they sell prepaid usage;
1 day = 1GB = RD 100
7 day = 3GB = RD 320

Dec 24, 2012
USB Stick internet - Claro or Orange?

Don't know about the Claro dongle but I have an Orange dongle that works fine; had the same problem, condo complex wifi (mostly) works but is too weak to upload docs for e-mail.
For that I connect the Orange dongle and it works fine for now also I will go fixed internet in the future ; they say Orange USB is faster than Claro USB, I am not sure since I never tried the Claro one.
Wireless speed depends on many factors anyway so what they tell you and what you experience may be two different things.
Orange is also in Plaza Palma Real, don't know how much the dongle is now but they sell prepaid usage;
1 day = 1GB = RD 100
7 day = 3GB = RD 320

Would you happen to know which internet is faster and reliable in San Cristobal? Claro or Orange?

Thanks in advance!