Do You Need Flu Shots in the Dr?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
This is that time of year when you should get flu shots but I am wondering what the concensus is.

Google does not answer this at all !

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
On one of my trips to DR, due to air conditioning I get a cold:cry: it lasted only 2 days, but think the colds in DR are very easy to cure due to the heat (and with Brugal and mamajuana ;)).but I think if a person belonging to a risk group should get the flu shots.
JT

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
No, in DR you need a balanced food, some exercise, and if ever you get the flu, honey & lime will do :)

Aug 21, 2007
Last year, for the first time, I got a flu shot. And last year, for the first time since being in the DR, I didn't get the flu. Could be a coincidence. But, just in case it wasn't, I got another shot this year.

Lindsey

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
On one of my trips to DR, due to air conditioning I get a cold:cry: it lasted only 2 days, but think the colds in DR are very easy to cure due to the heat (and with Brugal and mamajuana ;)).but I think if a person belonging to a risk group should get the flu shots.
JT

A flu shot won't help you against a cold.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It is wise to get a flu shot. The flu knows no boundaries.

Regards,

PJT

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Last year, for the first time, I got a flu shot. And last year, for the first time since being in the DR, I didn't get the flu. Could be a coincidence. But, just in case it wasn't, I got another shot this year.

Lindsey

I was just the opposite last year........ forgot my flu shot and got gripe for the first time......... deadly for many days.

I have my flu shot already..... prepared this year..... that gripe really slows you down

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This is that time of year when you should get flu shots but I am wondering what the concensus is.

Google does not answer this at all !

Why do you even ask? Do you think flu is specific to the US or some other country? We call it grippe here, but flu is flu by any name. You chances of getting the flu here are as good as anywhere else.

The only thing is, in the DR it is harder to find a place to get the flu shot. That is why I always get mine when visiting the US in September.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
And you will know when you get it.I've had the flu a few times and general body aches,and
weakness are some of the symptoms,it knocks you down!

I make sure now, when I'm in the states around the fall season, to get the flu shot.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Of course you can get the flu! Flu from around the world! This is a tourist destination in the winter.
But there's more than flu — all of it is the "turista". Passage from PASAGES SOUTH:

"In the DR they have an expression for gastrointestinal disorder: la turista. They call
it that not because tourists get it, but because tourists bring it. Every winter season they step off their planes shedding billions of microbes and viruses from the common colds and epidemic flus of the northern cities. The little beasties ramp down onto the tarmac and gambol in the tropic heat. Then the whole island acts as a petri dish for the world’s flu cultures.

Dominicans, a touchy folk fond of embraces, kissing and handshakes, provide
the germs a perfect medium with which to spread. Thus the winter plague: la turista. How can you avoid la turista between the tropics? Easy. Do what your mother told you to do, and your Psychology 101 professor made you feel guilty about. Wash your hands and scrub under you nails at every opportunity. Don’t poke fingers into any body orifice, including eyes, after shaking hands or handling money until you’ve washed.

And always eat any meat well done. Whatever you do, don’t avoid kissing and hugging."

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No question things are dirty......... I am a very quick healer normally.

In RD, a little scrape/cut lasts much longer.

The wipes help

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
most certainly you need flu shots here ,,and if you are a senior I would advise a pneumonia shot also ....Flu in this country can be very savage and very easy to catch

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Why do you even ask? Do you think flu is specific to the US or some other country? We call it grippe here, but flu is flu by any name. You chances of getting the flu here are as good as anywhere else.

The only thing is, in the DR it is harder to find a place to get the flu shot. That is why I always get mine when visiting the US in September.

I tried to get a shot here last year but the vaccine was not available so I was wondering if it was necessary.

I went to the Doctor today and Mary Joe is calling Puerto Plata to see if we can get the medicine here in Sosusa.

Apparently your chances of a heart attack are reduced by 50% when getting vaccinated

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Get mine every year at the Boston VA hospital. Got mine this month.
"GET IT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Mamajuana" is great, but not for any Medical reason.
I'll be bringing in a new strain of "Microbes" on Saturday.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
most certainly you need flu shots here ,,and if you are a senior I would advise a pneumonia shot also ....Flu in this country can be very savage and very easy to catch

Never heard of a Pneumonia shot, can you get that in the DR as Flu shots seem difficult to find

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Never heard of a Pneumonia shot, can you get that in the DR as Flu shots seem difficult to find

When I was cruising in the Caribbean on our sailboat, a doctor friend in the sent me the vaccine for the pneumonia shot and I had it injected at a clinic in St. Lucia.

There was one version that did not require immediate refrigeration and that is what she sent. If you have a doctor in your home country, check with him to see what he says.

Also try Santiago and Santo Domingo. Maybe Hillbilly knows a place in Santiago. I got mine one year from the office of Dr. Contrears, a cardiologist in Santo Domingo. He is also in charge of the immunization program for American Embassy and gets all the vaccines.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010

Here in the states you can't swing a cat by its tail without hitting someone giving flu shots. Heck.. even at the grocery store!!! BUT.. I don't think I'd be stopping in at the Super Pola for one. The Orange Juice, yes... but I'd go to the doc. for the shot.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
I tried to get a shot here last year but the vaccine was not available so I was wondering if it was necessary.

I went to the Doctor today and Mary Joe is calling Puerto Plata to see if we can get the medicine here in Sosusa.

Apparently your chances of a heart attack are reduced by 50% when getting vaccinated

maybe some truth to that. i never had a flue shot but i had a heart attack at 51