Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do You Need Flu Shots in the Dr?

This is that time of year when you should get flu shots but I am wondering what the concensus is.

Google does not answer this at all !

2. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

On one of my trips to DR, due to air conditioning I get a cold it lasted only 2 days, but think the colds in DR are very easy to cure due to the heat (and with Brugal and mamajuana ).but I think if a person belonging to a risk group should get the flu shots.
    JT

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

No, in DR you need a balanced food, some exercise, and if ever you get the flu, honey & lime will do

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year, for the first time, I got a flu shot. And last year, for the first time since being in the DR, I didn't get the flu. Could be a coincidence. But, just in case it wasn't, I got another shot this year.

Lindsey

6. Likes CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonytuga View Post
    On one of my trips to DR, due to air conditioning I get a cold it lasted only 2 days, but think the colds in DR are very easy to cure due to the heat (and with Brugal and mamajuana ).but I think if a person belonging to a risk group should get the flu shots.
    JT
    A flu shot won't help you against a cold.

8. Likes CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It is wise to get a flu shot. The flu knows no boundaries.

Regards,

PJT

10. Likes CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyKaufman View Post
    Last year, for the first time, I got a flu shot. And last year, for the first time since being in the DR, I didn't get the flu. Could be a coincidence. But, just in case it wasn't, I got another shot this year.

Lindsey
    I was just the opposite last year........ forgot my flu shot and got gripe for the first time......... deadly for many days.

I have my flu shot already..... prepared this year..... that gripe really slows you down

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike l View Post
    This is that time of year when you should get flu shots but I am wondering what the concensus is.

Google does not answer this at all !
    Why do you even ask? Do you think flu is specific to the US or some other country? We call it grippe here, but flu is flu by any name. You chances of getting the flu here are as good as anywhere else.

The only thing is, in the DR it is harder to find a place to get the flu shot. That is why I always get mine when visiting the US in September.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

And you will know when you get it.I've had the flu a few times and general body aches,and
    weakness are some of the symptoms,it knocks you down!

I make sure now, when I'm in the states around the fall season, to get the flu shot.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course you can get the flu! Flu from around the world! This is a tourist destination in the winter.
    But there's more than flu — all of it is the "turista". Passage from PASAGES SOUTH:

"In the DR they have an expression for gastrointestinal disorder: la turista. They call
    it that not because tourists get it, but because tourists bring it. Every winter season they step off their planes shedding billions of microbes and viruses from the common colds and epidemic flus of the northern cities. The little beasties ramp down onto the tarmac and gambol in the tropic heat. Then the whole island acts as a petri dish for the world’s flu cultures.

Dominicans, a touchy folk fond of embraces, kissing and handshakes, provide
    the germs a perfect medium with which to spread. Thus the winter plague: la turista. How can you avoid la turista between the tropics? Easy. Do what your mother told you to do, and your Psychology 101 professor made you feel guilty about. Wash your hands and scrub under you nails at every opportunity. Don’t poke fingers into any body orifice, including eyes, after shaking hands or handling money until you’ve washed.

And always eat any meat well done. Whatever you do, don’t avoid kissing and hugging."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast