Roku

Feb 7, 2007
Not much of a forma support for USB playing. I stay with my WD TV Live Plus. Can play virtually anything I download from the Net. And on the Net it's sooner than on netflix or Hulu.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo wants to buy that but i have no idea what it does. all i want is music channels and discovery/natgeo kind of things. alas, he cannot explain what it is or what it does in a way i could understand :)

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
miesposo wants to buy that but i have no idea what it does. all i want is music channels and discovery/natgeo kind of things. alas, he cannot explain what it is or what it does in a way i could understand :)

I looked up Roku and see that it does not support YouTube, due to not being authorized by YouTube.
Without YouTube I personally would not buy it.

Older models had YouTube, but Roku was forced to remove it from what I just read about it.

Walmart for Black Friday had an LG 3D Blue Ray player that does just about everything for $68 and it is extremely small.

Some stores may still have some left.

The following might still be available also. ($29)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-DSB872WR-WiFi-Streaming-Box/21998220?wmlspartner=VJQZNxQ9nek&sourceid=02638915302370810808&veh=aff

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2007

dv8, go to the link that WW posted. Click on channels. You can see the hundreds of channels available. The Roku, to the best of my understanding, streams music, tv, and movies over the internet. There are channels for every interest group imaginable. You can even log onto FaceBook or shop from Amazon on the Roku!

(You should have looked at mine when you visited my place!)

Lindsey

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
but what?????
i looked at the channels, searched for MTV - nada. searched for vh1 - nada. searched fro discovery - they have discovery bible tv. what kind of a silly tool that is, then?
there is nothing there i would recognize.

what does it do? stream internet to my tv? i can plug our tv to my laptop and i have the same.
i see not a single channel even suggesting music content or anything even remotely animal planet like.

no to roku from me unless someone can explain to me what NORMAL channels they have.

:(

Aug 21, 2007
but what?????

i see not a single channel even suggesting music content or anything even remotely animal planet like.

:(

There are several music channels. On Pandora, which is free, you input your favorite song, artist, or genre, and Pandora makes a music station for you with just that type of music. You can have as many music stations as you wish and they are all custom made just for you. There are other music stations that do the same.

Roku has Netflix where the National Geographic type channels are all offered.

As far as "normal" channels....... it all depends on what you call normal.

Lindsey

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
I get it and may buy one, thanks for bringing this forward. My main concern is the international access to the channels as many of them listed I am not able to get content to or is limited. I haven't had much success with the US VPN services. So, for those using it, is it with a US VPN or are you able to access content using a local VPN?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
see, i don't like pandora. i don't want to listen to all the same music. i want to be surprised, like with mtv playing gangam style all of a sudden, without inquiring about my interest in k-pop :) and i want to see new releases.

normal channels are just traditional tv things like bbc.