Toll cost driving from Sosua to Santo Domingo Airport via Santiago

mariopoli

Nov 20, 2012
I have to catch a flight home from the Santo Domingo airport. I will be driving from Sosua to via Santiago. I know there is a 40 peso toll just before entering the airport. Are there any other tolls? I want to make sure i have enough pesos.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If I were you, I'd take Juan Pablo II highway (Samana Highway). It's more expensive (almost 400 pesos), but it's safer, you don't have to go through Puerto Plata or Santiago, and you arrive almost right at the airport, meaning you don't have to go through Santo Domingo, either. Plus, you get to drive a little along the north coast, which is a eye candy. But that's just me.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Castle is right - much easier drive ..... 400 pesos + the 30 peso toll at Las Americas

Sosua to Cabrera = 1hr
Cabrera to highway = 50 min
Highway to airport = 70 min

Tolls 430 pesos........... all pretty roads

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think 400 you spend on the toll will be cheaper than the cost of petrol when passing santiago and SD.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
From Sosua to SDQ the best way for sure is what the posters are saying. The new highway at Nagua. You will miss all the traffic in Santo Domingo and have a pleasant ride all the way.

I have to add this though. The speed limit on the new hwy is only 80km, and they have a lot of radar traps on that road. So take it easy and enjoy the view, or you will pay.

Feb 7, 2007
@SKY: what do you mean "radar traps". Do they actually pull you over and give you a fine? Who? AMET? PN? Private security? What happens if you have no money on you or do not/refuse to pay?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They stand at the roadside - always in the shade and are easy to spot if you look ahead.
One fine for any speed - so let it fly

I have never been ticketed, just stopped..... you could 'pay on the spot' , I guess.

Amet, if I recall

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
@SKY: what do you mean "radar traps". Do they actually pull you over and give you a fine? Who? AMET? PN? Private security? What happens if you have no money on you or do not/refuse to pay?

AMET stays on the end of a long straightaway and signals you to pull over. They do have cars, but they get you to pull over. If you don't there are other officers down the road. So basically you are toast if you speed. You get a ticket and pay later, or bribe the guy there. Up to you which way to go.

I got pulled over twice and was let go, as I was on the way to the Air Force Base in San Isidro and have credentials from the FAD.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Often under the sign at the SDQ end of the road and in the middle of the trip.

I have been nabbed at the Nagua end between the toll booth and #5

In all cases, they shoot both directions

Honestly, I haven't seen them much lately
More in tourist season

mariopoli

Nov 20, 2012
If I were you, I'd take Juan Pablo II highway (Samana Highway). It's more expensive (almost 400 pesos), but it's safer, you don't have to go through Puerto Plata or Santiago, and you arrive almost right at the airport, meaning you don't have to go through Santo Domingo, either. Plus, you get to drive a little along the north coast, which is a eye candy. But that's just me.
I took the Samana highway last week it took me 4.5 hrs of course I drove the entire way in complete darkness so I took it slow.I want to try a new route this time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have to catch a flight home from the Santo Domingo airport. I will be driving from Sosua to via Santiago. I know there is a 40 peso toll just before entering the airport. Are there any other tolls? I want to make sure i have enough pesos.

After reading your last post and re-reading your original post

No there no other tolls.... you'll need 30pesos and gas money.

Drive carefully

Feb 7, 2007
SKY, how fast can you actually go before you are actually pulled over? e.g. 90, 100 kim/h ... ?
I guess at 90 kmh you won't be pulled over and if so you can very easily argue the radar margin of error, which on almost most radars is +/- 8 kmph (the certification papers must show margin of error and without certification papers the radar is not "road worthy", but hey this is the DR...)

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
SKY, how fast can you actually go before you are actually pulled over? e.g. 90, 100 kim/h ... ?
I guess at 90 kmh you won't be pulled over and if so you can very easily argue the radar margin of error, which on almost most radars is +/- 8 kmph (the certification papers must show margin of error and without certification papers the radar is not "road worthy", but hey this is the DR...)

I have been pulled over speeding on the new highway, I tried to use no speak spanish routine, but the guy wasn't buying it. He explained that the speed was 80kph, but they don't pull you over under 100kph. I was doing 105, and got busted. He was showing me how the hand held LIDAR (laser) worked and explaining how he picks the people he pulls over. Under 100 you should be ok,
About the certification papers, lol, this is the DR....he'll show them ma?ana....lol

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I brought over a good radar detector from the States. I now keep it in the car when driving this road.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know i will be safe then if i ever decide to try that road. my car cannot even reach 100km/hr :) :laugh:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I brought over a good radar detector from the States. I now keep it in the car when driving this road.

They use the hand held radar.... your detector will only warn you when he pulls the trigger on you..... by that time he has clocked you.
The US/Can has the 'always on' radar.... that works better for detectors.

On speed, they pulled me over at 95km/hr but let me go..... sometimes they just want to talk (and tip).... I didn't tip., but I had all my RD papers.
Tourists on the other hand, might have been encouraged to 'tip'