Caribe Tours vs Metro -- Does it matter?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I need to go from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo mid-week and return the following day (residency renewal). Any advice on whether Caribe Tours or Metro has the better buses, services, etc? Other advice for getting local transportation once I arrive in Santo Domingo is also welcome. I hope to arrive before 6 pm (still daylight) and just need a heads up on how to hire a taxi to my hotel near the Guzman offices. How much should it cost, for example, and if I need to worry about safety any more than usual. Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My first question is why Guzman offices? Renewal is a seamless process that only takes a couple of hours if you go VIP. You get there early in the morning, go to the Caja, tell them what you want and they get the forms and you fill them out.

Okay.

Anyway...Metro is the "better" bus, it is colder, has less stops and ends up closer to the offices of Migracion. But where are you staying? That is a consideration. There are taxis there but you need to argue the rate. Generally speaking 150 to most places in Santo Domingo. If not, call Apollo taxis 809 537 0000. They give you the rate, the number of the taxi and the color of the car. Before you get in you ask the driver his number....

Good luck...

HB

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
...Renewal is a seamless process that only takes a couple of hours if you go VIP. You get there early in the morning, go to the Caja, tell them what you want and they get the forms and you fill them out.
HB
Did they waive all the new extra requirements already? That would be good news!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Did they waive all the new extra requirements already? That would be good news!

If you mean the need to have a medical again then no, that is in place unless picking out randoms, which I doubt. Still, that is no big deal, just a bit of a longer wait.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Back to the original question. Metro is better a bus, less stops, faster service. Cab fare should be $150-200Rd and no more.

Bob K

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and socks. and i sure hope you like christian music because that's what you get in metro buses ;)

btw, i always take metro. used caribe once and the dude was going so crazy fast he smacked into a truck in front of us. admittedly, he pressed hard on the breaks, tossing the passengers like potatoes in the sack which is why we ended up with merely a scratch. but i ain't a fan. when i drive and them buggers from caribe are behind me i let them pass. they drive faster than me and stick so close to my a** they'd wiped me off the face of the earth if the as much as bumped me... :(

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
May I ask if you are renewing a Permanent Residency or a Temporary Residency? The latter is a much easier process.

Metro is by far the best service. A taxi from the bus station to Guzman's office (Tuesday last) costs 170 pesos.

I need to go from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo mid-week and return the following day (residency renewal). Any advice on whether Caribe Tours or Metro has the better buses, services, etc? Other advice for getting local transportation once I arrive in Santo Domingo is also welcome. I hope to arrive before 6 pm (still daylight) and just need a heads up on how to hire a taxi to my hotel near the Guzman offices. How much should it cost, for example, and if I need to worry about safety any more than usual. Thanks!

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. This is my first renewal of my temporary residency and it seems to be fairly simple. The new rules require me to renewal the provisional (temporary) several times so maybe I can do it by myself next year. I don't really leave the country so my purpose for the residency process is to be "legal" with a cedula and a driver's license, etc. Plus, I'll probably go for citizenship eventually...assuming my good attitude about the country and my lifestyle here continues. Thanks again! Judy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Metro buses may be a little better, but for a 4 hour trip, both will get you to Santo Domingo comfortably. And Caribe Tours has a better schedule with buses every hour. Metro does not.

I suggest checking the schedules and see which works best for you, in other words, returns when you want to return without a long wait for the next bus.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Judy, look at a map.... the Guzman office is hard to find. Many a taxi cannot find it.... I've tried.

I once stopped at the ambulance station for directions.... the numbers are not sequential on Guzman's street.

Google before you go.... they always want you there at 8:15-8:30

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have lived in SD for 17 years, and I usually get lost on my way to Guzman's SD law office.
Have a cell with you and call the office for directions if you need them.
CCCCCCCCC

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Metro has seat belts. For me this is big. With belts you stand a chance to survive the wreck. Caribe drivers are more aggressive. Do 85 plus (my estimate) coming down the mountain into PP. No thanks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have lived in SD for 17 years, and I usually get lost on my way to Guzman's SD law office.
Have a cell with you and call the office for directions if you need them.
CCCCCCCCC

In all my trips there, ONCE - count'em once - have I arrived there without incident.

It was pure luck, just by chance I landed on the western corner of the block that one time.

Use the map Judy...... I'm printing it for myself

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Hi everyone, I thought I would give you a report of my trip.

I took Metro, as advised, and was very pleased with the quality of the bus itself and the driver. I got to the station way too early (over an hour), but better early than late. I didn't have to share a seat either way so that was a plus. I finally figured out how to get the bathroom door open -- jerk it! -- but I nearly didn't get back out! Coming back, I rode in the very front left seat behind the driver so I got a first-hand look at the obstacles he encountered on the road. He did a great job anticipating problems and was good at knowing when to pass (at night). Not everyone would want to see what I saw, however. It could be scarey at times. Also, it was fun watching the driver's seat bounce up and down (a lot).

I stayed at the BQ Hotel on Sarasota in an adequate and clean room for $88 US. I ate at Outback. The taxi was no problem to the hotel from Outback -- 250 pesos -- and the taxi driver the next morning to the Guzman office was the same. I gave him the map.

The actual residency renewal and then cedula renewal was long and tiring, especially since the paralegal and I had to backtrack from the cedula office to migration because my residency card had the wrong cedula number on it. (My sister and I did our residencies at the same time and they got switched.)

Now, I'm legal again for another year and look forward to another trip to Santo Domingo next year to do it all again!

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Jucy

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hi everyone, I thought I would give you a report of my trip.

I took Metro, as advised, and was very pleased with the quality of the bus itself and the driver. I got to the station way too early (over an hour), but better early than late. I didn't have to share a seat either way so that was a plus. I finally figured out how to get the bathroom door open -- jerk it! -- but I nearly didn't get back out! Coming back, I rode in the very front left seat behind the driver so I got a first-hand look at the obstacles he encountered on the road. He did a great job anticipating problems and was good at knowing when to pass (at night). Not everyone would want to see what I saw, however. It could be scarey at times. Also, it was fun watching the driver's seat bounce up and down (a lot).

I stayed at the BQ Hotel on Sarasota in an adequate and clean room for $88 US. I ate at Outback. The taxi was no problem to the hotel from Outback -- 250 pesos -- and the taxi driver the next morning to the Guzman office was the same. I gave him the map.

The actual residency renewal and then cedula renewal was long and tiring, especially since the paralegal and I had to backtrack from the cedula office to migration because my residency card had the wrong cedula number on it. (My sister and I did our residencies at the same time and they got switched.)

Now, I'm legal again for another year and look forward to another trip to Santo Domingo next year to do it all again!

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Jucy

Was it freezing in the guagua?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Yes, on the way there (11 am bus), it was very chilly. I had a thick jacket and jeans. But one lady had a blanket! Smart. Not so cold on the way back (4 pm bus)...actually a little warm later in the evening.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Only thing different I would do, is sit in the middle of the bus.
You have some protection from head on crashes, and rear enders too.
One advantage of sitting right behind the driver is: when he nods off, you can poke him back into conciousness!
Side crashes?????????, ..........................can't have it all!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC