Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Caribe Tours vs Metro -- Does it matter?

I need to go from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo mid-week and return the following day (residency renewal). Any advice on whether Caribe Tours or Metro has the better buses, services, etc? Other advice for getting local transportation once I arrive in Santo Domingo is also welcome. I hope to arrive before 6 pm (still daylight) and just need a heads up on how to hire a taxi to my hotel near the Guzman offices. How much should it cost, for example, and if I need to worry about safety any more than usual. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

My first question is why Guzman offices? Renewal is a seamless process that only takes a couple of hours if you go VIP. You get there early in the morning, go to the Caja, tell them what you want and they get the forms and you fill them out.

Okay.

Anyway...Metro is the "better" bus, it is colder, has less stops and ends up closer to the offices of Migracion. But where are you staying? That is a consideration. There are taxis there but you need to argue the rate. Generally speaking 150 to most places in Santo Domingo. If not, call Apollo taxis 809 537 0000. They give you the rate, the number of the taxi and the color of the car. Before you get in you ask the driver his number....

Good luck...

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    ...Renewal is a seamless process that only takes a couple of hours if you go VIP. You get there early in the morning, go to the Caja, tell them what you want and they get the forms and you fill them out.
    HB
    Did they waive all the new extra requirements already? That would be good news!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    Did they waive all the new extra requirements already? That would be good news!
    If you mean the need to have a medical again then no, that is in place unless picking out randoms, which I doubt. Still, that is no big deal, just a bit of a longer wait.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Back to the original question. Metro is better a bus, less stops, faster service. Cab fare should be $150-200Rd and no more.

Bob K

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

bring a coat you will need it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

and socks. and i sure hope you like christian music because that's what you get in metro buses

btw, i always take metro. used caribe once and the dude was going so crazy fast he smacked into a truck in front of us. admittedly, he pressed hard on the breaks, tossing the passengers like potatoes in the sack which is why we ended up with merely a scratch. but i ain't a fan. when i drive and them buggers from caribe are behind me i let them pass. they drive faster than me and stick so close to my a** they'd wiped me off the face of the earth if the as much as bumped me...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

May I ask if you are renewing a Permanent Residency or a Temporary Residency? The latter is a much easier process.

Metro is by far the best service. A taxi from the bus station to Guzman's office (Tuesday last) costs 170 pesos.

Quote Originally Posted by judypdr View Post
    I need to go from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo mid-week and return the following day (residency renewal). Any advice on whether Caribe Tours or Metro has the better buses, services, etc? Other advice for getting local transportation once I arrive in Santo Domingo is also welcome. I hope to arrive before 6 pm (still daylight) and just need a heads up on how to hire a taxi to my hotel near the Guzman offices. How much should it cost, for example, and if I need to worry about safety any more than usual. Thanks!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. This is my first renewal of my temporary residency and it seems to be fairly simple. The new rules require me to renewal the provisional (temporary) several times so maybe I can do it by myself next year. I don't really leave the country so my purpose for the residency process is to be "legal" with a cedula and a driver's license, etc. Plus, I'll probably go for citizenship eventually...assuming my good attitude about the country and my lifestyle here continues. Thanks again! Judy

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Metro buses may be a little better, but for a 4 hour trip, both will get you to Santo Domingo comfortably. And Caribe Tours has a better schedule with buses every hour. Metro does not.

I suggest checking the schedules and see which works best for you, in other words, returns when you want to return without a long wait for the next bus.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast