getting a (temporary) resident visa

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
How complicated/expensive/time consuming is it for a European Community citizen to get a (temporary) resident visa in the DR?
What would be the tax implications (if any) in the DR for said citizen's income generated outside of the DR?

Thank you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Temporary, means for what time period?

Really necessary? Resident or just a long visit?

Taxes? If just visiting, no answer needed

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
'Temporary Residency Visa', is a bit of a mix up. 'Temporary Residency' is also Provisional Residency (just a play on words), and that is something you would have until you qualify for Permanent Residency or citizenship. Costs run as long as a length of string, but it seems you get what you pay for as far as lawyers assistance goes, cheapest start at about 500US more expensive run at around 2000US, timescale now from medical to cedula seems to be between 4 and 6 months, all being well.
'Temporary Visa' is something you will get in your passport while you wait for you application to be processed, if you apply for residency then it is free, included in the costs of your application.
I think you want a 'Visitor Visa', and I think they run for 3 months at a time, tops and I have no idea of the costs, someone else will shout out I'm sure.
If you are not entering with a need to work or drive then I'd not bother, the exit taxes are still in place and are the cheaper option.
Taxes? .......................................

There are other visas but this seems to cover what you are asking.

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
what I'm essentially looking for is a proof of residence in the DR, which can be temporary; but a visitors visa wouldn't be sufficient.
are temporary or permanent residents in the DR taxed (theoretically at least) on worldwide income, or only on income generated in the DR?

'Temporary Residency Visa', is a bit of a mix up. 'Temporary Residency' is also Provisional Residency (just a play on words), and that is something you would have until you qualify for Permanent Residency or citizenship. Costs run as long as a length of string, but it seems you get what you pay for as far as lawyers assistance goes, cheapest start at about 500US more expensive run at around 2000US, timescale now from medical to cedula seems to be between 4 and 6 months, all being well.
'Temporary Visa' is something you will get in your passport while you wait for you application to be processed, if you apply for residency then it is free, included in the costs of your application.
I think you want a 'Visitor Visa', and I think they run for 3 months at a time, tops and I have no idea of the costs, someone else will shout out I'm sure.
If you are not entering with a need to work or drive then I'd not bother, the exit taxes are still in place and are the cheaper option.
Taxes? .......................................

There are other visas but this seems to cover what you are asking.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My impression is no taxes on income outside the country....

Many islands are like that - Bahamas, Turks/Caicos..............

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The law clearly states that residents of the DR , that includes people who are here more than 6 months in a year, are liable for income tax on income gained both in the DR and everywhere else in the world , The law is not being enforced and if it was I imagine there would be a very large exit of people who contribute to the Dominican economy but have their main investments overseas

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The DR has no tax treaties with any other country ..so there is no offsetting of tax paid in another country if they suddenly decided to apply the law

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The law clearly states that residents of the DR , that includes people who are here more than 6 months in a year, are liable for income tax on income gained both in the DR and everywhere else in the world , The law is not being enforced and if it was I imagine there would be a very large exit of people who contribute to the Dominican economy but have their main investments overseas

Not so if your income is a government pension.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Neither I nor the on line tax consulatants knew about the tax agreement with Canada but I am sure you can name no other country of any significance,,,the DR has no tax agreement even with Spain but is under negotiation and nor has it with any European country nor with the USA ..but that is only according to all sources on the internet search engines .
Pensions and social security payments are exempt from the general law that income generated overseas by normal investments is taxable here in the DR I had the impression from the initial question that the income was generated that way rather than being a simple pesnsion,,maybe I was mislead by his name .

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
yes I just spoke with Delloits and yes the DR has just one tax treaty ,,,that is with Canada ..if that is any help to surferboy

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, I can confirm a tax treaty w/ Canada.... no question
Therefore, leave Canada... file an exit return

SkateBoard, The US will tax you until you die - no state, but Federal forever..

Our Euro friend may be able to slide through..... at his own risk

THe 6 "P" principle applies , once again..... Biz School Stuff... lower level