high end computer repair santiago

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I have a very specific problem with a high end computer which I know is almost impossible to fix here.. for the tech savvy I have an externally powered video card which uses a 6 pin connector from a 750W power supply and I think the video card is dead. To test this, I would either need someone with another pci-e video card to test from my motherboard OR someone who has a motherboard/PS setup I could test my video card. I know this is going to be almost impossible to find here in the DR but before I spend the money importing all the parts I need for this it would be way easier if I could just narrow it down to either the vid card or the mobo, anyone have any suggestions?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I have a very specific problem with a high end computer which I know is almost impossible to fix here.. for the tech savvy I have an externally powered video card which uses a 6 pin connector from a 750W power supply and I think the video card is dead. To test this, I would either need someone with another pci-e video card to test from my motherboard OR someone who has a motherboard/PS setup I could test my video card. I know this is going to be almost impossible to find here in the DR but before I spend the money importing all the parts I need for this it would be way easier if I could just narrow it down to either the vid card or the mobo, anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, i have the same computer set up as you. i have a 750W power supply, a dual-6 pin ($400 graphic cards), etc, etc. It's at Marco's in Sosua (behind Bailey's) right now because of a graphic card failure--which i'm waiting for right now. Marco took out his graphic card from his computer and put into mine to make sure that was the problem, and apperently it is. i have a new graphic card on the way.

You should take your computer to Marco to see what the problem is.

frank

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
CeduComps (not sure of spelling) near the end of the mountain road before Hache coming from Sosua should be able to help you. Go to the store in the back of the street, not the one on the road. That is where they do repairs on computers.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
You'd be amazed how many kids have $400 cards in their computers. It's a must for hard core gamers, so it's not that uncommon and repair guys are used to them. But to test the MB, it shouldn't be difficult to find a cheap PCI-e video card.
I can almost assure you the problem is the video card. High end video cards produce a lot of heat, and no matter how many fans and heat sinks they use, they will get hotter than what the materials can tolerate. I can tell you that the lifespan of a frequently used card of this type is about 2 years. If you're anywhere near that mark, you're probably out of luck. A bummer, I know.

miesposo

Sep 2, 2012
Computer expert in Santiago

There is a guy in Santiago, his name is Randy. His phone number is 809-254-0000. This guy also works telephone centrals that have VoIP, plus other many thanks.

I am sure he might be able to help you. He speaks english and spanish. He is dominican.

Nov 25, 2008
try Tony in Santiago, give him a call 829-383-7491, even CESOMSA uses him when they have a problem.
hes a no nonsense Dominican Gringo, without the ma?ana vocabulary

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
If the computer boots up and you hear the beeps, two short beeps or one beep, then it's not the motherboard. If you hear very long beeps then it's either memory or something else. If you hear beeps and no video, then process of elimination would place it at the video card. Video cards can at times be a pain-in-the-rear because a new update for your O/S, if it's Microsoft, can at times change the video driver and thus screw everything up. You can also check for BIOS updates for your motherboard which may at times correct the problem. But, you are on the right track with you are doing so far.

Good Luck. If I was nearby, I would have taken a look at it for you, gratis.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
If the computer boots up and you hear the beeps, two short beeps or one beep, then it's not the motherboard. If you hear very long beeps then it's either memory or something else. If you hear beeps and no video, then process of elimination would place it at the video card. Video cards can at times be a pain-in-the-rear because a new update for your O/S, if it's Microsoft, can at times change the video driver and thus screw everything up. You can also check for BIOS updates for your motherboard which may at times correct the problem. But, you are on the right track with you are doing so far.

Good Luck. If I was nearby, I would have taken a look at it for you, gratis.

Wait.. so no beeps means the motherboard is fried.. uh oh..

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Nooo, wait. It could mean it doesn't have an internal speaker connected to it. Most modern computers don't have it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I can almost assure you the problem is the video card. High end video cards produce a lot of heat, and no matter how many fans and heat sinks they use, they will get hotter than what the materials can tolerate. I can tell you that the lifespan of a frequently used card of this type is about 2 years. If you're anywhere near that mark, you're probably out of luck. A bummer, I know.
Which is why hardcore gamers have liquid cooling...

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Yes, i have the same computer set up as you. i have a 750W power supply, a dual-6 pin ($400 graphic cards), etc, etc. It's at Marco's in Sosua (behind Bailey's) right now because of a graphic card failure--which i'm waiting for right now. Marco took out his graphic card from his computer and put into mine to make sure that was the problem, and apperently it is. i have a new graphic card on the way.

You should take your computer to Marco to see what the problem is.

frank

Sorry, I meant to say my computer is at Ramon's place, behind Bailey's restaurant in Sosua.

Frank