Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default so who knows bbq?

i want to build my own smoker here in santiago sorta like big D's did in sosua, anyone know how to explain something like this to the welders that do the job.. i know some people make them from beer kegs but what other options do i have? i wanna make some real Q down here lol

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

well, i happen to have one made of a beer barrel, with a little chimney and all that. made of stainless steel. you could start working from that basis: just go bigger maybe?
    ours works a treat, btw.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I've thought about doing this as well...there are a lot of "how to" videos on youtube...

4. Likes mbgmike, PeterInBrat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, there are many kinds of smokers,

One of the best all time designs is the double pipe or double box depends on materiales available, if your here in SD, I can help you find the pipe if thats your choice.

Anyway, either of these can be used to smoke or BBQ, versitile and popular back home in Texas.

Tell a little more of what you want, size and all!

And my biggest interest is what kind of wood you planning on smoking with?????

I know of no suitable hardwood locally available in the DR for smoking.

g'luck

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You can have my friend Freddy who is an herrero copy the design I have. He lives close to you. Let me know if interested.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donluis99 View Post
    Ok, there are many kinds of smokers,

One of the best all time designs is the double pipe or double box depends on materiales available, if your here in SD, I can help you find the pipe if thats your choice.

Anyway, either of these can be used to smoke or BBQ, versitile and popular back home in Texas.

Tell a little more of what you want, size and all!

And my biggest interest is what kind of wood you planning on smoking with?????

I know of no suitable hardwood locally available in the DR for smoking.

g'luck
    tons of mesquite available here with like 10 different names..

i'm actually in santiago and i'm a real rookie when it comes to bbq, my best friend is from houston and he showed me some of the basics but it is really like a science and i don't even know where to start.. especially here in the DR..

i don't plan on having tons of people over or anything so a bbq big enough for 5-10 people will be fine, maybe the size of 4 full rib racks.. i really want to try the whole chicken with a beer can up the rear end that big D in sosua does too, comes out delicious.. i'm going to google the designs you told me about and see what i can learn

thanks a lot man

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

you can also get tons of oak here (roble) if you prefer smoking with that

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Madesol on the road to Moca before you get to Ferr. Ochoa on the left.

Maderas y productos complementarios y especializados en República Dominicana - Madesol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sayanora View Post
    you can also get tons of oak here (roble) if you prefer smoking with that
    Except that would be a crime against nature and I think it is a penal offense to cut down an oak tree here. Use mesquite and if possible get some guayaba wood and leaves. What better wood than mesquite....????

To the OP...easiest here is the 55 gal drum, cut in half, with a chimney put on one half and a rack for the coals and another for the meat...works great and dirt cheap..

HB

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

While you are building your bbq you can enjoy beer roasted chicken.Just marinate
    the chicken with your secret spices,place chicken on a rack in a roasting pan.Stick
    beer can in the cavity and place chicken in a "sitting" position.roast in a 375 degree
    oven for about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs.Sooo good.

12. Likes cobraboy liked this post
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast