so who knows bbq?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
i want to build my own smoker here in santiago sorta like big D's did in sosua, anyone know how to explain something like this to the welders that do the job.. i know some people make them from beer kegs but what other options do i have? i wanna make some real Q down here lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, i happen to have one made of a beer barrel, with a little chimney and all that. made of stainless steel. you could start working from that basis: just go bigger maybe?
ours works a treat, btw.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Ok, there are many kinds of smokers,

One of the best all time designs is the double pipe or double box depends on materiales available, if your here in SD, I can help you find the pipe if thats your choice.

Anyway, either of these can be used to smoke or BBQ, versitile and popular back home in Texas.

Tell a little more of what you want, size and all!

And my biggest interest is what kind of wood you planning on smoking with?????

I know of no suitable hardwood locally available in the DR for smoking.

g'luck

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You can have my friend Freddy who is an herrero copy the design I have. He lives close to you. Let me know if interested.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Ok, there are many kinds of smokers,

One of the best all time designs is the double pipe or double box depends on materiales available, if your here in SD, I can help you find the pipe if thats your choice.

Anyway, either of these can be used to smoke or BBQ, versitile and popular back home in Texas.

Tell a little more of what you want, size and all!

And my biggest interest is what kind of wood you planning on smoking with?????

I know of no suitable hardwood locally available in the DR for smoking.

g'luck

tons of mesquite available here with like 10 different names..

i'm actually in santiago and i'm a real rookie when it comes to bbq, my best friend is from houston and he showed me some of the basics but it is really like a science and i don't even know where to start.. especially here in the DR..

i don't plan on having tons of people over or anything so a bbq big enough for 5-10 people will be fine, maybe the size of 4 full rib racks.. i really want to try the whole chicken with a beer can up the rear end that big D in sosua does too, comes out delicious.. i'm going to google the designs you told me about and see what i can learn

thanks a lot man

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
you can also get tons of oak here (roble) if you prefer smoking with that

Except that would be a crime against nature and I think it is a penal offense to cut down an oak tree here. Use mesquite and if possible get some guayaba wood and leaves. What better wood than mesquite....????

To the OP...easiest here is the 55 gal drum, cut in half, with a chimney put on one half and a rack for the coals and another for the meat...works great and dirt cheap..

HB

HB

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
While you are building your bbq you can enjoy beer roasted chicken.Just marinate
the chicken with your secret spices,place chicken on a rack in a roasting pan.Stick
beer can in the cavity and place chicken in a "sitting" position.roast in a 375 degree
oven for about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs.Sooo good.:)

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
mesquite smoked is awful to me

yea i'm not even 100% sure of the difference in flavors, getting wood chips is really easy though, i've seen hickory and cherry at ferreterias around town.. i hope mesquite is one of the flavors i like.. i know hickory is. i also want the smoker to be able to be used as a grill for burgers and such, i'm going to have to create something custom i bet.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
i think the best thing to do is go online and see if they have one with good photos. Everbody in texas makes the best pit. i was on a barb b que team called "KILLIN TIME COOKERS". We took 4'th place in brisquit about 10 years ago at the Houston Livestock and Rodeo barb b que cookoff. Not too bad after 24 years of trying. jajajaja. There is a right way and a wrong way to build a good smoker. Its all online.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
i like pecan or oak. Mesquite can get too much mesquite taste to it if over done. which many people tend to do. I still like it just not real powerful

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
our cocquero also collects wood for a local italian restaurant with wood burning oven. last time i saw him he had a wheelbarrow full of almendra wood. apparently it has a sweet smoke flavor, light ash.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
hell we probably could build you a big one in texas and float it over to RD jajajaaja thats how they used to do big frac towers.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Those 45 gal drums are BIG... for parties.... for a dinner for two.... way too much fuel.

Yappy will not approve

I have two parillas........... one large, another small..... more intimate

Cut the drum the other way for the small... and drill holes in the bottom....1/3 of it will do

Study up on 'down and dirty' grilling

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Just buy a Weber Kettle or Big Green Egg and be done with it.