Age of Consent

karlrichards

Nov 30, 2012
I couldn't find information about this topic in this forum, but I am new, so maybe I don't know how to search yet. I will be quick and to the point. I am 24 years old and frequently go back and forth to Santo Domingo for family members that live here. I met a girl about a year ago and we talked as friends for months. She knew a lot of people I am friends with because we work in the same industry. We never did anything, not even kiss. Anyways, now she is 17 and turning 18 at the end of February 2013. She wants to start dating. If we date, this will quickly turn into sexual relations. Is it legal to date her when I am 24 and she is 17 going on 18 in 3 months? Or is this risky, illegal behavior that will end up in me being thrown in jail?

karlrichards

Nov 30, 2012
I mean of course I could wait until February, but that's not what I am asking. If there's no reason to wait, why wait? I am considering my options, if I have more than one. If it's a big deal and I risk being thrown in jail-- I can always remain in contact as a friend and see what happens later down the road. Is this risky behavior if I go through with it right now? Do I risk getting thrown in jail? I have no idea. To me, it's not a big deal because I'm not 60 years old and she's not 15. I'm 24 and she's 3 months from 18, but I am not sure if the dominican legal system is really strict on a situation like ours. She is still a minor, but is this a big deal at this point?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Just go for it, chances are at 17 she has for a few years now, strap and wrap and just go ahead, or wait three months if you dont trust her not to file against you, in which case consider getting involved at all. Age of consent is 18 for both.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I mean of course I could wait until February, but that's not what I am asking. If there's no reason to wait, why wait? I am considering my options, if I have more than one. If it's a big deal and I risk being thrown in jail-- I can always remain in contact as a friend and see what happens later down the road. Is this risky behavior if I go through with it right now? Do I risk getting thrown in jail? I have no idea. To me, it's not a big deal because I'm not 60 years old and she's not 15. I'm 24 and she's 3 months from 18, but I am not sure if the dominican legal system is really strict on a situation like ours. She is still a minor, but is this a big deal at this point?

I think that you should wait the three months. My opinion's got nothing to do with legality. Every true romance needs a great story and you waiting until your Lady turned 18 will be one of those great stories. One that she'll be delighted to tell over and over again as you grow together and one that your children (one day) will cherish.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I couldn't find information about this topic in this forum, but I am new, so maybe I don't know how to search yet. I will be quick and to the point. I am 24 years old and frequently go back and forth to Santo Domingo for family members that live here. I met a girl about a year ago and we talked as friends for months. She knew a lot of people I am friends with because we work in the same industry. We never did anything, not even kiss. Anyways, now she is 17 and turning 18 at the end of February 2013. She wants to start dating. If we date, this will quickly turn into sexual relations. Is it legal to date her when I am 24 and she is 17 going on 18 in 3 months? Or is this risky, illegal behavior that will end up in me being thrown in jail?

You should wait a little bit, and if you decide to start dating now, just don't dump her before she turns 18!

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I was going to make some other comments, but, being an "old fart" choose to sympathize.
This quandry has and goes on all over the world for ages.
I'll offer these ideas and questions:
1) what industry do you speak of?
2) do you know any family members or close friends of this girl?
3) are you aware of how gringos are percieved in the Dominican Republic? i.e. the family and the girl perceive you as their gold mine for at least a short time?
4) 17 year old girls (especially, Dominicanas) are so fertile that a kiss makes a baby. It's the same as '60's high school stuff. Don't check into a hotel. That's illegal in the DR with a minor. If you trust the girl, the friends or family she shows up with by all means go. The love making will happen at or near the family home. Don't worry about that. Prepare yourself " before-"hand". Request to shower or bath alone so you will be capable enough to remember to put on a "raincoat". Ah, to be 24 again!!
As for jail time in the DR. I know of an Italian guy that lived in Boca Chica. Yeah, in his sixties, his first name I know, I'll only say it began with a V. 30 days in the local jail for having sex with a minor. Nothing I condone but Boca Chica and other areas of the DR have long been a playground for demented pervers.
The DR legal system is French based. Hence, in many ways more liberal. In many ways it makes for a more free flowing life than the Puritian based principles of the US. Like everywhere else some good---some bad.
The good thing about the DR is sex is free flowing. Sex can be to make a livelihood, make a family or just downright great.
Hope your future includes the later two!!!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Just a note, check her friends and family, if they have kids at her age or slightly older/younger then KNOW she will be trying/hoping to get pregnant.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
She has probably been having sex since the age of 15. Your call on waiting the 3 months.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
I would be less concerned with her filing against him, than her parents filing against him. I am sure she is as crazy for him as he is for her. The real question seems like, what does her dad do for work (i.e., does he have the juice to do something about this, if he is not in favor of it) and what do her parents think about this?

Just go for it, chances are at 17 she has for a few years now, strap and wrap and just go ahead, or wait three months if you dont trust her not to file against you, in which case consider getting involved at all. Age of consent is 18 for both.

Dec 26, 2011
The inviting, warm cave you seek to plumb the depths of will still be there in three months. It's been visited before. In fact, there are thousands of warm caves in RD. Spelunking is a popular activity there, pursued enthusiastically. Most pop there heads in, get what they came for- rights to say they were there- and pop back out. Others explore with more interest and patience. What kind of spelunker do you aim to be?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Stop being such assholes. Their are many, many girls in the DR that do not have sex before the age of 16-17. Just because you are a bunch of child-f-ckers doesn't mean that is the norm. I advise you to wait until she is eighteen unless you know the family really well and they have no issues with it.

Dec 26, 2011
Stop being such assholes. Their are many, many girls in the DR that do not have sex before the age of 16-17. Just because you are a bunch of child-f-ckers doesn't mean that is the norm. I advise you to wait until she is eighteen unless you know the family really well and they have no issues with it.

Bob, to say that a Dominican girl about to turn eighteen is very probably no longer a virgin does not make one a "child-f-cker". Nor does it speak to the girl's character. It's simply a hunch based on years, maybe decades of experience. We don't have to like it or approve of it.

I agree wholeheartedly with your advice in your last sentence.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012

Don't shoot the messenger, reporting what is widely known in the barrios does not make one an asshole.

Canada changed the age of consent from 16 to 18, what, within the last 10 years?

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
A 24 year old who has poontang on his mind and is willing to risk everything in a foreign country. Eventually he will get exactly what he deserves. Crabs, HIV, Gonorrhea, etc.. All of these are survivable, but the bullet he might get in his head is not. Asking on a general forum about age of consent to go screw some young chick in a foreign country which you know jack about? Yeah go for it buddy hopefully you come out smelling like roses and no extra holes.

karlrichards

Nov 30, 2012
I don't know if you have trouble understanding this thread or you didn't read my post at all. Your post is offensive and completely unwarranted. You don't know what is on my mind, nor anything about my sexual behaviors. And now you imply I am going to be murdered. You make it sound like all I want to do is have sexual relations with her. You do not know my intentions. I know more about this girl and the country than "jack." If you read my post, you would know that I have known her for a year already and I'm in the DR 5 months out of the year for the last 6 years just never had this experience. Yes, do the math that's 2 and half years of my life in the DR. We are both young, so don't make it seem like I am a predator or have no options. In the U.S. I probably wouldn't even think about this that much because she is almost 18 and I could easily just go by her house and get a feel for her parents. I guess if I wrote this anywhere other than a general forum it would be different. God I wish they would just ban you.