Variety of Fish found here in the DR

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Over the years i've seen a lot of strange and colorful fish here on the island. Some of them are brought to the restaurants by local fishermen to sale. Others are caught by friends and acquaintances. Of these pictures here, the ones on Cabarete beach has been from local fishermen looking to sell, but the very colorful fish--including the eels--they have been caught by a father and son team from Austria--Peter & Gerald; we travel and race motorcycles around the island together and have shot many record setting, reckless, time-traveling Youtube videos together.

1. Moray Eel, caught near the POP airport.
fish45.jpg

2. Some kind of parrot fish, caught near the POP airport.
fish44.jpg

3. Moray Eel, near POP airport
fish43.jpg

4. Moray Eel, near POP

fish42.jpg

5. Some kind of rock fish or Scorpion Fish, but not really sure the true name, caught near POP airport
fish41.jpg

6. Rock fish or Scorpion Fish, near POP airport
fish40.jpg

7. Dorado
fish38.png

8. Barracuda
fish37.png

9. Barracuda
fish36.png

10. Yellow Tail Snapper or Slippery Dick? (the fish), i'm not sure. Near POP airport
fish35.png

11. Blue head Wrasse??, near puerto plata
fish34.jpg

12. Dorado, near Puerto Plata
fish33.jpg

13. Blue Striped Grunt?? Near POP airport.
fish31.jpg

Blue Striped Grunt?? near POP
fish30.jpg

15. Coney fish? or Red Hind?? near POP
fish29.png

16. Spotted Moray Eel, near POP
fish28.png

17. Clown Wrasse?? near POP
fish27.jpg

18. Flounder? or Sole? near POP
fish26.jpg

19. Flounder? or Sole? with Peter holding it near POP airport.
fish25.jpg

20. Some kind of hermit crab, near POP
fish24.jpg

Next 20 pictures coming later this morning. got to eat and run to work!

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Ok, just a few more...

21. Hermit crabs near POP airport
fish23.jpg

22. Creole Wrasse?? Near POP airport
fish22.jpg

23. Some kind of Flounder or Sole?? near POP
fish21.jpg

24. Flounder?? near POP
fish20.jpg

25. Some kind of coral eating Parrot fish?? near POP
fish19.jpg

26. Blue Tang?? or a File Fish??I have no idea!! Near POP airport
fish18.jpg

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Oh, what the heck...a few more.

I'm pretty sure that #26 is a Trunk Fish? Or maybe a...File Fish?

27. Family of Parrot fish?? Near POP
fish17.jpg

28. Some kind of Wrasse? Creole Wrasse?? Near POP
fish16.jpg

29. Nassau Grouper? Seargent Major?? No idea! Near POP
fish15.jpg

30. Coral eating Parrot Fish, near POP airport

fish14.jpg

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Great display of fish! They're almost too beautiful to eat. What a great aquarium they'd make.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
31. Redband Parrot fish
fish13.jpg

32. Blue Striped Grunt or French Grunt?
fish12.png

33. Red Hind, near POP
fish11.jpg

34. Squirrel Fish, near POP
fish10.png

35. Coney fish?
fish9.png

36. Red Hind, near POP
fish8.png

37. Some kind of Squirrel fish or cardinal fish, but not sure, near POP
fish7.png

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
38. Emo? just kidding, no one knows what this is? caught near POP
fish6.png

39. Child's Toy? near POP
fish4.jpg

40. Spotted Moray Eel, near POP
fish3.jpg

41. Squirrel Fish, near POP
fish2.jpg

42. Longspine Squirrel Fish?? near POP airport
fish2.jpg

email Link to color pictures of different Caribbean fish:
Caribbean Reefs - Angelfishes - Butterflyfishes - Surgeonfishes - Damselfishes - Chromis - Hamlets - Jacks - Porgies - Mojarras - Chubs - Spadefishes - Tarpons - Barracudas - Bonnetmouths - Bonefishes - Mackerels - Needlefishes - Halfbeaks - Groupers

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all those pictures... pichardo, is that you? :)

and seriously, "slippery dick"? i am afraid to google images of that one... :)

my dad would love you so much. he really likes fish and cannot wait to come here one day and eat all those specimens. what i would like to do is to learn how to fillet those buggers. i cannot do it as well as professionals :( i leave too much meat on the bones and too much bones in the meat.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012

my dad would love you so much. he really likes fish and cannot wait to come here one day and eat all those specimens. what i would like to do is to learn how to fillet those buggers. i cannot do it as well as professionals :( i leave too much meat on the bones and too much bones in the meat.

two of us one time caught over 275 mackerals. you learn how to fillet real fast......:D

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Frank, Mr. AE was an avid diver in DR for decades, we loved the photos. Here's his take on some of them.

#5. The spines on that fish are poisonous, don't step on one!

#10. He thinks that's an angelfish

#21. Dominicans call these bulgao. He was trying to buy a couple of dozen of these for 2 months during our last trip. We never did find any for sale anywhere, he wanted a locrio.

#23. Dominicans call these 'tapa culo' :)

#32. Dominicans call these Bandareta fish.

#34 & 41. These are called Candil. They eat lobster spines. He says if you see these fish in an area, there are lobster nearby. And if you see candil around, look out for eels because they eat the candil.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Frank, Mr. AE was an avid diver in DR for decades, we loved the photos. Here's his take on some of them.

#5. The spines on that fish are poisonous, don't step on one!

#10. He thinks that's an angelfish

#21. Dominicans call these bulgao. He was trying to buy a couple of dozen of these for 2 months during our last trip. We never did find any for sale anywhere, he wanted a locrio.

#23. Dominicans call these 'tapa culo' :)

#32. Dominicans call these Bandareta fish.

#34 & 41. These are called Candil. They eat lobster spines. He says if you see these fish in an area, there are lobster nearby. And if you see candil around, look out for eels because they eat the candil.

Nice, thanks very much!!:classic:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
43. Barracuda on the left, Dorado on the right, Dominican species right in the middle.
IMG]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u79/ktmfrank/Fish%20found%20in%20the%20DR/20121103_095634.jpg[/IMG]

44. Yellow tail on the left? Half Dominican tail on the right, Canadian beluga whale on the far,far left.
DSC00785a.jpg

45. Yellow tail??
DSC00783.jpg

46. Caribbean Snapper in the middle, Dominican Snapper on the far right. Half Dominican Snapper holding the Caribbean Snapper.
DSC00616.jpg

47. California Snapper on left.
DSC00613.jpg

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Go ahead (hope you have safe search activated though...) :):

https://www.google.com/search?q=fis...&biw=1920&bih=1014&sei=GxS6UPW5IpC89QTSpoHQCg

dom

Jun 1, 2011
hey nice pics, but would be nicer to avoid killing the fish you dont know, or your not going to eat anyways, its actually a shame what you are doing, im a fisherman myself, i even do spearfishing, but i never kill what i cant eat !!, shame on you

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Beautiful pictures Frank.........makes me feel like taking up diving now just took look at this beautiful fish! Thanks for sharing!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
hey nice pics, but would be nicer to avoid killing the fish you dont know, or your not going to eat anyways, its actually a shame what you are doing, im a fisherman myself, i even do spearfishing, but i never kill what i cant eat !!, shame on you

I agree with you 100%!! but who said they were not being eaten? Everything has been eaten here--including the eels--or thrown back in the water--as in the case of the red fish which we could not identify.

I don't think you realize that we're talking about Dominicans and two Austrians here...we eat everything. This is not some family excursion from Montana coming down here with fishing polls and just catching things for the fun of it. I will eat anything you put in front of me that has been cooked--including grasshoppers, ants, cockroaches, cat, dog, and horsesh&%t if it's cooked properly. and that's no joke. Ask anyone at O'shay's if there is any fish i will not eat?

But again, i agree with you 100%. I never understood killing something just for the sake of killing.

Frank

May 29, 2006
Ok, just a few more...

26. Blue Tang?? or a File Fish??I have no idea!! Near POP airport
fish18.jpg

I believe that is a cowfish, definitely some kind of trunkfish. Same family as pufferfish. It's called a cowfish because of the two "horns" on its head.

Parrotfish you can tell because they have a single plate bone along the body instead of an articulated spine. They are esp tasty. When I saw them in the Turks and Caicos, they were 20"-24" long on average.

Groupers can be hard to ID because they come in many different colors. I was taught to spot them by the way they move their pectoral fins alternately.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
43. Puerto Bahia, Samana. Puffer Fish?? Caught with a net already dead and floating in the Marina--the new beautiful Marina near Samana.
DSC00046.jpg

44. Puerto Bahia, Samana. I wish i explain how hard it was to pick this fish up...the spines were as sharp as razors!!
DSC00045.jpg

45. Puerto Bahia, Samana. It was so hard to pick this fish up. the spines were two inches long and razor sharp!
DSC00578.jpg

46. Puerto Bahia, Samana. Puffer fish or blow fish?? Pulled out of the water with a net.
DSC00577.jpg