Metal Detectors / Treasure Hunting / Beach

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I bought a metal detector for my son. We want to use it at the beach.

Never heard of but are there any restrictions we have to be aware of using it here?

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
lolGood one Mike. I hope you turn up some gold crowns as well (not attached to anyone's head) :)

agw

Feb 14, 2010
We used one at Playa Macao a few years ago couple of times. Found tons and tons of bottle caps, a cheap ring probably sold right there, few coins and nothing else. The fun part was all the small boys who were fascinated with what we were doing and ended up doing all the digging for us! We of course gave them all the coins we found and extra for themselves for their work. It made for a fun few afternoons.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Honestly I do not expect anything else than Presidente bottle caps, lol. Fun for my son, that is the goal. :)

agw

Feb 14, 2010
Honestly I do not expect anything else than Presidente bottle caps, lol. Fun for my son, that is the goal. :)

Best places are near anything that a tourist is likely to sit on while they change, remove shoes, eat etc. That includes under palm trees. The boys were quite helpful in showing us places to try. My Spanish is still not very good, but it was pretty easy to communicate with the kids... they wanted to as much as I did!

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I brought my metal detector with me and did a few try's with it near Palenque...found nothing but bottle caps but there is a fairly long beach area i'm wanting to explore the next time. Palenque is on a spit of land so maybe something good has washed ashore here?

May 29, 2006
The newer metal detectors can filter out bottle caps and even identify what kind of metal is found. I dunno, they used to use 90% silver coins in the DR up until about 1970.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Amazon.com: Garret 1139070 Ace 250 Metal Detector: Patio, Lawn & Garden

That's the one I own. It has different sounds for different metals etc.

There are far more sophisticated ones out there which cost 1000 USD and up. Far too much of an investment for doing it maybe 10 times a year, but for the serious treasure hunter a must.

The newer metal detectors can filter out bottle caps and even identify what kind of metal is found. I dunno, they used to use 90% silver coins in the DR up until about 1970.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You never know what you might find.... back in the early 80s, a Dominican we know who was a diver found an old gold Spanish coin in shallow water on the southern coast after a storm - it might have been after Hurricane David in '79. If I remember correctly, it was around Guayacanes, Mr. AE not here to ask right now. He spent years diving in the area trying to find more, or find where it had come from - unsuccessfully.

Another time he found a small bronze cannon, but that was diving, not with a metal detector on the beach.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I guy in my small village when working for the brugal hacienda, who own lots of land around here found a gold plated musket can u believe. The same night he was ar a local cabaret and spoke about it. A guy came up to him and offered 1000 pesos for it without seeing it. deal done. a month later he sold it to an american for 15 000 us dollars. poor working guy never got over it.......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
malko, big mistake talking about it.

True story:

When Mr. AE's kid brother was diving off Playa Najayo, around 1978 or so, he called us in NY all excited. He had found a couple of cannons that were too large to move, and a chest/cabinet of some sort with it. He described the dimensions and asked Mr. AE [also a diver, but older and more experienced] for his advice on what to do. First thing he told is was NOT to tell ANYONE that he found them. Well, that ship had already sailed, he was so excited that he had 'mentioned' it already.

When he went back down to the site, with a couple of diving buddies, the chest and one of the cannons were gone. There was never a whisper anywhere about who took them or what was in the chest.

May 29, 2006
Got to be pretty hard to keep quiet about finding treasure..

I wonder if amber ever floats up on the beaches. Beach found amber was the primary source in Europe for hundreds of years.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you get a detector that works underwater, you may find fewer bottle caps.
I know a few people who lost their gold chains, and/or gold ear rings while swimming.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
I have two Garretts, and one of them allows to choose the metal that we want to search, in Portugal I've already found several pieces of gold (but nothing old, just some things that people lose on the beach), but what I really like finding are Roman coins from the II and III century :cool: I prefer the coins at any gold ring that I can find), but they are very hard to find because most are in copper or silver and with the erosion they get badly damaged, I hope there is no prohibition in DR for the detectors (in Portugal they are not allowed in the public beaches:mad:),I intend to bring my detectors to DR
JT

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"...but people wouldn't know what it is..."

Couldn't care less :devious:, as long I know what it is ;)

Yes, with all the "whale traffic" every year over there one could assume there should be some.