What cheap android phone? What prepaid service?

LenteSubigo

Dec 2, 2012
I will be back in puerto plata in January for just over two weeks. I am planning on getting a cheap GSM android phone and service through Orange or Claro. I'm assuming I will be better off finding a phone before heading on down? I plan on using mostly GPS and internet, I can likely get by with 100 or less actual talk minutes.

Who should I go with Orange, Claro, someone else? Can I get the sim card online or do I need to go shopping for one when I arrive?

Anyone try the no name Android phones from China on ebay? Recommended? or should I go with a used ATT/Tmobile GSM android phone?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I will be back in puerto plata in January for just over two weeks. I am planning on getting a cheap GSM android phone and service through Orange or Claro. I'm assuming I will be better off finding a phone before heading on down? I plan on using mostly GPS and internet, I can likely get by with 100 or less actual talk minutes.

If you are not going to be using it for contact then why not go 3G rather than GSM. From my understanding this is a much faster service and would satisfy your needs much better than GSM?

You can pick up a phone with 3G prepay in the claro shops here for around 100bucks, much less if you don't mind going for a brand you're not familiar with.

LenteSubigo

Dec 2, 2012
When I said GSM I really just mean the kind that use SIM cards. I have never used a GSM/SIM card phone before, I have been on CDMA (Sprint.)

I really just want to be able to explore on my own for this trip. No taxi drivers. I will need internet, gps, and a few minutes.

I would prefer the phone be Android based so I can use Google Maps/Navigation and other apps I'm used to.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This will work with any Sim card. You can use it with a sim that you buy minutes for. You don't have to have 3G for it to work.
3G implies a fast internet connection without wifi, not a phone connection. It's a GSM phone, not 3G.

It's no big deal. I don't have a 3G either, but have a wifi phone.

The OP seemed to say he wanted 3G internet.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I am very happy since I ditched BlackBerry for Android.... I went for this cheap Androphone, and so far it's all good. That said, I am on the basic voice plan "Ardilla" from Orange, and use internet in wifi only. But you could get a "Leopardo" plan with unlimited 3G internet: See it here: Alcatel One Touch 983 - Orange Dominicana

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
3G is data connection type. It is available for both GSM and CDMA technologies. From the point of view of the end user, the only difference is the use of the SIM card, which only applies to GSM. CDMA phones have to be programmed with the companies PRL, which is the company information the GSM phones store int he SIM card.
In DR there are both GSM and CDMA services. Only orange is GSM only, Claro and Viva offer both GSM and CDMA and Tricom offers onlye CDMA. However, those companies won't sell you a CDMA phone, but will sell you a line for it if you bring your own phone. They will gladly sell you GSM phones.
If I were you, I would bring my own phone, just pay attention to these 2 important features about the phone:

1) The phone must be unlocked. I can always be unlocked here but it will cost you (although only about 10 buck at most)
2) If your phone is not quadband, make sure you know the frequencies your phone supports, because depending on that you must get the service with the corresponding company. Claro and Orange work on different frequencies. That only concerns 3G data, as voice will work either way. If your phone uses one frequency and your company the other, you will be stuck with 2G data (slower) and won't be able to enjoy 3G data (much faster). Just let me know what phone you will be bringing down, and I'll be happy to tell you which company it works best with.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just curious, how is the phone working? If you read some of the feedback for that seller, some of the phones dont work properly. Just wondering?

Phone is working flawlessly. She connects to the Internet wirelessly, and it is as fast as my landline computer. As for calls, as good as any phone I would say.

I ordered this phone about 2 weeks ago. Should be here in a week. I order it through EPS. When I get it I will let you know how it is. This phone has much higher specs than the other one. And the compay in China has a great reputation.

8GB Dual Core 1GHz MTK6577 Android 4 0 4 0" 8 0MP 1g RAM Jiayu G2 3G Phone JY G2 | eBay

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Phone is working flawlessly. She connects to the Internet wirelessly, and it is as fast as my landline computer. As for calls, as good as any phone I would say.

I ordered this phone about 2 weeks ago. Should be here in a week. I order it through EPS. When I get it I will let you know how it is. This phone has much higher specs than the other one. And the compay in China has a great reputation.

8GB Dual Core 1GHz MTK6577 Android 4 0 4 0" 8 0MP 1g RAM Jiayu G2 3G Phone JY G2 | eBay

Thanks for the info. I have an android but my husband is needing a new phone. I passed on the link.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

For less than that you can get any number of good used name brand Android phones on ebay...Motorola, Samsung, HTC, LG, etc...for the same price or a few dollars more, you can get last year's state the art models... Samsung Galaxy S2, Motorola Razr Maxx, HTC One, LG Nitro HD, etc...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For less than that you can get any number of good used name brand Android phones on ebay...Motorola, Samsung, HTC, LG, etc...for the same price or a few dollars more, you can get last year's state the art models... Samsung Galaxy S2, Motorola Razr Maxx, HTC One, LG Nitro HD, etc...

I guess if you like used that is good. I like my electronics new out of the box.

LenteSubigo

Dec 2, 2012

Way too expensive for a phone that will be used for two weeks then sit for a year and repeat.

I'm not sure why they moved this thread to "living." It makes more sense in travel as it's a short term travel phone question, not a long term "living" phone question.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Claro and Viva offer both GSM and CDMA and Tricom offers onlye CDMA. However, those companies won't sell you a CDMA phone, but will sell you a line for it if you bring your own phone. They will gladly sell you GSM phones.

Castle, will any of those carriers activate a CDMA iPhone4 I bring from the states?

simplyme

May 3, 2013
i MUst say galaxy pocket would be great as it is cheap whih supports 3g and also have more number of options