Renting a Car in POP area

LenteSubigo

Dec 2, 2012
I'm looking to rent a car in POP. Can you guys help me find the best deal for what I'm looking for?

What I'm looking for:
1. I don't want to worry about screwing myself (legal or monetary) if the car is damaged. Insurance, low or no liability on me
2. Reliably gets me from A to B and back for the full 16 days.
3. I'm a bigger guy, so nothing too tiny.
4. Ugly, pretty, manual, auto, I don't really care. If it stops, goes, turns, honks, and all the lights work, I'm ok with it.
5. Fuel economy, as long as gas isn't flowing out of the car like a river, I think I will be fine.
6. It's a nice plus if the money goes to locals over the huge international companies as well.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
There is a Spanish fellow who lives on the Malecon in POP. He rents cars ffor $20.00 US a day. He will pick you up at the airport when you arrive and will drive you back to the airport when you leave. You can reach him at 809-973-5065. If you need more info or he asks where you heard about him you can PM me

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
J have been renting cars alot out of pop. If you go with thrifty and tell them you are going to stay more than a week you can get a good price. I have been always reserving the small car wich they seem to upgrade to larger free because they dont have enough cars. atleast with a mjr. chain and a credit card you will have help if there is a problem or issues.Make sure you do thouroh ins. they are usually beatup and that is a good thing because there is so many dings the hole sheet is marked up.You really want to look at the glass they are usually chipped. they have not tried to charge any extra just dont bring back with less fuel their rate is 20 a gallon.

Tailspin

Nov 13, 2012

Hi.. Thanks for posting this site.. It is a little short on details. Since you have rented from them could you tell me.. when they say "Free pickup to/from POP airport" are they picking you up at the airport and taking you to the car rental agency (a few miles out)? or do they have the car pickup/drop-off at the airport for you?

Also, the site says "Price includes all insurance and taxes" but has no other details.. Can you tell me from your rental agreement if this includes liability and/or loss damage waiver?

Comparing the prices to say Thrifty for the Chevy Aveo:

OK Motors lists it for 203.00 dollars for seven days..

Thrifty lists it for 131.00 dollars for seven days. Liability is 8.95 a day (so another 59.15) and Loss Damage Waiver is 20.95 a day so 146.65.. The total being 336.80 (which does not include "taxes, fees, and other surcharges") though there is a 10% discount for paying in advance so with all insurance, paying early, and adding in taxes it would be around 350.00 so 203.00 would be a big savings :)

Last edited:

LenteSubigo

Dec 2, 2012
To be honest, I'm looking for some really ugly cars. If it's not ugly, manual, and at least 15 years old, I'm not sure I'm going to be satisfied.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Carlos Lowenberg 809 886 3212 The best guy, price, reliable and honest guy. Me and friends have rented from him in the past.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012

We had a great experience with these guys just yesterday, our car broke down so we had it towed to Sosua Abajo and we took our moto to OK motors. I dropped off the wife she handled the affairs I shuttled the kids to afternoon appts and then at 5:00 pm the guy calls back and says our car is done. We were told it was going to be 7-10 days maybe so we rented the vehicle for 7. My wife ran the car back down as I continued shuttling kids around and the guy gave us a full refund of all our money. We only had the car maybe 2 hours tops and the wife had put 2000 pesos in it for fuel. He offered to go pull the fuel out we declined and said we will spread his name around with a good word attached.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
To be honest, I'm looking for some really ugly cars. If it's not ugly, manual, and at least 15 years old, I'm not sure I'm going to be satisfied.

Maybe we can resurrect the "RentAWreck" franchise !!!??

Big business down here.....

Actually, they ARE here.............

National, Thrifty, Hertz...

All the rentals stink.

I ripped the front off one..... a couple of those plastic straps, fixed.
Delivered one back with a rear tire rapidly going flat..... I just positioned myself in front of it and welcomed the guy to inspect the car.
I never moved..... passed the test.

The car went off to the lot lopsided that tire was so low.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Try to rent online for pickup from the POP airport. I've gotten the best deals that way always. Renting locally was always more expensive.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Are you talking about Emilio? He's married to my husband's cousin and he has good prices. He's honest too.