Few questions about UASD?

Mayah Krishnakumar

Dec 3, 2012
Hi :) I'm from India and I wanna major in Political Science in UASD. I have a few questions about that..like how much is the fee per semester? and are there any qualifying exams I need to take to get into the country's universities. i.e. there is ToEFL, SAT etc. for USA..anything of that sort? I was told that I need to take an entrance exam sorta thing to get into UASD which includes math, biology, DR history. They also mentioned it was a 'General Knowledge' test. How exactly do I prepare for this? What should I concentrate on? I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. Thank u :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why on earth would you want to go to this university in the Dominican Republic>? Especially when there are so many other choices??
I do not know of any sort of tests given to become a student there.
Perhaps you should go to a university in the USA???
If you are in India right now, you should go to Delhi and talk to the Dominican ambassador, Hanns Dannenberg.

There are some good places to study but not Political Science. And you should know that fees for foreigners are very high, so you should probably think about someplace else.

HB

Last edited:

Mayah Krishnakumar

Dec 3, 2012
Oh :( My boy friend is there. Ty, I would be going to Delhi soon :) And the fee, how high are we talking? And what do you mean by "not Political Science" ? :O

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This might be in the wrong thread, but is your boy friend a Dominican?

Why did you choose the UASD?

Why not political science? Because Political Science, as taught here, is ridiculously limited and short sighted. It is not really considered a career path. In most of the universities here they offer law, which is only good for here and France, and then careers like engineering, business administration, medicine, dentistry, and such...you know, practical things.

As to the cost I have no idea, but it would be a lot more than Dominicans pay.
Doesn't their website tell you these things??? (cough cough snort snort)

HB

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
UASD is a...complicated university. I've known people who attend or attended UASD, and some things are hard to believe for the outsider, but common things for the community. Seats per class are very limited so your major path and pace is not necessarily what you would like it to be. 7 to 8 years is considered normal major length in UASD. Some teachers cancel classes when it rains, and things like that. In terms of costs, for dominicans is very cheap. I think something around US$ 40 or 50 per semester, which is really peanuts. I have no idea of the cost for foreigners. Many people disagree, but I find universitiy tuition to be rather inexpensive in this country. You might want to check other options.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't forget a "Gas Mask", and full "Swat Team" gear!
If you choose "La UASD" you will have a LOT of free time to spend with your "Boyfriend"!
"Strikes",Rain, Sun, and any other excuse means no classe, sometimes for weeks.
When you graduate,(Some Students are "Career Students:) the president of the student body was there for more that 20 YEARS!!!!!
AND, you may enjoy the odor of "Tear Gas", and the sound of gun fire!
Your degree from there is pretty much useless, unles you plan to renounce your Indian citizenship, and run for a political office in the DR government.
THEN, it is a PLUS!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"BOYFRIEND"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The things many women do for a man who's name they won't remember in 5 years!
CCCCCCCCCCCCC

JeiJei

Jan 12, 2012
@ Hillbilly

I have never heard that law degrees here can be utilized in France. Do you happen to know if a law degree from UAPA can be used in France? I have just started studying law there and would love if I could use my degree in France. Thanks for any info.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
While legal studies in the D.R. is heavily based in the Napoleonic Code, I don't think a law degree from a Dominican university would allow you to practice the craft in France, Louisiana-USA, Quebec, or anywhere else but the D.R.

Two years ago, former Supreme Court of Justice president, Ubero Isa, demanded that all law graduates should be fluent in French. However, MOST schools only include two French classes in the pensum de Derecho: Franc?s Elemental I y II.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I thought Indian Universities were top-notch :speechles

A few years ago, 60 Minutes had a segment on the Indian Institute of Technology.

Bottom line: it is so competitive and rigorous, that some of the folks they reject, end up going to Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard, MIT, Cal-Tech, and Stanford.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Don't forget a "Gas Mask", and full "Swat Team" gear!
If you choose "La UASD" you will have a LOT of free time to spend with your "Boyfriend"!
"Strikes",Rain, Sun, and any other excuse means no classe, sometimes for weeks.
When you graduate,(Some Students are "Career Students:) the president of the student body was there for more that 20 YEARS!!!!!
AND, you may enjoy the odor of "Tear Gas", and the sound of gun fire!
Your degree from there is pretty much useless, unles you plan to renounce your Indian citizenship, and run for a political office in the DR government.
THEN, it is a PLUS!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CC is spot on. I am in the amazement phase as my wife tries to complete her her 8ish year degree. This is the oldest university in the Americas...and an embarrassment from my admittedly limited view. The best thing to come out of this school is the Metro headed north to grab more suckers from Villa Mella whose time would be better spent selling faux Chuck Norris All Stars on the Hermanas Mirabel.

And seriously...in the summer of 2011 which I was lucky to spend the bulk of in SD with my then fianc?, she was within 4 classes of finishing her degree (which she had chosen to interrupt once
in 2008 to take a govt job to earn money to buy milk for her scab brother's baby boy...another story). Yes last summer she had 5 class sessions a week, of which if she was lucky, she averaged 2 that actually took place due to all the factors CC cites.

We indeed had a lot of time for ourselves. But now 1.5 years later she still is short to graduate. And it now becomes a race between the bureaucracy heavy USCIS as we hopefully close in on her spousal visa, and the ineptitude of UASD. Choose another school is my advice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Many graduates of Dominican law schools go to France for advanced degrees. They have to study in French, present their thesis before a panal of judges, in French, and can, if they pass the bar, practice in France--as I understand the system.
For example, Doctora Rocina de la Cruz de Alvarado, one of the nation's outstanding civil and administrative lawyers, did here doctorate at Paris VII (the Sorbonne)....

HB

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Many graduates of Dominican law schools go to France for advanced degrees. They have to study in French, present their thesis before a panal of judges, in French, and can, if they pass the bar, practice in France--as I understand the system.
For example, Doctora Rocina de la Cruz de Alvarado, one of the nation's outstanding civil and administrative lawyers, did here doctorate at Paris VII (the Sorbonne)....

HB

Yes, sir, that's correct on the advanced degree option.