New Laws Reguarding Expats without DR Residency Trying to return to the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I left the DR for Boston near the end of October.
I had "overstayed" my tourist visa for the DR, as I have routinely done for the past 20 or more years.
What a surprise when I tried to enter the DR this time!!
As I Attempted to pass the immigration agent, he looked VERY upset!
He took my passport and went into an office. After about 10 minutes, he returned, with several other agents and two "Policia National".
I was escourted to the office and questioned for over an hour!
I was told I must leave the DR on the next available flight to Anywhere!
They took me to another room, where I was "Strip Searched" and given a rectal exam!!
I was then allowed to fly to San Juan Puert Rico.
I was told that if I EVER attempted to re-enter the DR, I would be subject to a criminal court-of-law, and could be put in prison for a "Long Time" according to them.
I am now back in Boston and desperate to be with my family in Santo Domino!!!!!!
________________________________________________________________________________________

Now if you actually believe THAT STORY, you don't know "Jack $hit" about how "Things" work here in the DR, especially Government "THINGS"!
I returned Sat. at about 4 am with NO PROBLEMAS!!!
I even had an $800 US Dollar Dell Desk Top in my HUGE carry-on bag!!
Customs was just a "Saludos" same as always!
I had more trouble leaving the USA than entering the DR!
They took all my bags to two different inspection areas.They did physical exams, as well as a "Wipe Test" for explosive residue.
LUCKILY, the guy at the second station was a "Dominicano"!!
He said I shouldn't have 6 oz containers of Yogurt & Cottage Cheese in my "Carry-On' luggage!
He then said, "En Espanol", but I see you have a lot of medicines in the bag, and we will say you have to take them with "Yogurt" if anyone asks.
I call that the "Yogurt Defense"!
The ONLY thing that has changed since I left is, PRICES CONTINUE TO Go UP!
The DR Peso continues to go DOWN!
And start hoarding "K-Y Jelly" because today we are all going to see how much we are all going to be "Phucked" next year!!!!
The New Taxes for 2013 will be announced today!!!!
Welcome to "Paradise"", Dominican Style!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't need "K-Y" anymore!
I have lived here for nearly a quarter of a century, I am dialated from the constant "Buggering"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
Question to Criss: But when all is said and done, is not life in the DR cheaper than say U.S. or Canada? Lets qualify that with people who have lived there, speak Spanish, and knows how things work.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Question to Criss: But when all is said and done, is not life in the DR cheaper than say U.S. or Canada? Lets qualify that with people who have lived there, speak Spanish, and knows how things work.

It depends. Anything that has to be imported will cost more. Anything produced locally will generally be cheaper, at least, that has been my experience. For example, I got a pair of pants and shirt this weekend at a local Dominican store, The levi jeans and shirt cost me 450 pesos(about $11 bucks). I've never seen a pair of Levis sale for that much in the states.

I noticed in the grocery store that American brand foods cost more, but foods produced locally were less. So overall I think the DR is cheaper if you stick to local stuff most of the time.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I left the DR for Boston near the end of October.
I had "overstayed" my tourist visa for the DR, as I have routinely done for the past 20 or more years.
What a surprise when I tried to enter the DR this time!!
As I Attempted to pass the immigration agent, he looked VERY upset!
He took my passport and went into an office. After about 10 minutes, he returned, with several other agents and two "Policia National".
I was escourted to the office and questioned for over an hour!
I was told I must leave the DR on the next available flight to Anywhere!
They took me to another room, where I was "Strip Searched" and given a rectal exam!!
I was then allowed to fly to San Juan Puert Rico.
I was told that if I EVER attempted to re-enter the DR, I would be subject to a criminal court-of-law, and could be put in prison for a "Long Time" according to them.
I am now back in Boston and desperate to be with my family in Santo Domino!!!!!!
________________________________________________________________________________________

Now if you actually believe THAT STORY, you don't know "Jack $hit" about how "Things" work here in the DR, especially Government "THINGS"!
I returned Sat. at about 4 am with NO PROBLEMAS!!!
I even had an $800 US Dollar Dell Desk Top in my HUGE carry-on bag!!
Customs was just a "Saludos" same as always!
I had more trouble leaving the USA than entering the DR!
They took all my bags to two different inspection areas.They did physical exams, as well as a "Wipe Test" for explosive residue.
LUCKILY, the guy at the second station was a "Dominicano"!!
He said I shouldn't have 6 oz containers of Yogurt & Cottage Cheese in my "Carry-On' luggage!
He then said, "En Espanol", but I see you have a lot of medicines in the bag, and we will say you have to take them with "Yogurt" if anyone asks.
I call that the "Yogurt Defense"!
The ONLY thing that has changed since I left is, PRICES CONTINUE TO Go UP!
The DR Peso continues to go DOWN!
And start hoarding "K-Y Jelly" because today we are all going to see how much we are all going to be "Phucked" next year!!!!
The New Taxes for 2013 will be announced today!!!!
Welcome to "Paradise"", Dominican Style!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

How do you know the story isn't true? It sounds like you're basing your opinion on your own subjective experience. Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it didn't happen to someone else.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Where in the US versus where in the DR and at what level of living are some questions that need to be discussed before a valid response is made.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How do you know the story isn't true? It sounds like you're basing your opinion on your own subjective experience. Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it didn't happen to someone else.

If the first part of CC's story were true for others, it won't be long before we all hear about it.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"The levi jeans and shirt cost me 450 pesos(about $11 bucks). I've never seen a pair of Levis sale for that much in the states."

I hate to break that to you but your new Levis may not be a "real" Levis... ;)

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
"The levi jeans and shirt cost me 450 pesos(about $11 bucks). I've never seen a pair of Levis sale for that much in the states."

I hate to break that to you but your new Levis may not be a "real" Levis... ;)

You may be right, but I don't really care much about clothes or brand names. Saving money is more important, and 450 pesos is real hard to beat.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
If the first part of CC's story were true for others, it won't be long before we all hear about it.

I don't know if I'd want to risk it over the long term though. It would REALLY suck to get into that type of situation. Being interrogated, having a rectal exam, and being told not to return under the threat is being prosecuted is serious. There is a good reason I left the USA, and damn sure don't want to go back. The way I see it, it is better to be safe than sorry. So how hard is it to get residency, and how long do these tourist cards last anyway? Can I go to the airport and renew it?

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Real Levi's? Or the ubiquitous knock-offs?

Now that you mention it, they probably were. But clothes aren't super important to me. It isn't like stock or real estate where it will gain value over time. It is difficult to resale. See, when it comes to clothes, real levis are the same as the knock offs, what I mean is that it doesn't have a resale value and it doesn't appreciate like an investment, so it is nonsensical to spend much money on it. I never understood why people spend huge sums on clothes, I mean even if its a $10,000 suit it will eventually go out of style and you certainly can't resale it for much. If I'm going to spend a bunch of money on something, I would invest it in a business or stocks or gold or something that I know will stand the test of time.

Dec 26, 2011
Now that you mention it, they probably were. But clothes aren't super important to me. It isn't like stock or real estate where it will gain value over time. It is difficult to resale. See, when it comes to clothes, real levis are the same as the knock offs, what I mean is that it doesn't have a resale value and it doesn't appreciate like an investment, so it is nonsensical to spend much money on it. I never understood why people spend huge sums on clothes, I mean even if its a $10,000 suit it will eventually go out of style and you certainly can't resale it for much. If I'm going to spend a bunch of money on something, I would invest it in a business or stocks or gold or something that I know will stand the test of time.

Real Levi's are known for their durability. With fakes you're paying for the name and getting none of the quality for which the name stands. You were suckered. No biggie. Just giving you the heads-up on your 450 peso outfit. I agree a $10,000 suit is not a good investment. But a $40 pair of jeans will last for many years and just get better with time.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
See, when it comes to clothes, real levis are the same as the knock offs, what I mean is that it doesn't have a resale value and it doesn't appreciate like an investment

Sorry but vintage Levis are worth alot even ones that are in bad shape.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I have a question guys. It says online that the Dominican tourist card lasts about three months. Couldn't you just return to the airport and buy another one for $10, or can you only buy one when you're entering the country? What I'm asking is, can the card be renewed?

Cris Colon is probably right. It doesn't make much sense for Dominican immigration to do this, and I'll explain why. First, it is basic macroeconomics. The vast majority of expats who are staying down here aren't taking jobs away from the locals, like Haitians do or Mexicans back in the United States. These foreigners who are staying here are bringing money INTO the economy. So what I don't get is, why would you kick out people who are not leeching off you? It doesn't add up unless some other agenda is at work.

Regardless, I'm going to play it safe, you guys can do what you want. I like to keep my bases covered. it is better to be safe than sorry. If you plan to stay here for a long time I just say get the residency. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

There are HUGE threads on this.....

BBBBBBBBut, CC is a veteran supermercado shopper = daily

No better person to ask

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have a question guys. It says online that the Dominican tourist card lasts about three months. Couldn't you just return to the airport and buy another one for $10, or can you only buy one when you're entering the country? What I'm asking is, can the card be renewed?

Other threads have the information that the tourist card can be renewed once only at Migracion in Santo Domingo. NOT at the local airports. Silly but apparently true.

Status
Not open for further replies.