Where to Move? Family Friendly City/Areas in DR

Mika Williams

Dec 3, 2012
Hello all!
I would like to obtain property in the DR in the upcoming year, but I have no idea what areas are 'family friendly'.
I am looking for a place where there are neighbors who have children, places my children can go play and be safe and a great bi-lingual school.

I've heard Boca Chica is NOT the place to be. I visited Sosua, Cabarate and Santo Domingo early this year. I didn't like Santo Domingo but I loved Sosua. The beaches were nice, the grocery stores, bakeries, all basics were covered. They even had the International School which I visited and thought was great. The thing I DIDNT like was the large influx of tourists and the whole sex tourism in general. To each his own, but that isn't an environment I want my children to be exposed to.

Overall, I really want my children to be able to really soak DR culture, customs and life. I dont mind being in a mixed community with people from all over the world, but I could remain in the US and live with people who are from all over the world. I just want to know what your opinions are in terms of the BEST city(ies) to move that are family friendly and economical. I do plan to buy land and build a property if I cannot find a place to rent.
Thanks!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Mika. Regardless of where you go, rent for 6 months (or a term of school) first. Then you will know if it is the right place to be. Please don't buy or build before you know that.

People will tell you that as long as you stay out off Pedro Clisante, you won't be so exposed to that part of Sosua.
Or stay on the Cabarete side of the area. Others will tell you that Santiago is the place to be.

Mika Williams

Dec 3, 2012
I don't know anything about Santiago, so I will start searching there. Is Cabarete a settled area? I had gotten the impression that it was tourist-filled as well.

Dec 26, 2011
La Altagracia Province is nice. Hig?ey, Punta Cana-B?varo-Veron-Macao, Bayahibe. With the final completion of the Coral Highway, you'll find yourself less than a two-hour drive from the capital.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Punta Cana Village - not exactly the "real" DR but a Dominican community with some expats and some mixed families, where everything is clean, peaceful and safe, and within walking distance!

HOME

Mika Williams

Dec 3, 2012
Chirimoya, I just took a peek at Punta Cana Village and it looks beautiful! But pricey lol. I'm not sure that 275k is the right amount for me to spend on a house I plan to live in for a couple years. (We will return to the US when my daughter starts high school).

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Chirimoya, I just took a peek at Punta Cana Village and it looks beautiful! But pricey lol. I'm not sure that 275k is the right amount for me to spend on a house I plan to live in for a couple years. (We will return to the US when my daughter starts high school).

So rent, The Real Estate Market is not exactly "liquid" in DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tambo is right - rents here are fairly negotiable because there is a wide range and lots of availability.

Dec 26, 2011

There's a lot in the general area that could suit you. Blackouts are rare in this part of the island. Many of the locals living in Hig?ey and Veron work in something associated with tourism(hotels/excursions/sport-fishing/timeshare sales/car rental/airport). It's close to some nice beaches and far removed from the sex tourism on the North Coast. I've heard of certain parts of Hig?ey having issues with water supply for some residents, but that's in isolated areas I doubt you'd consider for your home.

Mika Williams

Dec 3, 2012
I may rent initially, but the primary reason I wanted to buy is because I would like to hold onto my home in the DR even after we leave and return during the summer. However, we already have 2 homes in the US and we just aren't looking to spend 275k+ on a home in the DR.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Do not pay attention to asking price in the DR. It is inflated and can be had for much less if you make a cash offer. And I mean MUCH LESS. Over here they think every foreigner is a sucker. And they are right a large amount of the time.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
First, welcome to DR1!

Totally agree with the above posters. The easiest substantial transaction to do in DR is to buy property, the hardest thing is to sell it. I'd seriously consider renting, especially if you're new to the country, and only looking to stay a few years.

Income matters. If you're not independently wealthy, on a pension or have some job you can do remotely, your chances of finding employment that pay at NA or EU standards are slim. Job prospects are obviously better in the big cities.

Do you want a "beach" lifestyle or something less touristy? Jarabacoa (in the "Caribbean Alps"), Santiago and Las Terrenas/Samana are all amazing options, but the lifestyle is quite different.

You may be well-served by starting off by spending the summer out her (with the kids), and staying in each area for a few weeks to get a feel for them. You'll see many of the best parts of the country, the family will have an adventure, and you'll get a much better sense of where to lay down some "rentable roots."

Best of luck to you.

Dec 26, 2011
If I had some money, I'd build a little place between La Otra Banda and El Salado. It's very pretty out there. And quiet. And you're close to the beach at El Macao and a short drive to PUJ. Groceries are cheaper in Hig?ey than down in the Punta Cana area.

Mika Williams

Dec 3, 2012
THanks DRob for the warm welcome :)
Fortunately, I do have a company and I work online from home. My husband works online as well as an IT consultant. So employment is covered. I also co-own a children's summer program and I would like to start an international location in the DR. Which is another reason why I would like to live in an area with lots of families.
I don't want anything touristy, which is why I didn't even consider Cabarete, even though its so beautiful.

Going to the beach is awesome, but we don't need a beach lifestyle. When you say the lifestyle is quite different, what exactly do you mean? Please tell me more as I am ready to learn from the expat experts and am an open book :)

Dec 26, 2011
I think it's a shame to hear about ex-pats that still struggle with Spanish after five, ten or more years residing in RD. If you place yourself in the midst of Dominicans, you may considerably expedite gaining a proper command of the language. The locals will appreciate your efforts to learn their language and learn it well.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Mika,

Thanks for your response. I've been traveling around the country several times a year for the past decade, with trips ranging from a quick weekend to several weeks, but I am not an expat. Chiri, Tambo', Hillbilly, Robert, Criss Colon, Windeguy, dv8, and a number of others are, so I'd try and build an online rapport with them, they give great advice.

The number of beach communities from Costambar-Puerto Plata-Sosua-Cabarete-Rio San Juan-Cabrera make up the "North Coast" or "North Coast Complex." You should think of the Complex as more or less one very large community, as people are constantly going back and forth. There's a lot of variety (Puerto Plata is the third largest town in the country, while Cabarete is almost exclusively geared towards beach surfer tourism.

A lot of people in the North Coast like Sosua, because (once you get away from the sex tourism stuff on Pedro Clisante) it's actually a neat little town that has more or less everything you need. Properties for rent are readily available, and of course the International School is right there. There are other areas of town, but the "real" Sosua community is mainly focused in Los Charamicos about five minutes from the more infamous area.

The adult stuff happens in an area called El Batey, although local authorities and business owners have been pushing to make the trade much more discreet, probably in anticipation of the new cruise line port being built in the Puerto Plata area. I'd steer clear on weekends after 8 p.m., but other than that, it's pretty quiet.

Cabarete has a beautiful beach, but it's a bit rough for young swimmers, and after that, there's not much to do. However, it IS centrally located in the Complex, and has very nice condo properties available. They can be a bit expensive, though.

Cabrera is positively charming, and is quiet and peaceful, but is a ways from the "action." Also, you're an hour from the airport, but if that's not an issue, I'd certainly check it out. Castellamonte is a poster on this site, and runs a business out there, so you should try to get in touch.

In the central valley (Cibao), lies Santiago, my favorite DR city. No beaches, but great spring-like weather year-round. It's the regional capital, so tons of interesting stuff going on at all times. It is NOT geared for tourism, so you would have to work on your Spanish skills. But it's a totally enriching experience, and you'll meet a wide variety of Dominicans. The expats there are more or less fully immersed in the culture, so while you may have challenges attracting people to a school, you'll likely do well with a summer program focusing on expat locals.

Jarabacoa is where well-to-do folks from Santo Domingo go on the weekends. It's very eco-touristy, much like Costa Rica. Slow pace of life, highly affordable, but not much infrastructure compared to the options above. Those who go love it, and it would be ideal to focus some of the activities for your retreat up there.

Las Terrenas probably has the most diverse expat community outside of Santo Domingo and the North Coast. Lots of French and EU folks there, although more NA expats are constantly arriving. It's one of the most beautiful areas on the island IMHO, and has a nice blend of locals, tourists, and expats.