moving to Santo Domingo, any input on neighborhood?

jekel35

Oct 31, 2012
Hey all,

Me and my fiance have been contemplating moving down to Santo domingo and wanted to get some insight on the neighborhood we would be staying in. Currently my family has a house that we'll be using on Av Cayetano Germosen between Avenida Jose Nunez de Caracas and Av Italia.

I pretty much wanted to know the pros and cons about this area and any info would help. So anything about safety, accessibility to stores, metro and such would be great.

Thanks for any info that you send.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Av Cayetano Germos?n (it's actually the right name in that area, but also known as Jose Contreras, just so you know) between Av Nu?ez de Caceres and Av Italia would be right to the south of El mirador. It's a not the safest area but it's not the most dangerous either. So keep your eyes open but don't get paranoid. It's a residential area with both buildings and houses, although old houses are rapidly giving way to buildings. 2 or 3 blocks to the south you have Avenida Independencia. There are supermarkets on that Avenue. To the north you have Av. Mirador del Sur, and then Avenida Anacaona which is arguably the most expensive area right now. Between Cayetano Germosen and Anacona there is the beautiful El Mirador (park), which is closed before 8am and after 5pm so people can jog, walk and ride bicycles with a beatiful (although distant) sea view. You have to go up some flight of stairs to get there. No metro around. Some OMSA (public bus) routes in Av. Independencia. You'll be Ok, IMO.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Contreras is neither here nor there, kind of the place you can live if you have to go out to work every day, but not the kind of place you want to be sitting around absorbing the noise and heat. It's easy traveling as the route is well used by publicos. The top end of Contreras towards Lincoln is safe, the other end gets dodgy, but it is not massively well lit anyway and so you arent going to walkign down there after dark anyway.

jekel35

Oct 31, 2012
Thanks for all the input.
It sounds like its definitely not ritzy-style living its not the slums. So, would living on Jose Contreras mean that its usually going to be very loud most of the time?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Yeah, well. If you are easily bothered by loud noises...you're gonna have a bad time.
Maybe we can send you a couple mp3s by Omega, or Amarfis. Play them in your bedroom very loud for 5 hours. it is very important that you do this while you try to sleep at the same time. If you either fall sleep or start following the rhythm with your right foot, you'll be ok.