That time of year ? Credit card crooks

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
This is just a FYI heads up. Did my monthly shopping at La Sarina In Santo Domingo last Thursday. Used my Capitol one card as usual. What was a little unusual is, for the first time, one of the managers said I didn't have to give them my cedula to copy. Anyway, the card was cloned and there were two attempts to use it on Sunday. I caught it and my new card is on its way. With christmas comming and Dominicans desprate for money this time of year........keep a close eye on your accounts. Oh, and it didn't cost me anything as I reported it right away. First time I've been ripped off at La Sarina.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would never use an out of country credit card here again unless it was an emergency. Far too much fraud at any time of the year.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Well I use my capital one card all the time here. What copy a cedula? I never heard of that before. And I never had a problem except once when years ago I used the card at a store that had their records hacked... but that was years ago and I just recieved a new card back then. I use my card daily and am rarely asked even for a ID....... Who writes this stuff?
Carib

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
We use both cards from here and from usa. not had a problem.the banks know me well and what i buy. i tell them the max i will use in a tranaction they listen.. if i need to charge more i call the bank in texas.. we have to show dl at times. same as usa. they started that in the last few years. cc fraud can happen anyware.

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
Most credit card theft is internal in banks and transaction companies (CardNet).

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
I had my ATM card copied down here recently in Sosua. I have never even used it to make a transaction but I tried to withdraw some cash at Banco Popular and next thing you know I get a phone call about 2 days later that someone had access to my card. The interesting thing was 2 gents in suits where waiting on my wife and me to finish our transaction and talking behind us and as soon as we walked away they pulled a slip of paper out of the machine and walked into the bank. Anyone know what the hell that was about? They were dressed like they worked there. This was the Bank across the street from Super Super.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We use both cards from here and from usa. not had a problem.the banks know me well and what i buy. i tell them the max i will use in a tranaction they listen.. if i need to charge more i call the bank in texas.. we have to show dl at times. same as usa. they started that in the last few years. cc fraud can happen anyware.

You have been fortunate. The problems that happen are with the transaction processing companies that frequently spread your card information all over the world. Hopefully it won't ever happen to you. From my experience, it happens a lot more here.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
You have been fortunate. The problems that happen are with the transaction processing companies that frequently spread your card information all over the world. Hopefully it won't ever happen to you. From my experience, it happens a lot more here.
well we try to be careful

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
I have a credit card but rarely use it, but whenever I make a purchase with the CC I need to enter a PIN code,question (which may seems stupid:chinese: but as I said I am not a expert in CCs)the card with code numbers may be cloned like the others and used by the crooks:confused:
JT

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is no "season" for CC cloning and theft in the DR. It is a year round enterprise.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
There is no "season" for CC cloning and theft in the DR. It is a year round enterprise.

Exactly!. Credit Card limits are not expanded during the holidays. If anything, it shrinks as people use it up. So it would not be a good idea to use these days to commit CC fraud. Debit cards and ATM cards are a different story, though.