Road conditions for travel Sosua to Santo Domingo Airport

mariopoli

Nov 20, 2012
I need to travel Wednesday from Sosua to Santo Dominigo Americas airport by car. I will be driving.

We have had a lot of rain. Does aniyone know if the roads are passible and not flooded? I wll be going through Puerto Plata, Santiago and Santo Domingo. How much time should I allocate. Is this rain going to let up?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I'll break it up like this, following my own pace which could differ from others':

Sosua-Puerto Plata: 30 mins
Going through Puerto Plata: 20 mins
Puerto Plata - Santiago: 1 hour
Going through Santiago: 20 mins
Santiago - Santo Domingo: 2 hours
Going through Santo Domingo: 40 mins
Santo Domingo - Airport: 30 mins

Total = 300 mins = 5 hours

That is assuming normal traffic conditions. In case of rain, add some time accordingly.

mariopoli

Nov 20, 2012
I'll break it up like this, following my own pace which could differ from others':

That is assuming normal traffic conditions. In case of rain, add some time accordingly.

Thanks for the travel details. I want to not come home with persos. I will need 30 or 40 pesos for the toll just before the americas airport and thats it?

Will I be able to fill the gas tank at the gas station outside the airport with a credit card and be able to go to the airport after paying the toll. I dont' want to wind up at the airport and have to pay the toll twice because I have to go buy gas.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Yes. You will need to pay 30 pesos toll just before the airport. You don't pay toll for the leg Santiago-SD (you would the other way around). The Texaco gas station next to the airport is after the toll booth, so you dont have to pay toll again. I'm pretty sure you can turn around right after the gas station. If for any reason you can't, don't take the SD direction (elevated road), but take to the right (towards Boca Chica) and you'll find many places to turn around back to the airport.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Is the Sabanetta to Moca road in bad shape after the rains? You can save alot of traffic in POP and STI by going the back way to Santago airport and getting the Autopiste there.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Why go that way? Take the new Hwy at Nagua. Lets you off right at the airport, and you miss all the SD traffic.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The Sabaneta - Moca road had quite a lot of good repairs in time for the election and I can't believe it will have deteriorated that much in the recent rains. However, I would also think the north coast road to Nagua and then the new Highway direct to the airport would be quicker.

pinyon

Jan 17, 2012
I was on the Sabeneta Moca road last Wed. and it was fine. My husband drove it Monday and it was still fine. Hope that helps.

beekaynz

Aug 12, 2011
I always go from Sosua to Nagua then take new Samana highway south to Santo Domingo airport. Takes me about 3 hours every time.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
The samana highway is better. 3hours door to door without speeding. You cant get lost. take a lot of change (100rd) i remember a few toll booths.

Now if you are driving in the dark the road from Sosua to nagua is pretty dark. Its easy to not spot the potholes or debris on the road.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It would definitely be a lot less than 5 hours to go from Sosua to Las Americas taking RT.5 through Nagua. From Nagua it is about 18kms until you can access the Santo Domingo/Samana Highway (Rt7). The bad news is that it will cost you about rd350-400 pesos for tolls. The good news is that it is all main highways and very good roads. You won't have to go through Santo Domingo. A much better route.

LTSteve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Tolls are 400 on the autopista - then 30 at the airport.

I've had flooding on the big road but my understanding is that the bad weather is a No Coast issue.
Mid-November, in the big rains then, there was no problem ... Can't speak for now.

Yes, the gas stations take credit cards.

Take 500 for tolls and what ever a fill will be.

Definitely the Nagua way is shorter, easier.... just watch your left turn in Nagua.
Its at the hospital and poorly marked

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

This is your best answer and I agree with it.

Why would anyone suggest going other ways that are not even close I don't know.

Castle has nailed it. Good Job Castle.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No no, my friend......

No cities - except small towns - no SD traffic...... better scenery.

Try it -- you'll like it !!

Sosua - Cabrera = 1 hr
Cabrera to #7 = 1 hr
New Hwy to SDQ = 1hr

I have posted this before...... 55-60mph travel speed for these.
Add 15-20 minutes for standard RD confusion

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
This is your best answer and I agree with it.

Why would anyone suggest going other ways that are not even close I don't know.

Castle has nailed it. Good Job Castle.

Because the highway is much better going the Nagua route, PP to Navarete is the worst stretch of road in the DR, with the worst drivers, plus following all the large trucks up the hill while being stranded in their exhaust....and you miss both the big cities, and the stupid traffic in them.....missing Santo Domingo and the traffic is worth the 400 pesos alone, plus 2hrs less in travel time....nicer drive along the north coast, then through the mountains going south....
I could think of a lot more reasons to suggest this route, but I guess the OP will choose which one he wants to go on...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No no, my friend......

Sosua - Cabrera = 1 hr
Cabrera to #7 = 1 hr
New Hwy to SDQ = 1hr

To reinforce the idea....

Just 3 roads

#5, the coast road
#7 , the toll road
Las Americas Hwy to SDQ

It's that 'brainless' part that fits my profile..
I have the luxury of drinking a beer, b/c I CANNOT get lost

BTW, roadside food at the toll road entrance across from the ISLA

We're prolly wasting our time.

The OP took the original advice to go STI - SD - SDQ ......... and has left already to try to get there on time.

BTW.... show me how to get thru SD in 40 minutes...... that is the record as far as I'm concerned
Could be 1hr and 40min on any given day

Last edited:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
No no, my friend......

Sosua - Cabrera = 1 hr
Cabrera to #7 = 1 hr
New Hwy to SDQ = 1hr

I've done ALL the roads several times over and over........... and over for 20 years. I know them all. Depending on a few things such as having MORE time and wanting a less traveled route or not to worry about the road that is not anymore not to mention the potholes etc..... Castle has it nailed.

OH. AND the RD confussion with no signs is a little thing to consider. Took YEARS to find one correct turn.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Yes, but when was the last time you drove PP to Naverette. I have also driven the roads many times, but would never choose that route through Sosua-PP-Santiago-SD. Way easier and nicer to go Sosua-Sabaneta-Moca-La Vega-SD, and a lot faster, and better road conditions, you may also go Sosua-Gasper Hernandez-Tenares-San Fransisco- SD, but the road between GH and Tenares has a couple of issues on the Tenares side.
But by far the best road conditions and easiest way is Sosua-Nagua-SD.
By the way I have travelled these routes in the last 6 months, ALL of them, and the only other thing to watch out for is the speed traps on the toll road.
Castle definetly has the times nailed though

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
The OP took the original advice to go STI - SD - SDQ ......... and has left already to try to get there on time.

BTW.... show me how to get thru SD in 40 minutes...... that is the record as far as I'm concerned
Could be 1hr and 40min on any given day

I was just trying to help the OP who had already stated that it was the route he wanted to use. I think everybody gave their point of view previously, and the OP insisted. We wouldn't be helping if we conditioned our help to the fact that things should be done our way, don't you think?.
And as far as going through SD in 40 mins, I think it's doable. Elevated ways and tunnels have made it easier to go across the city in much less time than in the past. Sometimes for work reasons I have to go from Naco to San Isidro and it takes me about 30 minutes, most of them are spent trying to get to Av Kennedy or 27 de Febrero. After I'm on any of those, it moves much faster. Of course, this would impossible at rush hour, but I guess the OP can plan around that.