installing internet service

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi, I'll be moving to my new house next week. I'll need internet and I think I'll go for Claro.
Obvioulsy I'll have to go to POP to activate it. Not possible in Sosua.
But what's the procedure? Will I get a "Claro guy" who will come to my house and install the modem and check the functionnalities...

:)

Jan 22, 2010
yes a technician will do everything but be patient they usually don't come rightaway.... and when you order it in the big office in Puerto Plata be prepared to wait an hour or two also

T.E.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
When I order internet service, they handed me a modem, free at that time. I installed the modem after they installed the phone line. Had to pay for a phone as well. There is a phone number in Santa Domingo for trouble shooting phone issues and they speak very good English.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In Cabrera, the local Claro dealer came to the house and installed an antenna to connect to the modem he brought.
Contract for 18 months....

I have no land line... just airwaves - radio signal, whatever.
The landline is better, I gather but I'm off the main road too far

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
ok then I guess I can just apply for internet without phone line which I dont want?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, they will give you a small dish receiver to mount on your roof or elsewhere

The wire runs to your modem and Voila... you have wireless.
Sorry, I don't recall the monthly fee

This is totally independent of Claro TV and telephone

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Where should I go to POP to activate the stuff, cause they wont do it in Sosua...

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Im in Santiago and went with Wind. Took the internet unit home, put it on the window sill and instant internet. The phone plugs into the same unit and the techs came out 2 days later and installed the rooftop antena for the television service. Internet unlimited ( not the fastest but good enough for me) phone and recievers for 2 TVs about 1900 pesos monthly plus installation