IKEA shopping experience

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
We stopped at the IKEA in Plaza San Juan, Bavaro. They don't really make it clear that it is just a " punto de entrega " - a delivery depot. We picked out a small lamp and clock. The guy at the desk said they would be happy to sell us the 2 items - but only if we purchased a minimum of $2000 RD. I know that's not a lot of money, especially if you were ordering a whole kitchen, for example. But the guy was adamant that he would not sell us just the 2 items we were interested in ( we wanted the lamp to match one we had purchased in the US , and the clock was just such a good deal ). And we were on our way back to the North Coast, so weren't going to hang around for a couple of days to await delivery of such small items. S00000OOOO -- no sale. $1000 RD versus $0 RD. Nope. And just to be clear - it wasn't like he was worried about inventory depletion - he would have gladly sold us EVERY lamp and EVERY clock in the store, as long as it was over $2000RD. Another example, I think, of Dominican business logic.

Dec 26, 2011
Had a similar experience in July at that store. But I think it was a $4000 RD minimum at that time. The policy makes no sense. Our travels took us by the SD store anyway so we got what we wanted but they're surely missing out on some sales due to that minimum.

As I reread your story I'm confused. Wouldn't he sell you the items you wanted from the Plaza San Juan store or was the minimum relating to items coming in from the SD store?

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Had a similar experience in July at that store. But I think it was a $4000 RD minimum at that time. The policy makes no sense. Our travels took us by the SD store anyway so we got what we wanted but they're surely missing out on some sales due to that minimum.

As I reread your story I'm confused. Wouldn't he sell you the items you wanted from the Plaza San Juan store or was the minimum relating to items coming in from the SD store?

Nope - the $2000RD minimum was to purchase merchandise from the store. 2 lamps and 2 clocks - right from the store - no problem. There was no discussion on minimum order coming from SD.

Dec 26, 2011
Nope - the $2000RD minimum was to purchase merchandise from the store. 2 lamps and 2 clocks - right from the store - no problem. There was no discussion on minimum order coming from SD.

What? So you're saying he told you he wouldn't let you walk out the store that day with in-stock items, in bags, in the amount of $1999RD or less?

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
Last I heard IKEA is a Scandinavian corp. and their website clearly states
it is a "punto de entrega" not a store/ "No Shopping Here" sir.
So this guy should be commended cause he did as the company says!

Dec 26, 2011

LOL

Not exactly the case. They have hangers and dinner plates and blankets and other items on sale in the back that you can purchase there. The minimum that was explained to me was for having items shipped from the SD store. Not for purchasing merchandise for sale in-store.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
What? So you're saying he told you he wouldn't let you walk out the store that day with in-stock items, in bags, in the amount of $1999RD or less?

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying.

And as for "it is a 'punto de entrega' not a store/ "No Shopping Here" sir. " why would they have at least 5 or 6 identical items in-store or on premises - if they were NOT for sale ?

Just Another Day in Paradise :p

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's EXACTLY what I'm saying.

And as for "it is a 'punto de entrega' not a store/ "No Shopping Here" sir. " why would they have at least 5 or 6 identical items in-store or on premises - if they were NOT for sale ?

Just Another Day in Paradise :p

Because they were waiting for people to order them along with other items to reach the minimum so they could actually purchase them? Others had actually purchased them and they were just there until the new owners came to get them? There may be other options for such behaviour.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

This. That's Ikea's business model, and has nothing to do with dominicans. It might seem stupid to us, but somehow I don't feel inclined to question Ikea's ways, as they've been succesful so far...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This. That's Ikea's business model, and has nothing to do with dominicans. It might seem stupid to us, but somehow I don't feel inclined to question Ikea's ways, as they've been succesful so far...

Odd indeed. But then I don't shop there to understand why it works so well.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Next time,if there IS a next time, order 2,000 pesos worth of meatballs, see if he gets that!

Dominicans can "Phuck Up", a "Wet Dream"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Next time,if there IS a next time, order 2,000 pesos worth of meatballs, see if he gets that!

True, but it seems to be the Swedish Meat Heads" this time doing the odd thing.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
We stopped at the IKEA in Plaza San Juan, Bavaro. They don't really make it clear that it is just a " punto de entrega " - a delivery depot. We picked out a small lamp and clock. The guy at the desk said they would be happy to sell us the 2 items - but only if we purchased a minimum of $2000 RD. I know that's not a lot of money, especially if you were ordering a whole kitchen, for example. But the guy was adamant that he would not sell us just the 2 items we were interested in ( we wanted the lamp to match one we had purchased in the US , and the clock was just such a good deal ). And we were on our way back to the North Coast, so weren't going to hang around for a couple of days to await delivery of such small items. S00000OOOO -- no sale. $1000 RD versus $0 RD. Nope. And just to be clear - it wasn't like he was worried about inventory depletion - he would have gladly sold us EVERY lamp and EVERY clock in the store, as long as it was over $2000RD. Another example, I think, of Dominican business logic.

I have purchased at that Ikea before. All the items in the store are for display and everything comes from Santo Domingo but, with a 2000 rd minimum for delivery purposes. if you wanted to purchase something right off the shelf Im guessing they would be shipping a new "display" from santo domingo to replace it. I ordered some drapes that just came to the minimum anyway:cool:, so it saved me a trip to Santo Domingo. It has nothing to do with making you spend 2000 in the store to make a purchase.

Dec 26, 2011

Sadly, no meatballs or lingonberry jam at the Plaza San Juan store.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Many of the IKEA stores are franchised. Not sure about the D.R. store in S.D. and its satellite sales centers. I've bought a few things from the location in Plaza San Juan, (both the original up stairs, and the new stand alone building), with pretty good service each time. Last time I was there, the only thing for sale "cash and carry" were dishes or something like that... looked like a pallet of them on display. My only issue was that one of the lighting fixtures was slightly beat up, (likely from being shipped from S.D.). Otherwise... it was fine. I bought more than 2k worth of stuff... there was no option to buy the displays.