Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default IKEA shopping experience

We stopped at the IKEA in Plaza San Juan, Bavaro. They don't really make it clear that it is just a " punto de entrega " - a delivery depot. We picked out a small lamp and clock. The guy at the desk said they would be happy to sell us the 2 items - but only if we purchased a minimum of $2000 RD. I know that's not a lot of money, especially if you were ordering a whole kitchen, for example. But the guy was adamant that he would not sell us just the 2 items we were interested in ( we wanted the lamp to match one we had purchased in the US , and the clock was just such a good deal ). And we were on our way back to the North Coast, so weren't going to hang around for a couple of days to await delivery of such small items. S00000OOOO -- no sale. $1000 RD versus $0 RD. Nope. And just to be clear - it wasn't like he was worried about inventory depletion - he would have gladly sold us EVERY lamp and EVERY clock in the store, as long as it was over $2000RD. Another example, I think, of Dominican business logic.

2. Likes pollogringo, waytogo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

And Dominican customer service.

4. Likes pollogringo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a similar experience in July at that store. But I think it was a $4000 RD minimum at that time. The policy makes no sense. Our travels took us by the SD store anyway so we got what we wanted but they're surely missing out on some sales due to that minimum.

As I reread your story I'm confused. Wouldn't he sell you the items you wanted from the Plaza San Juan store or was the minimum relating to items coming in from the SD store?

6. Likes bri777 liked this post
    Dislikes bri777 disliked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

oops
    sorry
    accident

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pollogringo View Post
    Had a similar experience in July at that store. But I think it was a $4000 RD minimum at that time. The policy makes no sense. Our travels took us by the SD store anyway so we got what we wanted but they're surely missing out on some sales due to that minimum.

As I reread your story I'm confused. Wouldn't he sell you the items you wanted from the Plaza San Juan store or was the minimum relating to items coming in from the SD store?
    Nope - the $2000RD minimum was to purchase merchandise from the store. 2 lamps and 2 clocks - right from the store - no problem. There was no discussion on minimum order coming from SD.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spicedwine View Post
    Nope - the $2000RD minimum was to purchase merchandise from the store. 2 lamps and 2 clocks - right from the store - no problem. There was no discussion on minimum order coming from SD.
    What? So you're saying he told you he wouldn't let you walk out the store that day with in-stock items, in bags, in the amount of $1999RD or less?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Last I heard IKEA is a Scandinavian corp. and their website clearly states
    it is a "punto de entrega" not a store/ "No Shopping Here" sir.
    So this guy should be commended cause he did as the company says!

11. Likes kampinge liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GioMed View Post
    Last I heard IKEA is a Scandinavian corp. and their website clearly states
    it is a "punto de entrega" not a store/ "No Shopping Here" sir.
    So this guy should be commended cause he did as the company says!
    LOL

Not exactly the case. They have hangers and dinner plates and blankets and other items on sale in the back that you can purchase there. The minimum that was explained to me was for having items shipped from the SD store. Not for purchasing merchandise for sale in-store.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pollogringo View Post
    What? So you're saying he told you he wouldn't let you walk out the store that day with in-stock items, in bags, in the amount of $1999RD or less?
    That's EXACTLY what I'm saying.

And as for "it is a 'punto de entrega' not a store/ "No Shopping Here" sir. " why would they have at least 5 or 6 identical items in-store or on premises - if they were NOT for sale ?

Just Another Day in Paradise

14. Likes pollogringo, waytogo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spicedwine View Post
    That's EXACTLY what I'm saying.

And as for "it is a 'punto de entrega' not a store/ "No Shopping Here" sir. " why would they have at least 5 or 6 identical items in-store or on premises - if they were NOT for sale ?

Just Another Day in Paradise
    Because they were waiting for people to order them along with other items to reach the minimum so they could actually purchase them? Others had actually purchased them and they were just there until the new owners came to get them? There may be other options for such behaviour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast