Economical and smart.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
While researching the costs involved in setting up home for the first time here in DR I could not find any actual accounts of the true costs in putting a house together. Many threads on costs of living, but not setting up. So I thought I'd bring it up and maybe people could share and get an insight into the true costs to make a comfortable home for the first time, much will depend on age, budget and reasons for moving, but I am youngish, single and spend most of my daylight hours out.
I am on the cheaper end of the scale, I do not like this big clunky traditional furniture which works for me as it is very expensive.
So here goes.

Plaza Lama
32" Tecnomaster TV RD15,000 + wall mounting bracket RD500
Cetron 6 burner Oven/cooker RD11,500
Frigidaire large washing machine RD8,000
Sofa Feux leather 2 piece, 5 seater RD26,000

La Sirena
Trace 1.2K inversor RD13,500
Trace t-215 batteries x 2 RD8,550
Battery cage for 2 RD1,250 ( I have noticed that this set up is not quite enough for the longer periods without electricity, if I sit in the dark with the TV on only then yes it will last, but the fan seems to eat up the charge really quickly. But for the average outage this is enough, I can watch TV, have lights on, fan on, computer on and no issue, big issue with this is I understand this will destroy my batteries quite fast)

Local independent store.
Citron fridge RD13,500
Mattress Queen size RD7,500
Curtain rails RD3000
Curtains RD7000
Huge gas bottle RD4,000
Misc approx RD15,000 Cuttlery, light bulbs, towels, paint etc.

Ikea
Queen size wood and timber bedframe RD9,500
Single bed RD6,000

Side tables x2
mirrors x2
Wall clock
Spare room table + chair RD8.155

Car, Honda RD325000
Motorcycle Yam RD22,000

Home 3bedroomed, 3bathroomed RD12,000 monthly. Initial RD36,000

Services.
'Wind' Cable full package 180 channels (most in Spanish) RD1,044 per month. RD850 installations RD875 deposit.
Electric, still waiting to be connected properly, no deposit or installation costs (no connection or installation as of yet.)
Cell phone, Samsung smart RD3,000 pay as you go
Internet RD500.

Probably missed a few things off, but the fundamentals are there. I would find life uncomfortable without everything on here, from now I can build on luxuries.
I hope this gives someone a hand in understanding what I had no clue of before arriving.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Prices are a little low, but OK FOR A BASIC STANDARD OF LIVING.
tHE "lARGE wASHING mACHINE", IS NOT WHAT aMERICANS WOULD CALL A WASHING Machine. We want huge machines that wash, then rinse then spin dry about 20 pounds of clothes, not those little plastic things."Mini ME" washer works for a single like you, or a couple.
A Real Frigidaire washer will cost 16,000 pesos.
That house is either tiny, in a bad area, or BOTH!
My only advice is "Lose The "YAM", so we won't lose YOU!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i second crissss on washing machine. 8k pesos will end costing you a lot more in time spent on washing few pieces of clothing in one go, then rinsing, then spinning... spend 15k on something bigger and better.
i notice you did not include a stove?

and for god's sake, forget about side tables. small coffee table and dining table is all you will ever need.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Me too, I think for 8k that is not an automatic washing machine, with cycles and stuff. That's probably more like a DIY washing machine, where you have to start every cycle manually.
12K for a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom seems a little low. I don't know where you are located, but in SD that would probably be in a bad neighborhood.
Also, the TV mounting bracket at 500 seems unreal. Mine cost over 3k 3 years ago and was not even top notch.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Get the mounting brackets off Ebay.
Get a real washing machine.
I avoid IKEA, but that is a matter of personal taste
How many years old is that Honda car?

Very light on the inverter size and amount of batteries unless you can live like Yanadu the famous power pincher of DR1 or you live in an area that almost has 24/7 power.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
washing machine is crazy... as CC said, double the price on that one.

brackets for tv. Bought mine a couple of months ago for 42", and went oversize (there was one from.. to 42", and one from 42" to ..., and I got the bigger one), American brand, for around 1,500rds.

The Yam must be an old one, and the Honda even older.

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hey! my honda costs less than that and is a great little car! :eek:gre:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
hey! my honda costs less than that and is a great little car! :eek:gre:

You yourself described it as the ugliest car ever!!! And the smallest one!!! And the slowest one!!!

Just joking... I assumed the OP was talking about a CRV

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ugly? yes. small? it's kinda like tardis, bigger on the inside. slow? yes.
but it's my prrrrecioussssss....

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
The washing machine is the type I have seen in every Dominican household I have been in, absolutely fine. A real multi cycle deal would have cost me RD35,000 cheapest.

The TV bracket is an odd thing to comment on, but the TV and bracket were on sale, besides doing what it is supposed to I seem to have got a great deal if you paid RD3,000. I found it good to keep my eyes open and wait for specials, saves getting ripped off. RD2,500 is a good saving I think.

My vehicles are fine, smooth, no dings or rust, but again I waited until the right deal came along. Time pays here I find, if you look or are desperate then it will cost.

My place is in a very quiet, very safe (gated and locked up at 11pm till 5am), newly built and very modern style. In 3 months I have not heard of any crime, not one gun shot, but the people that live here are very respectable, a few of the military doctors are my neighbours). Selling prices are between 2.5mil and 3.5mil. It is not Beverly Hills, but it is a working class neighbourhood where people respect each other, there are no issues at all. My budget was RD22,000 and after looking all over the capital I didn't find anywhere as peaceful and nice as this place. In general I found the expensive places very noisy, dirty and busy. I have no traffic as I am off the main roads, the only traffic we get is that of other residents.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't own a washing machine. My mother-in-law's maid washes al our cloths, once a week and does a good job with one of those inexpensive machines. Another lady irons all our pants and shirts for 300 pesos.