Information on Colegio Juan Pablo II in Santiago

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I am looking for some input on the above named school. Good bad pricing etc..... Thanks

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Its kind of small for the students it has. My stepson went there before we moved to a different area of the city.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
those vietnamese are fast! they spam faster than i can report them :)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
A real handicap in this case is that the forum requires 60 seconds btwn reporting posts...

I tried to report them too but eventually gave it up because of this :(

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Juan Pablo II is a huge building - and has very few students. I lived across the street for about 3 years. It was originally built by the brother of ex-regidor Hugo Bautista without much research. He wanted a bilingual school on this side of the city -- except there aren't the resources (read: no teachers of quality who speak english or students whose parents were willing to pay for a second-rate bilingual).
It was then changed to a uni-lingual school with a strong english program (one hour a day for all students). I passed through one day just to see what was up - the psychologist couldn't tell me what methods they used for teaching (she kept pointing me at the books they used. I told her books aren't methods, they are resources), she insulted americans like six times (american teachers are greedy and want to be paid too much, americans need a lot of attention...) and when i pointed out all of the grammatical errors on their fliers/brochures she told me "you know gringos don't speak spanish and it was a gringo who made this." i don't know that she ever suspected me to be a gringa.

all said and done, it's economical (i think about 2,000 pesos a month), the english teacher is a nice guy and his english is ok, and if you live on this side of the city, not a horrible option - however, Colegio Quisqueya, and the Catholic school behind mCdonalds (in las colinas) are both much better options

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Thanks for the info but I think it is all for nothing. I moved in here across from the school. Quiet place...Second night here the guard watching the house next door was shot in the head,,,he is alive but not good, robbers were caught. Today robbers came through the niebours yard into my yard while I was out with the wife. They put a gun to 14 year olds head and made there way into the house and ransacked the place taking 2 laptops ,cordless phone and 50 bucks in cash. They treatened all the girls in the house 2 month old ,6,14,18,19 and told them that they would be back for me ....americano con dinero. Im not leaving DR but will be off to a controlled apartment complex....I will however lose my deposit on this house. better alive without it than stay and put entire family at risk