Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Importing a 42 inch TV

Hello all;

I know this has been discussed here many times but does anyone have any recent experience bringing in a 42" TV? Some people said they had no problems with 32" but this is a 42" LED and maybe size does matter? (lol).
    Bough this for $ 450.00, have seen the same model in Bavaro for DOP 60,000. Should I keep the receipt, showing the purchase price or would that matter at all?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Your receipt will not make a difference. They have their own lists and taxes that go along with them. Sorry. The 32" TV's were put in suitcases.

3. Likes corsair74 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rendul View Post
    Your receipt will not make a difference. They have their own lists and taxes that go along with them. Sorry. The 32" TV's were put in suitcases.
    Darn...this one is definitely too big for a suitcase...any idea for kind of rates they are working with for 42"?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by every3monthpuntacana View Post
    Darn...this one is definitely too big for a suitcase...any idea for kind of rates they are working with for 42"?
    Tax will be at least what you paid for it, maybe more, might still be worthwhile???
    You may want to consider shipping it through a mundanza, ask Webby or Shalena about this process/costs?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    Tax will be at least what you paid for it, maybe more, might still be worthwhile???
    You may want to consider shipping it through a mundanza, ask Webby or Shalena about this process/costs?
    No, will take it with me; the airline allows packages up to 80 inches total measurment (l + w + h) and charges $ 70.00 for it.
    So far I am still ahead with purchase price + airline cost, just afraid they'll rob me blind at PUJ...

You are saying "at least what I paid for it", so should I take the receipt?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It certainly won't hurt to have your receipt, but they have a book/website with what the DR government believes is the value of each item, probably based on the manufacturers full MSRP, usually about twice what they sell for on sale in the states.

They charge somewhere around 46% of the value in their books.

So in your case that would be 450 x 2 = 900 x 46% = $414 in aduanas

$450+414=$864
    Last edited by DavidZ; 12-07-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by every3monthpuntacana View Post
    You are saying "at least what I paid for it", so should I take the receipt?
    PAY ATTENTION, it does not matter what you paid for it, it could have been FREE, they look up the model in a book and whack you over the head with a tax, get it? It is at least $500, maybe more, I do not know the exact amount, I do not work in Aduana, wait for a more precise answer. It still may be much cheaper to ship it via a mundanza.

9. Likes rendul liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You need the receipt. Otherwise they will go to the values on their books, which I'm sure don't take into account that huge sale price you got that TV for. Of course, having the receipt might not help you as they may not believe it is legit, but not having it will definitely hurt you.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    You need the receipt. Otherwise they will go to the values on their books, which I'm sure don't take into account that huge sale price you got that TV for. Of course, having the receipt might not help you as they may not believe it is legit, but not having it will definitely hurt you.
    It does not matter what your receipt says, the tax number comes out of the book, he paid $400 on sale, they are going to tax him based on the book value of a new one bought locally ~$1500 X 35%. Please stop making things up.

12. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    It does not matter what your receipt says, the tax number comes out of the book, he paid $400 on sale, they are going to tax him based on the book value of a new one bought locally ~$1500 X 35%. Please stop making things up.
    I'm sorry, that has not been the case for me. The few times a receipt has not been present, they went online and checked the price in Amazon or any other similar price, and then charge the taxes based on that price. They've done it right in front of me, at Las Americas airport custom offices...

I don't make things up....BTW

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast