Importing a 42 inch TV

Feb 20, 2011
Hello all;

I know this has been discussed here many times but does anyone have any recent experience bringing in a 42" TV? Some people said they had no problems with 32" but this is a 42" LED and maybe size does matter? (lol).
Bough this for $ 450.00, have seen the same model in Bavaro for DOP 60,000. Should I keep the receipt, showing the purchase price or would that matter at all?

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Your receipt will not make a difference. They have their own lists and taxes that go along with them. Sorry. The 32" TV's were put in suitcases.

Feb 20, 2011
Your receipt will not make a difference. They have their own lists and taxes that go along with them. Sorry. The 32" TV's were put in suitcases.

Darn...this one is definitely too big for a suitcase...any idea for kind of rates they are working with for 42"?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Darn...this one is definitely too big for a suitcase...any idea for kind of rates they are working with for 42"?
Tax will be at least what you paid for it, maybe more, might still be worthwhile???
You may want to consider shipping it through a mundanza, ask Webby or Shalena about this process/costs?

Feb 20, 2011
Tax will be at least what you paid for it, maybe more, might still be worthwhile???
You may want to consider shipping it through a mundanza, ask Webby or Shalena about this process/costs?

No, will take it with me; the airline allows packages up to 80 inches total measurment (l + w + h) and charges $ 70.00 for it.
So far I am still ahead with purchase price + airline cost, just afraid they'll rob me blind at PUJ...:bandit:

You are saying "at least what I paid for it", so should I take the receipt?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
It certainly won't hurt to have your receipt, but they have a book/website with what the DR government believes is the value of each item, probably based on the manufacturers full MSRP, usually about twice what they sell for on sale in the states.

They charge somewhere around 46% of the value in their books.

So in your case that would be 450 x 2 = 900 x 46% = $414 in aduanas

$450+414=$864

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You are saying "at least what I paid for it", so should I take the receipt?

PAY ATTENTION, it does not matter what you paid for it, it could have been FREE, they look up the model in a book and whack you over the head with a tax, get it? It is at least $500, maybe more, I do not know the exact amount, I do not work in Aduana, wait for a more precise answer. It still may be much cheaper to ship it via a mundanza.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
You need the receipt. Otherwise they will go to the values on their books, which I'm sure don't take into account that huge sale price you got that TV for. Of course, having the receipt might not help you as they may not believe it is legit, but not having it will definitely hurt you.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You need the receipt. Otherwise they will go to the values on their books, which I'm sure don't take into account that huge sale price you got that TV for. Of course, having the receipt might not help you as they may not believe it is legit, but not having it will definitely hurt you.

It does not matter what your receipt says, the tax number comes out of the book, he paid $400 on sale, they are going to tax him based on the book value of a new one bought locally ~$1500 X 35%. Please stop making things up.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It does not matter what your receipt says, the tax number comes out of the book, he paid $400 on sale, they are going to tax him based on the book value of a new one bought locally ~$1500 X 35%. Please stop making things up.

I'm sorry, that has not been the case for me. The few times a receipt has not been present, they went online and checked the price in Amazon or any other similar price, and then charge the taxes based on that price. They've done it right in front of me, at Las Americas airport custom offices...

I don't make things up....BTW

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Hello all;

I know this has been discussed here many times but does anyone have any recent experience bringing in a 42" TV? Some people said they had no problems with 32" but this is a 42" LED and maybe size does matter? (lol).
Bough this for $ 450.00, have seen the same model in Bavaro for DOP 60,000. Should I keep the receipt, showing the purchase price or would that matter at all?

Why the hazzle? Yes, Electronics are more expensive here, but I am sure you can find a 42 inch. screen on special cheaper than 60 000. Guarantee, transport, mess with aduana etc etc. Is it really worth saving a few hundred bucks? I say no

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Wholeheartedly agree with you but if the OP wishes to import via Vimenpaq then the amazon invoice will be subjected to a 53% tax.

Why the hazzle? Yes, Electronics are more expensive here, but I am sure you can find a 42 inch. screen on special cheaper than 60 000. Guarantee, transport, mess with aduana etc etc. Is it really worth saving a few hundred bucks? I say no

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Electo-Lama ( Old Plaza Lama), Santiago- LG 42" LED TV 39,995 RD$ yesterday ! LCD 42" 29,995 RD$!!! Dont know the model Nos.

HTH

Olly and the Team (Santiago Division)

Apr 13, 2011
Also - double check with your airline about allowing boxes. At times, they do not allow any boxes on the flights to the DR, even for an extra fee, because so many people have extra luggage and they have no room - and I think Christmas time is one of those times of year. So - double check that your airline will allow you to even take a box at this time of year on the flight.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Electo-Lama ( Old Plaza Lama), Santiago- LG 42" LED TV 39,995 RD$ yesterday ! LCD 42" 29,995 RD$!!! Dont know the model Nos.

HTH

There you go. Sell your TV on craigslist and buy one down here...

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks All;

Based on the various opinions here, I am looking at around $ 500 maximum which still would still leave me $ 500 ahead.
Will take the receipt just in case, if it is of advantage great, if not it won't hurt.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
this week I seen a 32" for 14,000 peso and a 42" for 25,000.00.

As far as going through the airport, you decide, right now there is the exemption for incoming Dominicans whom have been abroad and although tecniclly it dows not apply to EVERYONE, I have always carried big packages through this time of the year and it is always just a smile and a bienvenido!

On the other hand regarding if you do deal with aduana, yes they have a book value to apply to fix the tax, which is still by the way 20% + 16%, but if you do have a receipt for less than their book says, and they believe it is legitamate receipt, not forged with a lower value, they will accept it, even better, say you paid with a CC and have the statement, it is one better in your favor.

But hey a 42" for RD$25,000, last year just after x-mas we paid RD$37,000.00 thenand then it was a good price comparativly.

g'luck

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

HTH

This is probably the model LG 42LS3400 LED TV. Only guessing as I purchased this TV last month from Plaza Lama in Santo Domingo and paid just under $RD 40,000.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Also - double check with your airline about allowing boxes. At times, they do not allow any boxes on the flights to the DR, even for an extra fee, because so many people have extra luggage and they have no room - and I think Christmas time is one of those times of year. So - double check that your airline will allow you to even take a box at this time of year on the flight.

To the OP, yes indeed double check with the airline..................