Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Registering current prices

A little bit late, but starting today I am going to keep track of the prices of everything I buy the rest of te month. In January the new itbis kicks in and I wonder if the raise in prices will be just 2% to account for the raise in itbis or if the Dominican retail sector is going to take advantage of the widespread feeling that from January on things will be 'duro' and raise prices more.

If anyone wants to join we could develop a little database of prices before 1-1-2013 and after.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll do the same on my phone, track everything I buy.. I've switched to only about 10% imported products now so my spending is going way down.. higher quality and lower prices buying criollo as far as food goes at least.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

writing things down dows not work for me, in a way. say, i like coffee monte real. i will keep on buying it over other coffees, even if it was more expensive. it is the same with imported goodies which in our case make also about 10 to 15% of all shopping. i like imported mozzarella over local produce but local ham over imported. i will keep on buying what i like rather than what is cheap unless the prices go silly high.

but nearly all cleaning stuff we use is imported: soap, toothpaste, washing powder and so on. there is no other option, really....

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

My reason to keep track of prices is not so much to find out which products are cheaper but which supermarket chain or other store or importer is abusing the sentiment of everything will be more expensive in January and raise prices more than fair.

Just to be able and say in February: This is what I paid in December and look what they are charging me now.

5. Likes yacht chef, Lothario666 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

My reason to keep track of prices is not so much to find out which products are cheaper but which supermarket chain or other store or importer is abusing the sentiment of everything will be more expensive in January and raise prices more than fair.

Just to be able and say in February: This is what I paid in December and look what they are charging me now.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post

You will not be able to tell anything about a particular business from your data. Supermarket prices, for example, very likely to increase more than 2% because they also must figure in their pricing the additional cost charged by the middlemen. For example, the truckers that bring their products will increase their price, as will the wholesalers they buy from. Just looking to see if a supermarket or other business increases its prices by 2% is too simplistic to tell you anything.

If all the people who handle products before they get to their seller raise their prices by 2% or more, then there is no way the seller can survive by raising prices only 2%

It is almost certain that there will be abuse in the chain, even if not by the ultimate seller. To blame the ultimate seller for the abuse of others in the chain is obviously unfair.

8. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Ken must owne Jumbo . But I see his point . For shour some well abuse it more then other's.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post

Sadly, you can be rest assured that the markets will take advantage of this and increase beyond the tax increase.

I and many others have already noticed price increases as they also see that they can slip this strategy in early and most will just blame it on the gubmint.
    And thirdly when your suspicions are proven by your analysis, you will clearly see that they are ripping off the people which at the end of the day apart from disclosing it on DR1, it wont matter to anyone! Scams and price gouging in the retail sector is acceptable here.
    Dont get me wrong your info will be interesting!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    You will not be able to tell anything about a particular business from your data. Supermarket prices, for example, very likely to increase more than 2% because they also must figure in their pricing the additional cost charged by the middlemen. For example, the truckers that bring their products will increase their price, as will the wholesalers they buy from. Just looking to see if a supermarket or other business increases its prices by 2% is too simplistic to tell you anything.

If all the people who handle products before they get to their seller raise their prices by 2% or more, then there is no way the seller can survive by raising prices only 2%

It is almost certain that there will be abuse in the chain, even if not by the ultimate seller. To blame the ultimate seller for the abuse of others in the chain is obviously unfair.
    Basically the middlemen don't have that's much chance to adjust pricing. Basically it's a raise in itbis that affects the consumer basket. The cost of the supermarket chain or any store is without itbis, ofcourse they pay it but also deduce it from their own itbis declaration to the DGII. The price of goods should raise a 2 percent for the itbis raise and maybe another 2% for higher overhead due to other taxes imposed on telecommunications and fuel, but we are going to see 10% raises I'm afraid. And yes, the last half year prices have gone up like crazy, more than justifies the more expensive dollar.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Bella Vista Mall Nacional Supermarket - Last week they were selling one brown muffin for 29pesos. Yesterday it was going for 39pesos im waiting to see the new january price for the piece

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast