Registering current prices

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A little bit late, but starting today I am going to keep track of the prices of everything I buy the rest of te month. In January the new itbis kicks in and I wonder if the raise in prices will be just 2% to account for the raise in itbis or if the Dominican retail sector is going to take advantage of the widespread feeling that from January on things will be 'duro' and raise prices more.

If anyone wants to join we could develop a little database of prices before 1-1-2013 and after.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I'll do the same on my phone, track everything I buy.. I've switched to only about 10% imported products now so my spending is going way down.. higher quality and lower prices buying criollo as far as food goes at least.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
writing things down dows not work for me, in a way. say, i like coffee monte real. i will keep on buying it over other coffees, even if it was more expensive. it is the same with imported goodies which in our case make also about 10 to 15% of all shopping. i like imported mozzarella over local produce but local ham over imported. i will keep on buying what i like rather than what is cheap unless the prices go silly high.

but nearly all cleaning stuff we use is imported: soap, toothpaste, washing powder and so on. there is no other option, really....

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My reason to keep track of prices is not so much to find out which products are cheaper but which supermarket chain or other store or importer is abusing the sentiment of everything will be more expensive in January and raise prices more than fair.

Just to be able and say in February: This is what I paid in December and look what they are charging me now.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My reason to keep track of prices is not so much to find out which products are cheaper but which supermarket chain or other store or importer is abusing the sentiment of everything will be more expensive in January and raise prices more than fair.

Just to be able and say in February: This is what I paid in December and look what they are charging me now.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

You will not be able to tell anything about a particular business from your data. Supermarket prices, for example, very likely to increase more than 2% because they also must figure in their pricing the additional cost charged by the middlemen. For example, the truckers that bring their products will increase their price, as will the wholesalers they buy from. Just looking to see if a supermarket or other business increases its prices by 2% is too simplistic to tell you anything.

If all the people who handle products before they get to their seller raise their prices by 2% or more, then there is no way the seller can survive by raising prices only 2%

It is almost certain that there will be abuse in the chain, even if not by the ultimate seller. To blame the ultimate seller for the abuse of others in the chain is obviously unfair.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Ken must owne Jumbo . But I see his point . For shour some well abuse it more then other's.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

Sadly, you can be rest assured that the markets will take advantage of this and increase beyond the tax increase.

I and many others have already noticed price increases as they also see that they can slip this strategy in early and most will just blame it on the gubmint.
And thirdly when your suspicions are proven by your analysis, you will clearly see that they are ripping off the people which at the end of the day apart from disclosing it on DR1, it wont matter to anyone! Scams and price gouging in the retail sector is acceptable here.
Dont get me wrong your info will be interesting!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You will not be able to tell anything about a particular business from your data. Supermarket prices, for example, very likely to increase more than 2% because they also must figure in their pricing the additional cost charged by the middlemen. For example, the truckers that bring their products will increase their price, as will the wholesalers they buy from. Just looking to see if a supermarket or other business increases its prices by 2% is too simplistic to tell you anything.

If all the people who handle products before they get to their seller raise their prices by 2% or more, then there is no way the seller can survive by raising prices only 2%

It is almost certain that there will be abuse in the chain, even if not by the ultimate seller. To blame the ultimate seller for the abuse of others in the chain is obviously unfair.

Basically the middlemen don't have that's much chance to adjust pricing. Basically it's a raise in itbis that affects the consumer basket. The cost of the supermarket chain or any store is without itbis, ofcourse they pay it but also deduce it from their own itbis declaration to the DGII. The price of goods should raise a 2 percent for the itbis raise and maybe another 2% for higher overhead due to other taxes imposed on telecommunications and fuel, but we are going to see 10% raises I'm afraid. And yes, the last half year prices have gone up like crazy, more than justifies the more expensive dollar.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Bella Vista Mall Nacional Supermarket - Last week they were selling one brown muffin for 29pesos. Yesterday it was going for 39pesos im waiting to see the new january price for the piece

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Basically the middlemen don't have that's much chance to adjust pricing. Basically it's a raise in itbis that affects the consumer basket. The cost of the supermarket chain or any store is without itbis, ofcourse they pay it but also deduce it from their own itbis declaration to the DGII. The price of goods should raise a 2 percent for the itbis raise and maybe another 2% for higher overhead due to other taxes imposed on telecommunications and fuel, but we are going to see 10% raises I'm afraid. And yes, the last half year prices have gone up like crazy, more than justifies the more expensive dollar.

I've been living in the DR since 1985 and have seen many things done by the government, or by the rising price of fuel, etc, that resulted in everybody raising their prices whether affected by the change or not. When you have a situation where some are justified in raising prices, it seems that most make the most of the situation. They figure there little increase won't be noticed or make much difference, but when you add those little increases by each entity in the chain, it amounts to quite a bit.

Just the discussion of an impending increase seems to be enough to justify an increase. Then, of course, when the increase takes effect, another increase is called for because of the increase.

The people who really suffer here are not the foreign expats but the Dominicans.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I've been living in the DR since 1985 and have seen many things done by the government, or by the rising price of fuel, etc, that resulted in everybody raising their prices whether affected by the change or not. When you have a situation where some are justified in raising prices, it seems that most make the most of the situation. They figure there little increase won't be noticed or make much difference, but when you add those little increases by each entity in the chain, it amounts to quite a bit.

I agree, that's why I want to keep track. That everyone in the chain benefits is in my opinion while the chain as a whole works together to take advantage of the end consumer.

beachbear

Nov 30, 2012
prices are going to increase and not just because of the tax increase, food especially is rising in all parts of the globe and stores are going to try get every peso they can

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As an example... the summer drought in the US will or already has affected retail pricing due to the shortage of produce.

It will be very difficult to ascertain 'why' a price went up...
you cannot assume that every peso increase is attributable to the tax raise

This will be an interesting excersise but not a definitive one

Just a shopping tool... not an economic barometer

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Paid 12 pesos per lb for papaya, 10 pesos each for very large avocados ( the oval type) at the our favorite fruiters here in Jarabacoa.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sure but except from alcohol, cigarettes...

nearly everything, really. both products and services.

and mauricio, please. it's almost like you expect errede to be logical :)
the prices will go up by as much as the seller wants to raise them. no relation to taxes at all.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I paid 60 pesos for a CAN of presidente to make beer can chicken.. that's like 1.50 jesus..