Mold Remediation Cautions

AlexJohns

Banned
Dec 7, 2012
Hello all,

While mold remediation is an excellent recourse for those unable to pay for traditional mold remediation, a few issues should be addressed. While the heat should kill the mold, it is imperative that the company also clean the mold spores from the wall. While mold growth will be stopped when spores die, dead mold can still aggravate allergies and other problems.

When remediating mold in crawl spaces, make sure the crawl space maintains a negative pressure from the remainder of the house. Adding hot air to a crawl space adds pressure and can cause infiltration of dust and other allergens into the main area of the house. Make sure the company doing the heat remediation is aware of pressure issues and addresses them.

Thanks a lot
Alex Johns

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Cloro, Cloro and more Cloro.............. I wish my novia (maid ) would air the god dam house out every day. Her custom built closet will put you in respiratory failure. She and the help clean everything every day but that effing closet requires 2 Benadryl before entering.

Also do a google earth and check out all the roofs in the DR. Originally painted white but now black with spots of green growth. There were pictures posted on this site years back fom a helicopter flight over Sosua. The pictures were great but showed how nasty the roofs were.

And on the same note when roofs leak and water gets in the walls or buildings are not painted properly and the walls contain mold you got yourself a sick house. I have always preached the dangers of mold to all Dominicans that invite me to stay in their homes. Some are educated but most do not know that sleeping on a moldy sofa is the reason for their constant la gripe symptons.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
our house seems mould free but not the wardrobes... i bought those damp bags but cannot think of anything else. and yes, the wardrobes air all the time because we leave them open, closed, open, closed....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hey! thanks! that is quite cheap, small and overall interesting.
i think we may buy one just to see!

can someone explain to me how this thing works? will it get rid of the mould completely? how long before wardrobes are nice and fresh again?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
from amazon: (btw. it is not me selling them ;))

Product Description
This high capacity renewable dehumidifier has been designed to adsorb moisture from small, enclosed areas. It will help protect clothes and valuables from the damaging effects of mold/mildew and moisture rot. It is 100% renewable and needs no power to operate. Just hang the Eva-dry unit in a closet, or you can place it in other small, enclosed spaces, and it will start to adsorb moisture. There are no batteries required or cords to plug in, the unit works without power. There is an indicator window with special "moisture meter crystals" that change from blue (when dry) to pink (when wet) to indicate when the unit needs to be "renewed". The unit will adsorb approximately 8-10 ounces of moisture (depending on humidity levels this should take between 6 - 8 weeks). Once the moisture has been adsorbed it cannot leak or spill. This unit uses a specialized, engineered, crystallized silica gel that is odorless, non-toxic and completely safe. When the indicator crystals turn pink it is time to "re-new" the unit. Simply remove the unit from where it is adsorbing moisture and plug it into a power outlet or power strip in a well ventilated area (bathroom with extraction fan, garage, outside, etc.). There is a built-in heater that will warm the crystals allowing them to expand and release the moisture as water vapor into the outside air. It takes about 12-14 hours to completely re-new the unit. When it is completely renewed the indicator crystals will change back to blue. The unit is brand new again and ready to adsorb another 8-10 ounces of moisture.The crystals will remain active for 10 years and we offer a 5 year limited manufactures warranty on all EDV500 units.

AlexJohns

Banned
Dec 7, 2012
Hello all,

Nice to meet you again.
Have you ever looked into your closet or wardrobe, and said to yourself, "How drab!"? There is a way to keep your clothes updated and funky without spending so much money!

1.Sort through your clothes. While you reinvent your clothes, you may just as well clean up a bit. Throw everything that doesn't fit you into a bag and set it aside to donate to your local charity.
2.Look at what you have. Sort everything into neat piles of skirts, shirts, pants, etc. Look at each pile separately.
3.Take old skirts that are long and cut them carefully with a scissor to make a shorter skirt for the summer. If you want to be creative, you can even add decals or fringe to make a skirt look special. Do this for each pile of clothes.
4.Go shopping! Visit some retail stores or bargain stores, and find some new clothes to add to your wardrobe. Spend as little as possible. Buy some new shirts, skirts, pants, etc.
5.Try getting things altered or tailored. Fit can make clothes look a lot better.
6.Look at your shoes. If need be, sew sequins and rhinestones into a spare pair of flip flops for the summer to give it a pretty look.
7.Enjoy a clean and new, funky wardrobe.

Thanks and Regards
Alex Johns

May 29, 2006
Heat and crawl spaces?? Not exactly common in the DR... Mold isn't usually a prob either since most surfaces are concrete, though if you don't dry your shoes in wet season, they might go funky on you.

As for couches and matresses, a few hours in bright sunlight will kill most mold. I use toilet bowl cleaner if I see it on window sills, and it lasts longer than regular Cloro.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
this mold remediation was the same as the big asbestos scare. The government blew it out of proportion and small companies jumped in to save everyone and meanwhile make a pretty penny. It was blown way out of proportion then the undereducated people all had a cow and wanted to sue. it is insane. Then after that it was formaldehyde and the katrina trailers. clean your house you won't have mold

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
hey! thanks! that is quite cheap, small and overall interesting.
i think we may buy one just to see!

can someone explain to me how this thing works? will it get rid of the mould completely? how long before wardrobes are nice and fresh again?

I just put it on my wish list. I'll read the 238 customer reviews on Amazon before I buy it. Customer reviews make or break a product.

I have several Closec packs in my closet. They cost 120 pesos or so in the Supermercado Nacional and refills cost 50 pesos or so. Low tech, cheap and effective.

Closec pulls moisture from the air and it drops into the removable lower half of the container which you empty occasionally. Part of the active ingredient is dissolved in the process and you replace it when it is used up. It works quickly.

Eva-dry crystals absorb the moisture and you renew them as described in post #6.

The Eva-dry unit absorbs the moisture in crystals.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
we could take over the world with mould - americans run a mile from it , ive seen house makeover shows

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We just spent $6000 having our basement treated for mold after Hurricane Sandy. Now running a dehumidifier 24/7.

Pollito, it set off my spidey-sense too ;);)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Oh well
what did we do before they Invented remediation? jajajaja

I think most people just used bleach, or ignored it. Until not long ago, the health risks weren't really known to the general public, many just thought it was "unsightly".