Moving to the Dominican Republic - all possible suggestions

DaniK

Dec 10, 2012
Hello. I am planning on moving to the DR with my family, as soon as possible. To the Puerto Plata area, Bavaro, Sosua, etc. I don't know the place yet. I thought about spending sometime there with my husband, renting a villa. I have some hard time finding places to rent per month (most are per night). So far, I could not find any professional or agency specialized in receptiojn and relocation for foreigners. Do they exist? For the people who moved to the DR, what would be the impression? Tips? We don't need to find jobs there, we will keep the same work online, remotely. Is the cost of life there as low as in Santo Domingo (from what I've read)? What about the people? Safety? Clinics? Supermarket? Everything

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hon, just start one thread, maybe best in the living forum so that more people can see it and come with some suggestions?
(moderators, can you fix it, maybe?)

cost of living is discussed in lots of details here: http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/112283-living-costs-dominican-republic.html

i'd say that if you need to work online it will be most important for you to find a place with good internet and uninterrupted power. well, the power part is almost impossible to achieve :) and there are more power problems coming so make sure you rent a place with backup power. as far as the internet - location will be important here. in some places the choice of a provider (and service) is limited.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Living in Punta Cana / Bavaro I was less than 12 hours without power in the whole year 2012 so far.

I work online and I use all 3 Internet services available (Claro, Tricom, Orange). I will ditch Orange though since it went from super fast to absolute rubbish...

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
hon, just start one thread, maybe best in the living forum so that more people can see it and come with some suggestions?
(moderators, can you fix it, maybe?)

cost of living is discussed in lots of details here: http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/112283-living-costs-dominican-republic.html

i'd say that if you need to work online it will be most important for you to find a place with good internet and uninterrupted power. well, the power part is almost impossible to achieve :) and there are more power problems coming so make sure you rent a place with backup power. as far as the internet - location will be important here. in some places the choice of a provider (and service) is limited.

Purchasing your own backup power is about $400 and will run 2 low consumption laptops, led bulb for 50 hours or more This is probably adequate back up. This gives the desired power independence in places with no backup power. If high bandwidth is desired choose to rent reasonably near a Claro exchange and book a private line with ASDL.

yapask1

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, and never ever listen to anything yapask says. he is certified crazy. we had him tested.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
2 6 v deep cycle batteries store about 2 kwh. Cost 8,000 pesos.
low power inverter $50
battery charger $70
2 extension cables for wire , sockets 150 pesos
channgeover switch in box $30

laptops 8 watts each

asdl aadapter 4 watts

led lightbuulb ,wire, bulb socket 8w - - cost 50$.

total consumption 28 watts.

at 50 hours less than 1.5 kwh

yapask1