quality of eye glasses in DR

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
Maybe i will need second pair of glasses...I heard that here in DR they are a lot cheaper than in Europe. I paid around 250 euros for my glasses, frame+glasses as I have around -6 strong glass and they need to be made thiner with "indexes". I heard that here in DR they can do it 2 times cheaper at least....But how about quality ?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I had glasses done in POP about 8 months ago. Bi-focals and treated for UV and teflon type coating. Scratched beyond belief in 8 months. I don't remember what I paid.

I'm in California now and had an eye exam and needed NEW glasses. Needed them and got them in one day. US375. with new frames. I can email them if I need another pair and have them mailed.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
so,usted advice is that its better to pay more in home country in Europe ? thx.....

I've worn glasses since I was 12 years old. I know how to take care of them. Use the correct cleaning wipe. Glasses lasted for over 10 years. It was not the glasses that wore out when I needed new ones. It was new frames or changes in my vision. I'm 61 now. 8 months of ware is NOT worth it at ANY cheap price. I guess that many will tell me different and that you can get TOP quality for a lot less. So be it.

Just my experience.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are good optomitrists (sp?) here. I used to have a strange combination of astigmatism and near-sightedness. I was able to get them here at fair prices. Optica Cibao here on Av. Metropolitana is quite good and have been in business for over 50 years...

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo buys his frames over the internet because that's cheaper. he has glasses made in DR: POP or santiago. they last maybe 2 years? less sometimes? scratched, cracked, no use. and he takes fairly good care of them too...

i do not wear glasses anymore but when i did i had them done in vision express back home (a chain, also in other european countries): cheap and lasted until i need stronger prescription.

so my advice is: do it elsewhere if you can. if not just but the frames online and had the glasses done here. but get good frames that will last being refitted with new lenses on yearly basis. good frames here cost such silly prices it does not even pay off to visit an optician to see what they have...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
About 2 years ago I had an eye exam done in The States...went to Cohens, For Eyes, and Lenscrafters...all about the same price for similar frame and lenses. I went to Optica Cibao in Los Jardines that HB mentioned and got the same prescription with Transition lightweight lenses for a few dollars less than the three US chains. I don't take the greatest care of my glasses, but they are still in perfect condition and not a scratch on them...

They also sell Maui Jim sunglasses for about the same price as Sunglass Hut in the U.S. and honor the warranty if repairs are necessary (a friend bought a pair and needed the nose piece replaced). They have many other brand name sunglasses (RayBan, Revo, etc.) but I didn't compare prices...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My wife just got a new pair of glasses, we went for an in between option, no fancy brand, no crappy stuff either: about 10,000 pesos, including the glasses, excluding prescription, she did that at an eye doctor.

I went to look for glasses mor myself too, looking for the cheapest around , while planning to have my eyes operated soon, it would cost me 5000 pesos at least.

I think a discount place with nice, modern / stylish glasses, like you have in Europe would do well here (Dutch example: Hans Anders).

cruzan

May 3, 2006
to all you people who responded and to those of you who will respond to this post:

on the north coast......what optometrist do you recommend ????

thanks

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
just a couple of well meant remarks, as an optometrist and optician (in the old days...)...

@Ringo: if you wear bifocals, they can only mail you another pair if you take exactly the same frames, as the height- placement of the lenses is of primary importance, and is different with every frame.

@Mauricio: Hans Anders is a discount optician with lousy lenses, and can sell the frames at a very nice price because they buy overstocks. Do not try them to get a part replaced. Generally speaking the lenses are a hell of a lot more expensive than the frames, so...

@everybody: there is a huge difference in quality of lenses, and as always, you pay for quality. If you can get anyone of the following brands here, you should be fine. In order of price... Hoya, Nikon, Rodenstock, Zeiss. There is another French brand which is very good, but my old brain now fails me... lol

BelgianK

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
@BelgianK, what both my wife and I experienced with our glasses bought in Europe (not Hans Anders) is that after 1 year living here the lenses started losing some layer (probably anti scratch). I wonder if it has to do with the climate...

Dec 26, 2011
I highly recommend considering contact lenses for RD's climate. Started wearing glasses at the age of eight. Been wearing contacts for over a quarter of a century.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've bought 3 pairs of glasses here in the DR, they've lasted on average 5 years no issues. Sure the lenses may have some small scratches but I can't hardly see them and they are no worse than what you get in the States. BTW, they have no coatings.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
BelgianK, the French brand is Essilor.

I worked for Rodenstock for 7 years on the development and training side, so I picked up a few tit bits about lenses etc :)

Most labs in the DR can only do dip coating, anything high end that requires plasma or vacuum based coatings are normally sent to labs in the US. Needless to say, not a lot of high end lenses are being dispensed.

Not all lenses are equal and paying for a decent lens can make a huge difference to wearability.
Then again, good lenses are not much use if they are poorly fitted and the optom does not understand the technology behind the lens.

You're going to pay top dollar for decent lenses in the DR, that's if you can find them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I highly recommend considering contact lenses for RD's climate. Started wearing glasses at the age of eight. Been wearing contacts for over a quarter of a century.

been wearing lenses for about 10 years now. night and day, super comfortable. but those little buggers you have to buy elsewhere. i get mine by bulk whenever i go home. even the contact lenses solution is SO expensive in DR.

however, i would not go over the board with dominican climate here :) i used to live in london (polluted, no?) and never had any problems with my lenses. now whenever i go to SD i need to take solution with me. my lenses get so cloudy! within hours from arrival i need to take them off and clean them. and keep on cleaning them twice a day AT LEAST. and my lenses are night and day! so normally i do not take them off AT ALL for a month! i have no idea what that is. pollution? pollen? smog? but it is a bother!

and btw, glasses in DR? good idea. try glasses in damn cold, man! :) this is why i stopped using them back home. one year my frames froze solid to my eyebrows. :( :)

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
i've been buying from 39dollarglasses.com
for single vision prescription lens with frame you can't beat the $39 price.

my everyday wear is from them... frame, progressive lens, transition lens, scratch resistent was $169. for less than 7000 pesos, i am happy with the product.

i have also bought a single vision pair for $39 and a single vision sunglass from them for slightly more (don't recall additional cost for tint)

oh, and in all 3 cases they shipped to me 24-48 hrs after order.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I am using contacts for 22 years now, but since living here its causing me some problems. That's why I had to use my lasses again of which the lenses had damaged. Back to contacts now, if it gives trouble again I'll buy some cheap glasses until I get operated.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
I've used Optica Cibao (SG: Metropolitano near 27) for 25 years with great results.
Superior technology, Euro frames not always available in the U.S., costs more than reasonable for high class service and materials.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
BelgianK, the French brand is Essilor.

I worked for Rodenstock for 7 years on the development and training side, so I picked up a few tit bits about lenses etc :)

Most labs in the DR can only do dip coating, anything high end that requires plasma or vacuum based coatings are normally sent to labs in the US. Needless to say, not a lot of high end lenses are being dispensed.

Not all lenses are equal and paying for a decent lens can make a huge difference to wearability.
Then again, good lenses are not much use if they are poorly fitted and the optom does not understand the technology behind the lens.

You're going to pay top dollar for decent lenses in the DR, that's if you can find them.

Robert, right on Essilor.

Did you work in the main Rodenstock factory in Germany? If so we may have met, as I went there several times to visit and get some training.

BelgianK