Inverter Question

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
20 (Double Ported so I guess 40 actual outlets) - Pluggable Outlets and I plan on plugging the Below into them except for the 8 Lightbulbs ofcourse.

5 lamps
4 Floor Fans
1 modem
1 router wifi
2 tv lcd 46" and 32"
3 laptops
4 Cell Phones
2 Receivers (DirecTV)
1 Computer monitor 19"
1 Desktop Computer
1 Toaster
1 Microwave

8 - Ceiling/Roof Light Bulbs

Can someone give me an idea of what size inverter can sustain this load. Also we have a small two door fridge not the tiny executive ones but the skinny narrow ones. Would also like to keep this on as well if possible and without making me a pauper.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Floor fans suck up a lot of juice. Things like toasters, irons and microwaves apparently can really screw up your unit. When the juice goes off the struggle is noticed in the use of just one floor an, 4 would be a huge struggle.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Well, you know, the first thing to always pay attention to is that you should always be aware of when there is a blackout, so you stop using anything that is not necessary, as you never know how long it is going to last. Unless, of course, you have a power generator. But assuming you don't, you should trim the list and leave out anything that is not essential, for example, if you have 3 laptops assume you won't be using the desktop during a blackout, or you won't have all lightbulbs on, etc.
An inversor that can support the use of a microwave and a toaster is well above the average both in capacity and price. Most people wire out the oulets these appliances are connected to and simply leave them out of the inverter. Using these appliances with a regular inverter will soon kill your batteries and fry the internal components of your inverter.

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Floor fans suck up a lot of juice. Things like toasters, irons and microwaves apparently can really screw up your unit. When the juice goes off the struggle is noticed in the use of just one floor an, 4 would be a huge struggle.

Wow! Ok I am so lost about all this. So what would you suggest I use to keep cool when the AC goes off? A ceiling fan? I don't need the iron or microwave but what about the fridge?

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
What size do I need to run a fridge and how many batteries? Im going to buy one today and would like to know what size I should look for. A guy I know here said 3.6 and then I heard 5kw, someone said 4 baterries someone said 6. I am clueless about all this. HELP!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I can only tell you how we do things. Outages can last a minute (not often) or a day (not often). But when the lights go you need to prepare for the longer spell, running your batts out completely will ruin them.
To keep cool open all the windows to get a breeze running through the house.
It is best to get your laundry room supply bypassed so they are not connected to the inversor, so if the lecy does go off then there is no chance of a fire because you have the washing machine running, or are ironing, when the lights go then your appliances that will destroy the inversor just die until it returns.
Like I say I know of no one who has a fridge on inversor juice, just don't open the door for long, it will keep cool, your frozen food will thaw a little but not much as long as you are sensible with the door.

It seems now like a pain, but my advice is to live for a month without an inversor, purely for the understanding and appreciation of the invesor when you do get one, my inversor is probably my favourite ever purchase in all my time here. I have never bought anything that is such great value for money.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
What size do I need to run a fridge and how many batteries? Im going to buy one today and would like to know what size I should look for. A guy I know here said 3.6 and then I heard 5kw, someone said 4 baterries someone said 6. I am clueless about all this. HELP!

I used to ran my fridge with 8 batteries, then I switched to 4 batteries and still ran fine, but the batteries died in about 18 months. If you want your batteries to last the time they are intended to (4-5 years) get as many as you can if you're going to run the fridge on the inversor. My inversor was only 2.4, so 3.6 should be enough.
4 or 6 batteries? that depends on the inversor. Some use batteries in pairs, some use them in sets of four. For example some inversores can work with only 2 batteries, but some (as mine) require at least 4 and if I want more batteries I have to jump to 8, can't use 6.
Don't trust the salesmen at stores. When I got my first inversor I was so naive I asked the guy at Trace for something "good enough to make sure I never ran out of power"...and ended up getting 12 batteries to run a 1-bedroom apartment. I didn't need that much, of course, but I only learned that after a few months of people laughing at my DR-noobiness...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have 3.5k inversor with 8 batteries.
it supports the following (plugged at all times):
all the lights
all the computers
modem, IP line
tv/home theater
main gate motor
water pump
fridge
standing fan (in our bedroom, on only at night)
ceiling fans (rarely used)

what it DOES not support (things that are plugged it to street power only outlets):
microwave
toaster/grill
espresso machine
water heater

things i never plug in when on inversor:
iron
hair drier

things i may plug in for a short time:
blender
bread machine on knead cycle (when goes to rise the unit gets unplugged)

the idea it to wire your house well. in our place some sockets work with street power only, the rest work with inversor. you could, of course, just not use stuff when there is no power but good luck with that when you have guests from europe/america. they will never understand that :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We ended up copying what two of Mr. AE's brothers do: 2 inverters, one just for the fridge [we have a big GE], and one for the rest of the house. When we had just one, the fridge killed the batteries too quickly and we ended up with propane lanterns and/or candles at night. Now, if the fridge batteries die [there are 4 with a 3.0 inverter], at least the rest of the house is still lit. If the fridge batteries conk out, we don't open either of the doors to conserve the cold inside, and have never lost anything in either freezer or refrigerator.

We never use the microwave, blender, washer, etc. on the inverter. We do have one tower fan that we use.

We just shipped down 6 Sharp solar panels to help charge the batteries when the electric doesn't stay on long enough to fully charge them. Earlier this year we installed a marine grade windmill to do the same, but that's just a trickle and doesn't help a whole lot.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we live in B circuit. well, in theory. with recent expected power cuts you cannot be sure :)

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
We used to have to slum it on a B circuit also, now on an A circuit - believe me it does make a difference when considering how many batteries you need, & how long they will last!

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Here is a sample

Short answer is to get a 3.6 KW inverter and 8 Trojan T 105 batteries.

Here is a sample which should answer your question, if you plan to store the batteries inside and don't want gases or keep filling the water level every month Gel batteries (Solaris).

The smaller inverters unto 1,5 KW uses 12 V input therefore 2 x 6 V in line and the bigger ones uses 24 V input so you can use 4, 8, 12 batteries and so on, to remember is the more batteries you connect you will have longer time (not more KW) but your inverter will also need longer time to charge all of them.

Time Span Calculation

Watts = Amps * Voltage

( Battery watt * Amount of Batteries ) / 2 <--- use only 50% of batteries
---------------------------------------------------- = Inverter Time
Amp usage * Inversor Voltage input

Sample:
In Storage ( 1350 Watt each Battery * 8 Batteries ) / 2 = 5400 watt
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- = 7.2 hours
Usage (30 Amp usage * 24V Inversor input) = 720 watt

Hope I could help.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We ended up copying what two of Mr. AE's brothers do: 2 inverters, one just for the fridge [we have a big GE], and one for the rest of the house. When we had just one, the fridge killed the batteries too quickly and we ended up with propane lanterns and/or candles at night. Now, if the fridge batteries die [there are 4 with a 3.0 inverter], at least the rest of the house is still lit. If the fridge batteries conk out, we don't open either of the doors to conserve the cold inside, and have never lost anything in either freezer or refrigerator.
We keep 2 1/2g milk jugs filled with water frozen at all times. If the fridge goes out, I'll put them in the fridge section to keep it cold.

AE said:
We never use the microwave, blender,
I will for short bursts.

We also have a 4kw gas generator in an outbuilding hardwired into the inverter system if the power is out long enough to drain the batteries, with a small light that shows when the street power comes on. Works like a charm the handful of times we needed it...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We keep 2 1/2g milk jugs filled with water frozen at all times. If the fridge goes out, I'll put them in the fridge section to keep it cold.

That's actually an excellent idea, homemade ice packs that will last longer than those little rectangular ones.

As an aside...when Hurricane Sandy hit NJ, we had evacuated our island. Electric Company shut off the power on Monday afternoon, and didn't put it back on until Thursday. In our main kitchen we have a new side-by-side refrigerator/freezer that has a built in ice maker with an extraordinary bin that takes up almost half of the door. In the basement kitchen we had another side-by-side, and a full size, upright freezer that was pretty full. All the food in the basement freezer and fridge went into the garbage, all thawed out. The one upstairs with all the ice - well, the ice was actually still in cubes in the bin, just a bit stuck together. All the food was still frozen and usable.

Just shows the power of a lot of ice. The basement freezer only had food, no ice.