citizenship

D

dix

Somebody please tell me if I buy a house on DR.What rights will I
have(like citizenship)?

Thanks.

E

ECH,

Buying a house does not grant you citizenship.....it does not even grant you residency. It does empower you with the right to pay taxes on your property but that is about it.

H

hillbilly

You have the right to remain silent, you have the

right to an attorney.
You have the right to blackouts;

You have the right to spend lots on alternate sources of electricity.

You also have the right to get on very good terms with the local plumber and electrician--you'll need them from time to time.

You have the right to help clean up your neighborhood.

You have the right to fight tooth and nail against the phone company, the water company or the electric company-take your pick, since you'll fight with them all.

You will also have the right to plant your own lemon tree, mango tree and grapefruit tree, as well as acerola and others. You will then acquire the right to raise orchids, bromelias and other exotic flowers you only dream of. You have the right to grow bougainvilla to keep people out, and hibiscus to make people want to come in.

You acquire the right to go to the market in the morning and get really "fresh" veggies. Or, you can make friends with a Marchanta-if they still have them where you will live-ang have this nice lady deliver them to your door every day.

You have the right to become a Jimmy Buffet fan and a Parrot Head. YOu can relax. If it doesn't happen today, well, tomorrow the sun will shine, the breeze will blow and your mama still loves you!

HB

R

rubio

Re: You have the right to remain silent, you have

very nicely done, except the jimmy buffet part

J

jim

Super, and the Jimmy Buffet part adds too the being of Hamburger in Paradise, with a Presidente or three of course.

No power
No water
No trash removal

But, we got Buffet and Beer.
Jim

R

rubio

well i agree, i am not a big buffet head, give me lynyrd skynyrd anyday and a presidente fria!!!

J

jim

you allso have the right to be pissed off at those damn dogs that bark all nightand you allso have the right to be pissed off at the guy in the pickup truck with the loudspeaker coming down your street at 9:00 in the morning selling plantinon,and you have a wicked hangover,but you allso have the right to say the hell with it get your ass up go get a couple presidente's(GRANDE) of course,and do it all over again....jim

H

hillbilly

You reminded me of an old "panadero"

When we were first married, my wife and I lived in a little
"palomar" (a pigeon's roost we called it), above Beller Street in downtown Santiago. We could walk anywhere, and did!

Back then, there were "marchantas", elderly women on burros selling all sorts of produce and articles. Their calls are famous in Santiago history and are preserved on tape at the Historical Archives in Santiago.

there was this little guy, a small fellow, that sold bread, really fresh bread, right from the bakery. He pushed his long cart up the street and gave this call-at 6:00 or 6:30 a.m.- in a tiney yet clear voice: Panaadeero! Paaannaaadeeero! ?Qu? estas haciendo?" Bread maaaan The Breadman! Wha'cha all doin'?

Ahh, sweet joys of youth!!

HB