Bring Things Thru Aduanas Cost? Problems

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
I want to bring back a small TV -flat screen, small enough to fit in my suitcase. I will no doubt have to take it out at JFK for screening...will Aduanas or other try to charge me somehow for this at POP? AND...this is a longshot.. Bringing a small(12 inch or the like) Xmas tree - LIVE - through. Is that a NoGo?

Am I becoming Domincan? - should i try to find a fold up sofa, chairs and a coffeetable too? LOL

Thanks for the $.02 worth

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ha! i would like to see a face of an aduana worker when he sees the tree!

you could buy a small pine-like tree in a vivero here. and then plant it in the garden. reusable christmas tree :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
Are you putting it in a carry on suitcase? Sounds like it. I have brought in many things in a suitcase at all different airports around the country. I have never had a problem. Normally with a small amount of luggage you will have no problem but there is no guarantee. As far as the live small tree I don't think you can bring that in legally. On your customs form it asks if you have any plants with you. I would advise against briinging it.

LTSteve

cruzan

May 3, 2006
I had a friend that brought a 24 inch flat screen in. packed it in his luggage. I think the secret is to just pick up all your luggage and walk through, do not look left or right...walk ....

Steve

Thanks. Yeah I will skip the tree..a Target tinsel tree will suffice. I am going to chance the TV in carry on with me. No box, no nothing.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I had a friend that brought a 24 inch flat screen in. packed it in his luggage. I think the secret is to just pick up all your luggage and walk through, do not look left or right...walk ....

Wouldn't you run the risk of the TV breaking or stolen?

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I brought in 4or 5 flat screen TV's in checked luggage at different times. All were 24 25 inches and fit nicelly out of the box. None of them broke, and I never paid one peso to customs. One time a guy found one and it was face down. I said it was a monitor that I paid 80 dollars for and he waved me through.

Just pack them tight with a lot of clothes or towells around them.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
So did I

I bought a hardshell suitcase just for that purpose,the most hideous thing ever
Samsonite 1990 model
gets me thru everytime
Manu

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
another trick, if you want to be 100% sure, is to take a porter at POP airport. They always walk straight through. You pay him a couple of hundred pesos at the other end, and I heard they spit it with customs...

BelgianK

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
I just brought in a 32" in its original box. No questions, no payment, nada. 220U$D for the TV, 40U$D charged by AAirlines. Total cost $260...........

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
Which airport?

So how did Customs miss that do you think???

They did not miss it. It was in its original box, uncovered (no wrappings) . Hard to miss! It was under the $500 gift limit. They did not even ask, they turned the box over to read something and passed us through.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
i bought a 32" Samsung LCD that was on sale in Best Buy Miami. A bargain at $170. At that price I thought what the heck. I checked it in with AA in it's original box and flew to POP.

Customs at POP spotted it. I showed the receipt and was charged 3,000 pesos duty.

Still a bargain though!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Seems like "Customs" in "PP", and "Sti" are a LOT MORE strict than in "SD"!
I come in at 4am. maybe that explains it????
Have brought in computers, cameras,monitors, everything "No Problema".
10 years ago I had to give the inspector 500 pesos, in the last 5 years I have always been waved through, or just ignored.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
At el Catey, last Wednesday, my carryon had not one stitch of clothing in it.
All kitchen stuff, crackers, a new mother board for my driver, fabric for chairs.... loaded.

And they x-ray every incoming bag there.

Zip, Zero, Zilch...... smile, nod, gracias, como esta, saludos.... my whole vocabulary.