MY HUGE CURIOSITY..

E

Ed and Mame

Is "Presidente" the only beer in DR ?
When a person posts a message (and/or reply) I like to know if that person is LIVING IN THE DR - or where? Also, DR is something like 400-500 miles (don't know km) E - W and N - S, so when people ask questions about DR, they should be specific about what area/city they want to know about. I used to be pretty general when I was asking my first questions but, now that I've been there -- and continue to study maps and information -- I realize that "where in the DR?" is important in order to get an educated reply. Currently, we're pondering over the thought of spending Dec. thru March in Las Galeras (NE Samana Peninsula. That's how much WE love DR !! -Mame-

D

Doug

Ed and Mame; you can get any type of beer in the DR (you just can't get them anywhere) but Presidente is the only beer that most places carry, there are a few different types of beer brewed locally, but they are not distributed as widely as presidente is. And the country is about 300 miles wide(east to west) by about 120 from north to south. It has apprx 18,700 sq miles or 42,500 km square.

A

Anny Mosity

Why would you choose an out of the way place like Las Galeras when you can enjoy civilized comforts in Puerto Plata, Santiago or Santo Domingo?

J

jim

For the same reasons my family and I are heading there tomorrow morning for a few days and I live in one of those cites you mentioned. Absolutely beautiful, quiet, a bay with calm, clear, turquoise water and nothing else to do but sit in it until you look like a prune....dinner in the Mata Rosada back in Samana town or at the Club Bonito in Las Galeras itself or at the Gran Bahia a few minutes away. Normally I work 7 days a week from 7:30 am to midnight. Who needs the city for a vacation. And there IS comfort there if you know where to go.

S

Sarah

Why would you choose civilized comforts when you could enjoy an out of the way place like Las Galeras?

E

Ed and Mame

Thanks for that miles information !! Where you guys been??

-Mame-

E

Ed and Mame

Simple: we don't like cities - we like villages, small towns, quiet.... To each his own, y'know? -Mame-

E

Ed and Mame

I've talked about this before, but I'll repeat - as we have some new people. This has to do with the subject of where any one person prefers to visit - whether in the DR or anywhere else in the world, it's a matter of personal preferences, you know? Let's consider the facts of age: most older people, like us, like "small, quiet, peaceful; don't need noise, partying, crowds, etc." and, in general, that's the nature of being old. Young people like (and need ...) partying, music, dancing, and all that stuff. However, there are, in fact, older people who like what the young people like; some younger people prefer what the old folks like. So, you see, as human beings, we are individuals, each to his own preferences. That's why I say that "where in the DR do YOU want to be/go...?" Simple as that.
You tell us what you like; we tell you what we like - that's nice, and interesting, too. Later ... -Mame and Ed, too-

D

DR1

Note the IP address....

"codetel.net.do" the ending tells you it comes from Codetel so the person must be connecting from the DR.

Also if you see this IP "200.50.10.32" its from Tricom, also from the DR.

As you can see, many of the contributors on this board are DR based.

Rob.

M

Marilyn

Las Galeras: civilized, virgin, beautiful

When I go to DR on vacation I stay in my house in Santo Domingo and vacation in Las Galeras, Barahona or Pedernales...uncivilized? not in the least... virgin, quiet, beautiful...definitely.