Bought New Refrigerator fr Plaza Llama - Santiago

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
On Black Friday, I purchased a Whirlpool French Door 23c.f. fridge from Plaza Llama, for RD$100K (US$2,500). The same model sells on Amazon for US$2,100. I thought this was a pretty good deal, but I heard that their fridges might be 'refurbished' or something. I've had it now almost a month and its working great.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Plaza Lama" selling "Referbs" has been an "Urban Legend" here in the DR for decades!!!!
You Done Very Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May it keep all your beer "Bien Fria" for 25 years!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
All my major appliances( washers, dryers, TVs,air conditioners,stoves,refrigerators,radios, etc.) were purchased from "Plaza Lama" over the past 20 years+.
Only problem was an 18,000 btu, window air conditioner purchased about 17 years ago.
They could never seem to repair it correctly.
I found a great repair shop that kept it running for over 10 years.
It may still be running today!
I'll never know, because the guy they sent to pick it up for a cleaning, and repair, STOLE IT!!!!!
He stole ALL the units he was sent to collect that day as well.
"What A Country!"

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you have the "Moolah", why not buy the fridge that you need, or even want?????
My next fridge will be a stainless steel, french door, freezer on the bottom, model as well.
CC

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Stainless steel is beautiful, but watch-out for the finger prints. Hearsay has it, they're a bitch.

Jan 17, 2009
We bought ours for about $2,000 in Plaza Lama last year, also Whirlpool, stainless steel, French doors, bottom freezer, 25". We started having problems about six months after purchase. Called Plaza Lama and they sent a technician. Honestly, I'm still scratching my head about how he told me to solve my problem: lower the freezer temp. It was set as per factory instructions (4) and was ice free for about 6-7 months. Then, ice starting forming all over the freezer walls and racks, to the point that even the door got stuck. It works fairly ok at a lower temp but obviously our meats are not as well frozen as they used to be.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
My Stainless Steel Westinghouse for 21K pesos from Plaza Lama is the greatest reefer ever.

One thing I have noticed over the years. Plaza Lama gets a lot of "Damaged" items. If you ever look closely at the appliances(especially reefers), most will have a dent or scratch somewhere.

That's why one has to be very careful in selecting what they want, and make sure you demand a new one still in the box, or the one you chose from the floor, is the one that will be delivered to your door.

Negotiate the price first so they think you're going to take the floor model, then once you have a price, tell them it has to be one in the box.

If your into damaged items on the cheap, repaired can be just as good....just bought me a white 'side by side' one in Miami for $150 to ship down there.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If your into damaged items on the cheap, repaired can be just as good....just bought me a white 'side by side' one in Miami for $150 to ship down there.

Big difference in buying damaged goods for a discount and buying damaged goods sold as brand new for full price.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have the Stainless , French door, Freezer below.

Sears Outlet, Scratch and Dent dept.... not $2700, $750 + $300 shipping

All the scratch/dents products have full warranty - worth zero when you ship out of :cry:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I have heard "men" talking about the new Porsche Carrera 991, pool tables, football season tickets, basketball season tickets, even had a friend tell me about a new bar he has installed in his basement AKA "man cave", but I have NEVER heard any man talk about a new refrigerator LOL!!!!

BTW My grandmother has a sewing machine she is not using if any of you guys want it? Just throwing it out there LOL:)

Dec 26, 2011
I have the Stainless , French door, Freezer below.

Sears Outlet, Scratch and Dent dept.... not $2700, $750 + $300 shipping

All the scratch/dents products have full warranty - worth zero when you ship out of :cry:

The Sears outlet is a great resource. Got a 1200$ fridge for 575$.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Negotiate the price first so they think you're going to take the floor model, then once you have a price, tell them it has to be one in the box.

LOL.........And make sure that the box has not been openned and re-taped. But there, we are getting into my territory...As in slightly obsessive-compulsive. I will go so far as to reach into the back of the shelf to get a can (of anything/foodstuffs) and bypass all the perfectly (supposedly) good cans in front.
Or if I'm buying a newspaper, I will very rarely take the one on the top of the pile. I'll reach down about two or three deep to get an untouched version.
Call me crazy but then again, it takes all sorts...............no ?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
LOL.........And make sure that the box has not been openned and re-taped. But there, we are getting into my territory...As in slightly obsessive-compulsive. I will go so far as to reach into the back of the shelf to get a can (of anything/foodstuffs) and bypass all the perfectly (supposedly) good cans in front.
Or if I'm buying a newspaper, I will very rarely take the one on the top of the pile. I'll reach down about two or three deep to get an untouched version.
Call me crazy but then again, it takes all sorts...............no ?

I thought I was the only one that does this.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I NEVER take the top paper...... and have been known to take the second item from the front.... or deeper.

Except when the women line up..... I'm fair there.
First come, first served