mailboxes etc a joke?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I finally set up an account with mailboxes etc. That part was painless. I ordered a bunch of stuff on amazon and had it shipped to MBE.

The first item was a bradley smoker that cost about 370 bucks. After a short time I got an email saying it was in SDQ and ready for pick up. Great. They say estimated charge was 7,000 something pesos. ok.

We go there and they bring out a Showtme rotisserie overn that I had also ordered. I did not receive an email for that one. It took me 20 minutes to explain to them that I had another package there. The dope behind the counter was chewing gum or something so he was mumbling and not even my fiance understood a word he was saying. He got mad when I asked him what friggin language he was speaking as it was fast, low volume and mumbling.

They finally tracked down my package and said it was in customs. 15,000 pesos to clear it. PLUS. . .8,000 pesos for MBE service. So. . .pretty much 100% in duties plus 200 to ship? I don't think there is any product that has 100% duties but when you ask the dopey mumbling idiot you get blank stares.

At those prices I can buy a ticket to miami and bring it in myself and not deal with the dopes at MBE.

Oh well, live and learn.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
yes everyone who ships as gone through it. A 450 laptop computer cost me 285 to ship it. i ship by other means now

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dude. you did not do your homework. everything above 200 bucks pays adaunas. sometimes a lot.
if you ship something heavy or expensive use mudanza not a courier!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
100% tax on anything is outrageous. I've never paid more than 40% tax on the most frivolous items...

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I've never brought an Iphone, but I have had sent phones of similar values by courier. If I remember correctly, there's a 39% tax on cell phones. So, you do the math. I still find it attractive.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They really don't care what the "Invoice" says you paid.
They use their HUGE computer listing that includes EVERYTHING sold in the entire World, and what THey say it should cost to enter.
Really!
I looked through the book at a "Mudanza" Guy's house once.
It even has cereal, "Cherrios" if I remember!
More than a few pounds, Go "Mudanza"!
Or, I brought in a 700 US Dollar "PC" on Dec. 1st. in my huge "Carry-On"!
They NEVER check bags at SD airport anymore.
CCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
They really don't care what the "Invoice" says you paid.
They use their HUGE computer listing that includes EVERYTHING sold in the entire World, and what THey say it should cost to enter.
Really!
I looked through the book at a "Mudanza" Guy's house once.
It even has cereal, "Cherrios" if I remember!
We shipped hundreds of items with our MotoCaribe van and trailer, all in 63 boxes.

The aduanas guy would open a box and then look in his book.

12v winch? There. Come-a-long? In it. Portable inverter? Yup. Frisbees? Uh huh. Mask/fins/snorkels. Ditto. 10' tent/awnings? You got it.

Not much gets past them unless they get bored and just ask for a tip to go away and quit digging...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have never heard anything good about MBE in Santo Domingo.

EPS, CPS, AeroPaq are leagues ahead of them in service etc.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so what would be the best way to send a iphone from miami to sdq?

fake the invoice as: used, refurbished, scratch and dent, 59 dollars. sometimes the sellers will do it for you. ask the thing to be sent without the box, wrapped up in a newspaper and bubble wrap.

i mean, that's what i hear. not that i ever did anything like this, no.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
it's better to PM such advices....that's my opinion :)
fake the invoice as: used, refurbished, scratch and dent, 59 dollars. sometimes the sellers will do it for you. ask the thing to be sent without the box, wrapped up in a newspaper and bubble wrap.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I just received a cell phone from China. Excellent phone, cost $182 US and 195 pesos shipped here by EPS. On the package they put "Gift" $20. Of course it did not matter as it was under 200, but the merchants will put any price on it you request most of the time. Customs has no clue about phones like these even if it is over the limit.

EPS is miles ahead of MBE dealing with customs anyway.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
so what would be the best way to send a iphone from miami to sdq?

If you like you can send it through an Apple vendor, of which we are. If you want our details then PM me. Right now I can even save you the bother of buying abroad, if you like. I am 100% Apple distribution vendor verified!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Well, even I know everything above 200 bucks pays adaunas, and I have never imported anything.

I know that over 200 means aduanas. I thoight worst case would be 50% or so. Never thought there was 100% on any products. It had a legit amazon invoice.

If we weren't in the middle of box embargo season i would just check it as baggage from MIA.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

Go figure. I thought importing used electronic devices was prohibited. Stupid me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Next time get a quote from a Door to Door shipper for anything of that size. If you don't like the quote don't get it, if you do then you pay what they quoted.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I just received a cell phone from China. Excellent phone, cost $182 US and 195 pesos shipped here by EPS. On the package they put "Gift" $20. Of course it did not matter as it was under 200, but the merchants will put any price on it you request most of the time. Customs has no clue about phones like these even if it is over the limit.

EPS is miles ahead of MBE dealing with customs anyway.
Which phone did you get?