Got Milk????

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think he is talking about 2% milk in the dairy case, and NOT "UHT",(Ultra High Temp.) milk sitting on a shelf????
My advice is to drink 2% UHT milk. You WILL get used to it!!!
I swear!!!
The stuff that's in the refigerator display goes "Sour" really fast, if it's not already when you buy it!
And it cost MORE than "Boxed Milk", if that's possible!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I absolutely LOVE milk!
It makes my "Bone" hard! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Sometimes! :cry::cry::cry:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
one bad thing about the DR- no icy cold liquid skim milk in gallons. Never got used to that powdered or boxed stuff.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Keep Trying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I sloooooooowly transitioned my kids to "Skim Milk".
I buy both the "Boxed", and the big cans of "Powdered" as well.
The Powdered has gone up to 950 pesos for 1,800 grams.
I think it's worth it, for their health.
CCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i said this in listamilk thread: here in POP there are small trucks doing rounds every morning, with fresh farm milk. boil before drinking.
i am sure it is the same all over the country. local produce from local farmers.

logan99

Jan 7, 2013
I never have heard about that stuff Just interesting in drinking cow milk and its benefits Sorry could not help you but still gained a lot of information.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, this is just a personal note. to this day my brother - nearly 40 years old - drinks minimum one liter of milk a day. i, on the other hand, always hated the stuff. even as a child i would refuse all milk products.
i remember one day in summer school i was given a glass of warm milk and told i will not be able to leave until i had drunk it all. i looked at the teacher defiantly and flung the damn glass at the wall. i was kicked out of school - for good - within minutes. and i did not have to drink anything! win win. :)

james

Jan 14, 2002

I rececently read this (see below) for the second time in last few months....maybe some of you doctors out there can say if its true or not....it seems to make sense:

"Television commercials and advice from your doctor lead you to believe the secret to strong, healthy bones is drinking milk and taking drugs.

But that's a huge misconception and a big lie, says Vivian Goldschmidt, MA, founder of Save Our Bones - the world's largest natural osteoporosis community.
Sure your bones need calcium, but if you consume large quantities of milk, you're actually draining your bones of this much needed mineral.

Here's why milk is a brutal bone thief:

Milk has an acidifying effect on your body.

Let me explain. Everything we put into our body gets processed and alters its acid/alkaline balance. And like everything in nature, the body tries to correct the imbalance. So because milk has an acidifying effect, your body automatically pulls calcium out of your bones to neutralize the acid attack.

Why calcium?

Because it is a potent neutralizer. That's why the main ingredient in some antacids is calcium.

Think of milk entering the body like a raging forest fire and your body's natural processes is the team of brave firefighters. So your body jumps into action and uses
calcium to put out the acidic attack. And even though milk contains 300 mg of calcium in one cup, unfortunately, the net result is a calcium deficit in your bones.

So what should you drink instead?

Vivian recommends drinking almond or rice milk as a delicious alternative to milk. And unsweetened fermented or cultured dairy products such as yogurt, kefir, and sour cream are okay to enjoy.

This is just some of shocking information in Vivian Goldschmidt's Save Our Bones Program.

In her program, Vivian proves that your bone health is in your hands, and if you give them what you need and stop consuming bone thieving foods and drinks you can have the bones you had when you were younger - without the help of your doctor and of drugs"

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
Rica 1% in the box is not too bad .. refrigerate after opening - only I like here that is close to home. USA

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Most Dominican women drink quite a bit of "Leche"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Makes their skin smooth as silk, and may have other health benefits as well.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Most Dominican women drink quite a bit of "Leche"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Makes their skin smooth as silk, and may have other health benefits as well.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Just my luck! My last couple dominicanas definitely didnt like leche.... at least not drinking it... :p

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Ok I know this might sound really picky but my fiancee and I are going insane trying to find some what we call regular milk. Especially the 2% one with the blue cap. Someone PLEASE tell me I can find this here.

http://emsolo.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/half_gallon_2_milk.jpg

Closest you're going to get in the D.R. to fresh milk is this:

Rica Leche Entera 32 Oz.

If you find it in a supermarket, make sure its cold, cross your fingers and hope it isnt already sour. If it isnt, drink it within 12 hrs or it will go bad. No such thing as fresh 2% milk in the D.R.. Only the UHT non-refrigerated kind which will taste very odd for a few years but you will kinda get used to it. I never have.

I used to be a big milk drinker back home in the states but have pretty much just completely given the stuff up. Except for the occasional bit with some cereal.

UHT milk is horrible. This country needs to get their $hit together when it comes to milk and beef.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm supposed to like milk I guess coming from Holland but I have always disliked it for two reasons:

1. It comes out of a cow without any packaging
2. I can't see if there's something inside the milk before drinking it.

As a child a glass of milk was obligated at breakfast, but by time my mother realized how much I hated it and let me drink tea instead. I had to eat yoghurt every day though, but for some reason that doesn't bother me at all.

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006
I LOVE my milk and every time I go to the DR I come home with milk withdrawls. LOL The first thing I order on the plane is a glass of milk. Your never too old to drink milk !!! Nothing like a glass of ice cold milk. :)

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
You do not know what you're missing...a wedge of country bread....some good cheese....washed down with a pint of double cream milk.... note the milk should be cold not chilled for the flavour..... that's why Ireland was voted in the top 10 of places to be born.....need I say more??? Oh by the way the USA came.....27th in the table....Poland didn't get a mention...sorry.

oh, this is just a personal note. to this day my brother - nearly 40 years old - drinks minimum one liter of milk a day. i, on the other hand, always hated the stuff. even as a child i would refuse all milk products.
i remember one day in summer school i was given a glass of warm milk and told i will not be able to leave until i had drunk it all. i looked at the teacher defiantly and flung the damn glass at the wall. i was kicked out of school - for good - within minutes. and i did not have to drink anything! win win. :)