New Haiti Hotel opens.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
And Haiti's first Marriott will break ground this December 19th and will open in 2014.

6a0120a73c0f0d970b0162fcfda9d2970d-800wi

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
And Haiti's first Best Western Premier has been under construction and will open in 2013

Best Western to Open First U.S.-Branded Hotel in Haiti

By Kerry Medina
May 21, 2012 10:40 PM

Dallas-based Aimbridge Hospitality has been chosen to manage the new Best Western Premier Petion-Ville Hotel in Haiti. The hotel, which is being built near Port-au-Prince, will be the first U.S.-branded and managed hotel in Haiti when it opens in the fall of 2013.
The Best Western Premier Petion-Ville is owned by Carabimmo, Inc., which is based in Haiti and saw a need for a higher-end hotel project to host business travelers in the Port-au-Prince area. The hotel is located about five miles from the airport in the Port-au-Prince suburb of Petion-Ville. The seven-story, 106-room hotel will feature 2,000 square feet of meeting and event space to cater to business travelers.
In addition to a full service restaurant and room service, the Best Western Premier Petion-Ville will have doormen, 40-inch flat-screen TVs and wireless Internet in each guest room, and a gym and a spa located on the property. There will also be a Presidential Suite and two Governors Suites available.
?We are privileged to have been chosen to manage the Best Western Premier Petion-Ville in Haiti, and believe it is a great opportunity in a growing country,? said Dave Johnson, president and CEO of Aimbridge. In November, Marriott International announced plans for a $45 million, 173-room Port-au-Prince hotel, with construction to begin this year and opening scheduled for mid-2014.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
This is a small step but one that will hopefully put people to work. Because of the vast number of problems that Haiti has it is going to be difficult to build back a tourist industry. I think most people from North America and Europe are not considering Haiti at all. The pictures that are seen on TV have scared most people away,

LTSteve

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
This is a small step but one that will hopefully put people to work. Because of the vast number of problems that Haiti has it is going to be difficult to build back a tourist industry. I think most people from North America and Europe are not considering Haiti at all. The pictures that are seen on TV have scared most people away,

LTSteve

you can go years before you ever hear anyone mention Haiti in the USA unlees you know someone from there or its on the news. No one ever says I want to go to Haiti for a vacation before or since the earthquake.. Mexico is about the most popular place it seems now, even with the drug problems. Maybe the nice new hotels will help the image. The news in the USA never shows anything nice about Haiti.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Very nice hotel. Hopefully this is a sign of the new rising Haiti.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
The new hotel is not really aimed at foreign pleasure tourists.

It is for business people, NGO personel, visiting diplomats, conferences, events by the local elite, and visiting haitian diasporas.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Doubt at that price you would get the "pleasure" tourists. Per the pics looks good.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
you can go years before you ever hear anyone mention Haiti in the USA unlees you know someone from there or its on the news. No one ever says I want to go to Haiti for a vacation before or since the earthquake.. Mexico is about the most popular place it seems now, even with the drug problems. Maybe the nice new hotels will help the image. The news in the USA never shows anything nice about Haiti.

But you do know that Haiti was a tourist mecca back in the Pappa and baby doc eras, right? When there was NOTHING going on here in the DR.. No Punta Cana.. just a strip on the north coast perhaps.

Haiti had a wonderful reputation and was amazing as a destination. Right about up to ... well.. the fall of Duvalier in 86

Even today, I doubt that there is much here in the DR that can match the elegance and service of some of the hotels..

Certainly the Ovando, or the Jaragua or the Melia could not hold a candle to the Montana

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
But you do know that Haiti was a tourist mecca back in the Pappa and baby doc eras, right? When there was NOTHING going on here in the DR.. No Punta Cana.. just a strip on the north coast perhaps.

Haiti had a wonderful reputation and was amazing as a destination. Right about up to ... well.. the fall of Duvalier in 86

Even today, I doubt that there is much here in the DR that can match the elegance and service of some of the hotels..

Certainly the Ovando, or the Jaragua or the Melia could not hold a candle to the Montana

Please provide links, and or, photos depicting the glamor you're boasting about.

Lavidi

Aug 17, 2011
When Dominican business entrepreneur Frank Ranieri wanted to get involved in tourism in the 1970s, he crossed the border into Haiti to see how it was done. “[Haiti’s tourism] was bigger than in the Dominican Republic,” Ranieri says.

A New Dawn for Haiti Tourism?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Please provide links, and or, photos depicting the glamor you're boasting about.

i lived there for a year in 1979..

we had ibo beach, ibo lele, the oloffson, kaliko beach, club med, various hotels in Petionville where I never went except for lunch once..

there are old hotels in Cap Haitian...

the tourism industry in Haiti was very well developed.

long before there were links to post

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
that is why the Clintons went there on their honeymoon

oloffson rooms let me see

mick jagger
grahame greene
jonathan demme

a very world class destination

omg.. habitation le clerc?

Katherine Dunham studying dance...

ay it... ayiti has a rich and full history since the 50s

david x young..

it was a DESTINATION

sadly sorta gone.. at least the secure paradise end of it all..

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
i lived there for a year in 1979..

we had ibo beach, ibo lele, the oloffson, kaliko beach, club med, various hotels in Petionville where I never went except for lunch once..

there are old hotels in Cap Haitian...

the tourism industry in Haiti was very well developed.

long before there were links to post

You have not answered my question, surely there must still be some sort or archive to prove your claim, please provide for all us on this forum to see.

Someone somewhere must still have photos of this "glamor" you speak of, please provide.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
You have not answered my question, surely there must still be some sort or archive to prove your claim, please provide for all us on this forum to see.

Someone somewhere must still have photos of this "glamor" you speak of, please provide.

i did not have a camera

there was no internet

please do not believe me if you think that i am prevaricating