Cold and Flu Meds

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Ok so maybe it's just the pharmacies I have visited so far but I can't find any of the cold and flu brands that I am used to seeing. Like Tylenol Cold and Flu, Thera Flu etc.. I was even looking for Zantac 150 and Prilosec OTC and the pharmacist had no clue as to what I was saying. Can someone tell me if there is a specific place that I am supposed to go to or is there another name for these medicines here. Thanks

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Sinutab in pills and tea works for me. I've seen Thera-Flu teas here in just about all pharmacies...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, this is not kansas :)
the meds sold in DR are made mostly in south america by SA companies. there are few labs brought from USA or europe including the medicine you may know already, but sold here under different brand names.
antigripal:
there is tabcin here. both in effervescent tablets and in liquid gel capsules. no theraflu anymore but there is sinutab or winasorb in tea and in pills. just ask for anything for gripe, it will be roughly the same crap you already know. the compounds are similar in most products.

zantac is ranitidina, normally sold here in 300mg version, somewhat 150mg does not appeal to dominicans :) 8 pesos per pill.
prilosec is omeprazole, in the form of 20 or 40mg pill. 6 pesos for 20mg and 25 pesos for 40mg.

before you set off to buy anything google it and check the main compound. ask for that specifically, not for a brand.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
You can find Tylenol at any big pharmacy. You're in SD, I think, so make sure to go to any Farmacia Carol or Farmax. Try to stay away from the small, independent pharmacies, many have been found guilty of selling fake medicines..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
two reasons: first, they cannot calculate that (and i am NOT kidding). and secondly they prefer to take one large pill instead of two.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Flu season in full effect in NY. Everyone I know is sick. yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Flu shots , People.... flu shots.

I missed last year and was struck almost dead w/ the gripe............... AWFUL!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Funny Friday or Backwards day?

That sort of thing happen to you much ... like that fellow in L'il Abner?? Raincloud over his head?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
i used to get every year until 2 years ago. I was sick the whole winter after receiving the shot.
I've been sick for almost a week. It's not as bad now but last week I couldn't even get out of bed to answer the phone. I normally go through one tough cold/flu every 2-3 years or so but nothing like this. I still have the nasty coughs but I am I feel much better now. I guess being close to 40, my body could be saying it's time for me to get flu shots. :(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
could have been dengue. we have another outbreak with all the rain. daughter of our maid is in a hospital and when i was in the emergency yesterday i heard about more patients with dengue...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm feeling a bit under weather D, do know a nurse?:eek:

Who makes house calls ???

I hope it's not terminal...........:surprised